Jonsered 2065 build thread sort of....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen me mention this Jred before and how I picked it up for little money. This saw has had at least three different 50mm top ends on it and multiple piston types. After seeing someone put an HD filter setup on their own Jred it got my wheels turning.

What I planned on doing:

Velocity stack with green weenie filter that will poke up through the top cover

Swap out 268 slab sided piston for windowed 268 piston with a .030" pop up cut on it.

Re-work the porting a little bit

Dye fuel tank black.

The current top end on this saw was a OEM 50mm cylinder with .040" cut off the band and a 268 slab sided piston in it at these numbers 100 122 84. With a 268 piston the skirts are shorter and 84 is just where the intake lands at without even moving it. 84 is lower than I generally port saws at but oh well. This saw ran decent. I wasn't super excited about it but it cut well before break in.

I already had a 268 windowed piston with a .030" pop up cut on it for a different project that never materialized. The windowed piston seems to be the more popular version of this piston so I wanted to give it a go. In order to make this pop up work I had to machine off .030" off the base. This put my intake now at 86! Oh well I knew this would be the outcome but wanted to see what happened anyways. Next I raised the exhaust 2 degrees. Numbers now sit here. 98 122 86. I left the transfer timing alone just to see how it would run with a blown down of 24. I did a little casting line removal here.
12.jpg 13.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg
Now on to the Velocity stack... When I came across Stoekle Stacks on FB I was pretty excited. I DMed the man himself looking for a stack and just for general conversation and well his prices were quite a bit more compared to if I bought his own product from @Definitive Dave. So I went the Dave route and saved money. Sadly when I received it one of the AV mounts was broken and I can understand why. The mounts are extremely flimsy. The other one broke just trying to mount it up. (turns out Stoekle has an updated version with stronger mounts) All in all it should still be fine. I wasn't all the please with the quality of the stack to be honest. I ended up sanding the whole inside of it.
1.jpg 11.jpg 7.jpg
Next I dyed the tank. Being a 1997 model year saw the tank was very faded. Rit dye, a bucket, and a heater did the trick. About 40 mins for each end of the tank. Turned out pretty nice. Not new but an improvement for sure. Dye will not hide or get rid of stains.
14.jpg 15.jpg 10.jpg

Ultrasonic cleaners are the shizzzzz!
17.jpg
You can see here the broken AV mount.
3.jpg
Temporary air filter.
9.jpg

The saw cut decent. I expected more compression from having .040 off the squish band and a .030" pop up. Will see what happens after the ring seats. I'm going to raise the transfers 4 degrees for a blown down of 20. Right now it's just not screaming like it should be. The 268 windowed piston is very snappy. Tonight the Green weenie comes in so next will be installing that and cutting the top cover.

Also the clutch cover is very ugly. I ordered one of those AM covers from lil red barn that they paint red. If you look at it too hard the paint will jump right off revealing orange. Although its kind of silly I think I will sand it down and cover it with carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I've come this far so why not lol

Do you think that having the intake at 86 is hurting performance atall?

It might. The intake closes later thus it has less time to compress the air in the crankcase before the transfers open. I suppose if I’m still not happy with it after the transfers move up I could epoxy the intake back up.

Well I tried to vinyl wrap and it’s kind of hard. I gave up after two tries. The vinyl seems pretty durable. But I just sanded it down and spray painted it. I’m sure that won’t last long either
B9D4F597-6AA2-4168-85A5-2EA4D054CAD9.jpeg 7E8BE9E2-C282-4440-9DC3-B8FF4BFC8895.jpeg AFDB97B1-B6BB-4E6F-8700-CD18892E6A3B.jpeg

Back