Jonsered 2171 Turbo W

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
084 stihl

Hello john,
enclosed is a photo of a oldder model 084 stihl i just purchased from a retired schoolteacher in pasadena. she says she can't run it all day anymore. says it was built by KD ENGINEERING. I think it might keep up with your 088 stihl
ken

Hi Ken, thats a great looking saw! I think it will outcut my 088 for sure, but it may depend on how much wood were gonna cut and for how long. I got my remington up to snuff thanks to Mike. I got it up to 12,500 without leaning on the high screw to much. I swaped carbs around as the three Bantams had three different carbs, so I installed the one with the hi & lo. I think this lil saw will ride shotgun in the cab of the p/u.
John

hey john! how do you like that jonsered compared to your 372wxpg? more bottom end? are you usually running a 20" bar on both of them?

Hi Otto, I cant say for sure yet cause I havent cut much wood with it yet, but as such I like the saw, Dennis did a nice job on it.
I should be getting into some big wood soon and will video some big chips flying.
John

Remington Bantam

Hello John,
That Bantam would be the perfect saw to carry in your truck incase you have a tree down across the road. I enclosed a picture of a 272 husky barrel that we modified the transfers for a little more flow. I'm sending it up to dennis to play with, maybe he can fit it to the remington bantam. It ought to make a runner out of it.
Ken

Nice cylinder job Ken, I dont think I could do that though. I will leave it to you guys.
Robyn the house wench keeps trying to pry the Bantam from me, but instead I fixed her lil muckaluck.
I noticed the Bantam developes a vaccum in the tank, but other than that it rocks. I think the tank isnt vented, whick may be why they blow up. If it wasnt for Walt saying that the kitchen ????? would want it for sure.
John

Remington chainsaw

Hello john,
Thats a pretty clean saw, I've got a remington down in the basement that looks just like that bantam only larger. looks like a 6 cube saw . has a 1 inch stub pipe for a exhaust and you had better wear ear plugs and a headset. you can hear it 2 miles away but it cut suprisingly well. i'll have to dig it out and run it again.Now this time this is the truth john, I bought it at a freinds garage sale for 20.00
ken

Howdy John,

Do Robin a favor and get her a good little saw. I might suggest a little Homelite EZ if she wants something really cute. This little saw from the '70s was so small and neatly designed that it was downright cute. Originally came with 1/4 pitch semichisel chain, and cut so well that The old timer who was my teacher said "I could make my living with this little thing". (Oregon went so far as to design a 1/4 pitch chisel chain for it, but the idea was dropped after prototypes due to expense of the chain manufacture).

As for the Mini-Mac, not even McCulloch would let their own employees run it for test work. They always hired temporary help! (Donate a Mexican, I guess).

The neatest one was the original EZ model, not to be confused with the EZ-150 which was one of the ugliest ducks ever designed. It literally looked like a duck sitting on the water. The main bearings were caged rollers that they must have salvaged out of some old sprockets. The EZ-250 had an automatic tensioner, that was not one of the better ideas.

Good house wenches with the sense of humor to put up with a Canadian logger, are hard to find. I suggest taking care of her.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Hi Walt, I acually witnessed my first Mac 110 that ran, Robyn has it now and I got the Bantam. Thanks to Mike Rupley, I have a nice little 10" oregon bar on it.
Anyway, I have twiged to your suggestion of getting the Homedelight EZ, I am partial to tiny saws. Maybe Jonathan Hobbs can find me one, however I will hide it from the house wench or she will want that one as well. I was surprised to see that the tiny Muckaluck has two rings but my bantam has none.
John

John, I have three of those Homelite xls. They have crappy fuel lines in them and a funny duckbill oneway valve that pressurizes the oil bag for flow to the bar. When that system of hoses messes up sometimes it shoots bar oil into the exhaust side and boy do they smoke. I was going to sell one to the mosquito abatement district once but if want three little pieces of junk you can have them for $60 plus shipping. I can send pictures of course. BTW I have some mini-mcs also. "Small saws will travel." Mike

Hello, Super EZ's are nice little saws. I have some of them, and love them. I hate to say, it can out cut a 346 xp. My buddy bought a 346xp and brought it over, so we had to run them. 8" poplar the Super EZ whips it every time. I was even using 72V chain. 9,000 no load RPM, 2.5 cubes, Auto and manaul oiler, compression release. It is a little bigger than the bantam, still looks like toy, but cuts like an animal. Jonathan

I love the Super EZ also. I am am trying to get my old man's. She has 30 years on her and runs great. I also have an old blue project saw I am accumulating parts for. They have more snort than any 2.5 cube saw I have ever used.

Hey Jonathan, sounds like a KD--EZ to me, Did you sand bag your buddy? Well thats what they call racing. May be things would be diffrent if ol' KD put the touch on that 346XPKD. Shame on you. Jon

Come on now, it could not have been the KD-EZ because he still has it!! He told me he was still qualifiying the NOS boost selenoid. Alright Ken!! The 346 xp was running 34lg, then he switched to 34sl, needless to say that didn't help much. I not trying to cause a ruckus, just stating the facts. I once put a 10 pin sprocket on a super EZ for limbing, but all it was good for was cutting match sticks. Jonathan

Howdy Home delight man,

Yep, that's the saw I was suggesting John get for his house wench, only I had suggested the blue colored plain EZ version. Same case, slightly smaller disp. different color.

These little buggers had good power because of a heck of a strong low end torque. I guess they were still reed valve engines, which might account for it. I have always thought the shape of the case was one of the best designs ever for a chainsaw. You had your hands well apart for control (in spite of the very small saw) and you had the inertia of the unit ahead of the center of gravity, for good resistance to kickback, and a nice self feed characteristic if you matched it to a proper chain. My favorite on these now is .325 chisel from Windsor. I'm not much of a believer in the Oregon 33-34 series chisels because of the massively unequal pitch and the low profile.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Hello, this is one from the late 70's, early 80's. Very good shape.
Walt, the plain EZ you suggested is great too, manual oiler, 2.1 cubes, and non-padded grips, and there are blue!

Latest posts

Back