Jolly Star Grinder Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi,

First post on this forum. Far from being an expert on chainsaws and grinders... but for some reason I like this stuff and wants to know more.

i purchased a Jolly star grinder in very good condition. As new. I have set it up and watched a few vids on YouTube on how to use it.

Question: when grinding the rakers down... you are supposed to do te first one manually with a depth gage to set the grinders for the other ones. Are there different depth gages to use for different types of chains?

Sorry as this is likely a very basic question but I have yet to find the answer.

D7D33074-1636-48F5-AF6C-BBC9A5D03529.png If you’re going to sharpen all the teeth to the same length with your grinder I’d probably use one of these They lay across the top two teeth If you hand file I like the progressive depth guage better as it can adjust each depth guage / raker for each individual tooth. The guage I added in the picture works for basically any chain. I have two of them one in .025 and one in .030. I have since gotten the progressive ones and I like those better.

View attachment 664436 If you’re going to sharpen all the teeth to the same length with your grinder I’d probably use one of these They lay across the top two teeth If you hand file I like the progressive depth guage better as it can adjust each depth guage / raker for each individual tooth. The guage I added in the picture works for basically any chain. I have two of them one in .025 and one in .030. I have since gotten the progressive ones and I like those better.
When dressing the wheel for the takers... what angle should I use on the tilt arm?

When dressing the wheel for the takers... what angle should I use on the tilt arm?
The manual suggest 75 degrees on the unit but when looking at the videos on you tube for the Oregon units, some show it is done at 90 degrees and some others at 60degrees.

hi,

First post on this forum. Far from being an expert on chainsaws and grinders... but for some reason I like this stuff and wants to know more.

i purchased a Jolly star grinder in very good condition. As new. I have set it up and watched a few vids on YouTube on how to use it.

Question: when grinding the rakers down... you are supposed to do te first one manually with a depth gage to set the grinders for the other ones. Are there different depth gages to use for different types of chains?

Sorry as this is likely a very basic question but I have yet to find the answer.
When sharpening a chain, what is the acceptable difference in length of the cutters between left and right?

I though i saw or heard somewhere that someone took a new chain and on one side didn't touch the cutters, and the other, they ground back to the witness mark, adjusting depth gauges accordingly. It amazed a lot of people, but it cut fine. Wish i could remember where that was... Buckin Billy Ray maybe?

One of the dealers I patronize did that, but they ground back the cutters half way on one side and then adjusted the depth gauges.

Not sure if that's what you were referencing since they did not take the cutters down to the witness marks.

Latest posts

Back