Jonsered 2149?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking at the Husky 351. Stopped at a Stihl/Husky/Jonsered dealer over the holiday travels and picked up the catalog but didn't have time to look around or ask questions. The 2149 looks and specs out like the Husky 351. Are these the same saws? Jonsered is showcasing the 2149 in the catalog and rates it as a pro saw whereas Husky doesn't? Anyone got the skinny? I am really leaning toward a Husky 351 with a 18" bar and 34LG Oregon chain as my new woods partner.

Thumper

Howdy,

I believe you will be far happier with the Jonsereds 2149. Equip it with 3/8 professional chisel chain, if you want to do some serious woodcutting. I have a friend who uses one of these for professional harvesting of firewood and christmas trees every year. The weakest link on it is the damn choke button design. The damn plastic lapse of some engineer's imagination, sticks out right where it will snag on your boot laces when starting the cold saw. After you replace this choke design with a solid wire one; (I made one out of the choke for a 140 Husky by straightening out the bend in the middle of the wire to lengthen it to fit) You will have an excellent chainsaw.

The saw runs almost too well. You need to keep it correctly tuned and with a 50:1 mix with top quality aircooled two cycle oil and 90 plus octane gas. I have found this model tends to carbon up badly if used with lesser quality mix oils. I'm not sure why, but possibly because of the small capacity exhaust hole in the muffler and the small firescreen. The firescreen is an excellent design however and easy to clean with a butane torch.

Regards,
Walt Galer

They are the same saw as far as I know. The 351 and 55 are Husqvarnas best consumer model saws, the only thing keeping them from being pro saws is the single ring piston. Magnesium crankcase is much stronger than the 350's plastic one. I prefer .325 chain on 3hp saws. It is less stress on the saw and will allow you to keep the rpms in the powerband. 34LG chain works well. If you want something even more agressive try 21LP.

If you want to know if they're the same saw, remove the gas cap on the 2149 and look at the orange plastic where it threads in. :D

Back