Jonsered 49sp saved ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idiot ?

• Yes indeed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just an update. I already had five 621's- all running-but one needed crank bearings, now replaced. After many years they began to feel a bit heavy if only required for smaller jobs. As I had never heard of the 49sp I migrated to various small plastic saws, mostly stihl, but including Makita (now stolen),all Chinese no name's, (far longer life than I expected ) do not dismiss ! and others whose manufacturers I forget.......Then i bought a 49sp at an auction as a non runner and fitted seals and carb kit and used it. I found this saw had bad bearings and it remained a not used runner for ten years or so. Then I aquired the 49sp from a skip and now that saw goes everywhere, and is totally dependable. My problem is that I now have four, one not yet attended to as the weather has improved greatly. One of these is now running on a grafted on coil module from a Homelite super two/ super two v1/xl 2 (China, £6.50-$9 ) it starts even more easily, ticks over smoothly and its coil is freely available and inexpensive. This saw therefore has no points, or points plate or condenser, and one wire only from coil to stop switch.
I do appreciate that this would not win a concours saw competition, but if you like simplicity this could be the solution.
I now need one more 49sp to even things up.
Someone who usually buys hay from me dropped in yesterday with what I thought was a Jonsereds 90, but it turns out it's an 80. It has asked to stay here. It appears to share some parts with the 49sp and perhaps air filter as 621. I have not closely examined the carb yet, but might it also be the same tillotson carb kit ? Crank seals appear to be the same as 49sp ?
It doesn't know it yet, but it's going to make me a fresh kitchen table from a beech trunk too good for firewood, using a Husqvarna 26'' x 3/8 bar that has been shown to be too much for a 621 in a milling frame from Ireland.
So , you are correct..."And so it begins"... but its a very good feeling to be able to rejuvenate a tool that was built to be serviced and repaired then used again, not just thrown away don't you agree ?

Just an update. I already had five 621's- all running-but one needed crank bearings, now replaced. After many years they began to feel a bit heavy if only required for smaller jobs. As I had never heard of the 49sp I migrated to various small plastic saws, mostly stihl, but including Makita (now stolen),all Chinese no name's, (far longer life than I expected ) do not dismiss ! and others whose manufacturers I forget.......Then i bought a 49sp at an auction as a non runner and fitted seals and carb kit and used it. I found this saw had bad bearings and it remained a not used runner for ten years or so. Then I aquired the 49sp from a skip and now that saw goes everywhere, and is totally dependable. My problem is that I now have four, one not yet attended to as the weather has improved greatly. One of these is now running on a grafted on coil module from a Homelite super two/ super two v1/xl 2 (China, £6.50-$9 ) it starts even more easily, ticks over smoothly and its coil is freely available and inexpensive. This saw therefore has no points, or points plate or condenser, and one wire only from coil to stop switch.
I do appreciate that this would not win a concours saw competition, but if you like simplicity this could be the solution.
I now need one more 49sp to even things up.
Someone who usually buys hay from me dropped in yesterday with what I thought was a Jonsereds 90, but it turns out it's an 80. It has asked to stay here. It appears to share some parts with the 49sp and perhaps air filter as 621. I have not closely examined the carb yet, but might it also be the same tillotson carb kit ? Crank seals appear to be the same as 49sp ?
It doesn't know it yet, but it's going to make me a fresh kitchen table from a beech trunk too good for firewood, using a Husqvarna 26'' x 3/8 bar that has been shown to be too much for a 621 in a milling frame from Ireland.
So , you are correct..."And so it begins"... but its a very good feeling to be able to rejuvenate a tool that was built to be serviced and repaired then used again, not just thrown away don't you agree ?
Agree whole heartedly!!!!
The lathe I run at the shop has been doing two shifts a day since the mid 60s. Only rebuilt the cross slide last year.
Same bearings in the head and holds 1/2 thou.
Love to revive the real machines.
And JredS certainly fits the bill

Agree whole heartedly!!!!
The lathe I run at the shop has been doing two shifts a day since the mid 60s. Only rebuilt the cross slide last year.
Same bearings in the head and holds 1/2 thou.
Love to revive the real machines.
And JredS certainly fits the bill
Really super smaller saws. I am totally sold on these. Reliable, powerful, with a good dose of class if you ask me. Very useable. Has anyone found / worked up a suitable alternative for the lower rear handle two part a/v mounting arrangement for the 49sp ?. I have one here I have converted to use the 621 handle a/v mount, but it is my only spare for a 621. N.o.s are not findable here, and postage from elsewhere is outrageous. There has got to be something somewhere that uses similar, but I have not found it yet. Possibly a suitable spring somehow ?

Latest posts

Back