ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Jonesred Chainsaws?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Snakebit12, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Snakebit12

Snakebit12 ArboristSite Lurker

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some opinions.

I "may" have destroyed my 15-year old Husky 351 today. The muffler bolts came loose while in use and the exhaust melted the housing something awful - a quick google search showed that I am not the only one to experience this. I can only blame a cold for not smelling the burning plastic. Waiting on the repair estimate but am cognizant of throwing too much money into a 15-year old chainsaw.

I stopped by a local dealer who is closing out on Jonesred equipment. As I understand it, Jonesred no longer makes chainsaws? I also was under the impression that their saws are basically red Huskys.

I was interested in the CS 2152/18" (Husky 545 MSRP $500) and a CS 2260/20" (Husky 362XP MSRP $750). He quoted me cash prices of $423 for the 2152 and $672 for the 2260...10-15% lower than Husky. They would come with the standard 2-year warranty which can be doubled by purchasing 3 cans of pre-mixed gas per chainsaw. The local dealer would service the units.

He also quoted me $1,071 cash for both as I may need to replace the Husky 351 (with the 2152) and would also like a bigger saw (the 2260) for some of the bigger jobs that I sometimes face.

It makes me a little nervous that Jonesred is not making these units any more but the prices (albeit cash) are much better than the comparable Husky MSRPs. Around here, Husky MSRP = Husky sales price. Seeing the same thing on the internet.

I am guessing that these units have been sitting on his shelf for over a year? Thinking that he should throw in the premix fuel (and therefore the 4-yr warranty) for free.

I would greatly appreciate any and all thoughts on this.

chipper1 likes this.
  2. Marley5

Marley5 ArboristSite Operative

I'd jump on both Reds, fine saws and only the name is discontinued as they're Husqvarna.....parts will remain readily available.

chipper1 likes this.
  3. Allar

Allar ArboristSite Lurker

2152 - husqvarna 353
    2260 - husqvarna 560xp

Marley5 likes this.
  4. Snakebit12

Snakebit12 ArboristSite Lurker

Agreed - But I found out by checking serial numbers that the 2152 was manufactured in 2012; the 2260 in 2013.

No way I pay anything near retail on saws that would be "6-years old" after one pull of the starter cord.

sixonetonoffun likes this.
  5. Allar

Allar ArboristSite Lurker

Not sure about the retail on your country. The 560xp is going for rougly 900$ in my country and the husqvarna 353 is no longer made.

I owned husqvarna 353 and it is really really good little saw, it's exactly like the legendary 346xp but with more torque.
    Husqvarna 560xp is also a good saw and really loved by european loggers.

I would personaly pay extra to get the jonsered version but that's just me.

Dahmer and sixonetonoffun like this.
  6. cus_deluxe

cus_deluxe Thats what she said.

What melted on ur 351? 351 is a mag case saw...
    If he really has a 2152 i would buy that.