Jonsered 625 II oil pump cover problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriklane

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a decent 625 for cheap, and the oiler wasn't working so good, took the clutch off and oiler, cleaned it all, trying to figure out the design with the only adjustment being that you take a screwdriver and turn the tab, but it goes in entire circle, so you cannot tell what number it's pointing at (1-4), anyway, put it all back together but notice the cover for the oil pump is kind of loose, now have to say I didn't stare at it when I took it apart, but I know I lost no pieces... Some manuals show a plastic deal that fits on the sprocket, but mine doesn't have the rim sprocket, rather the large one piece clutch rim+ sprocket that fits into the gear that runs the oiler.

So what keeps my oiler cover in place? Could something have been lost from prior owner and the fact that the cover stayed in place was just due to grease/dirt?

Here is what I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPUR-SPROCK...560940?hash=item3aab54beac:g:OUEAAOSwYGFUvooC

But when I put mine together, the large cover doesn't stay in place, it flops around a bit. And is that cover supposed to kind of lock onto the hub, thus, meaning it spins? Seems odd that it would spin against the crankcase as that would create a ton of friction and heat. So I'm missing or not getting something.

If you look at other ads for those, they all show the cover attached to the housing. I just don't get how that doesn't become massively hot since it is going to rub in the groove????

Did you replace or very closely inspect the o ring on the oil pump? That is part of the crank seal very important. As far as the pump it should have a spacer/washer between the drive gear and the end of the crank.

The large cover is be welded to the sprocket as shown on your link and it turns with sprocket.If it comes out of splines or loose,then your sprocket has a problem.

Can I see some good pictures of exactly the problem you are having? I have a 625 on my bench and can't really see how the pump could be loose. I'd love to help yoy figure out what is the problem

The metal COVER of the oil pump, not the pump itself. Seems there needs to be a fairly large 'washer' between the sprocket and the pump cover to hold it in place since the cover simply sits against the oil pump...the small design sprocket hubs have that type setup with a plastic 'washer' I guess that serves that purpose. Mine is the large sprocket, it has no rim sprocket.

The metal COVER of the oil pump, not the pump itself. Seems there needs to be a fairly large 'washer' between the sprocket and the pump cover to hold it in place since the cover simply sits against the oil pump...the small design sprocket hubs have that type setup with a plastic 'washer' I guess that serves that purpose. Mine is the large sprocket, it has no rim sprocket.
There is nothing between your oil pump body itself and your sprocket.The large washer with a small"lip" on the outside(welded to sprocket teeth) matches a groove in the pump body to keep the gear clean.Dont need anything else with the type og sprocket you got..

So 2 things-what I'm calling the 'oil pump cover' like in the ebay ad above, is loose from the sprocket, maybe its supposed to be 'welded' or attached somehow, that's fine, mine's not attached. That said, the oil pump gearing surely needs to be covered to prevent dirt/chips from fouling it, so, to the final point, if the 'cover' we're talking about is attached to the sprocket, and rides in that groove, you're telling me that's going to contact the crank body the entire time the saw runs as the sprocket turns ? I don't get it...it can't be that-the heat buildup would be a problem. Sucks that I wasn't looking at this closer BEFORE the first time I took it apart but you know the deal, been working on saws for years and they're pretty simple...'I can do this' mentality...

So 2 things-what I'm calling the 'oil pump cover' like in the ebay ad above, is loose from the sprocket, maybe its supposed to be 'welded' or attached somehow, that's fine, mine's not attached. That said, the oil pump gearing surely needs to be covered to prevent dirt/chips from fouling it, so, to the final point, if the 'cover' we're talking about is attached to the sprocket, and rides in that groove, you're telling me that's going to contact the crank body the entire time the saw runs as the sprocket turns ? I don't get it...it can't be that-the heat buildup would be a problem. Sucks that I wasn't looking at this closer BEFORE the first time I took it apart but you know the deal, been working on saws for years and they're pretty simple...'I can do this' mentality...

The oil pump cover that you call is for sure "welded" to the sprocket and he has to be or it will destruct everything around.It turns with the sprocket and the lip that goes towards the groove doesnt touch the pump body.There is enough clearance to avoid any heat buildup.

Oh! SO a)mine isn't attached, and should be, and b) it is sort of a general cover to keep large debris out but, definitely allows dust to get in there, obviously...Odd design. Seems they'd have wanted the pump pretty well covered to keep crud out...well ok, thanks for the info...learned something.

Oh! SO a)mine isn't attached, and should be, and b) it is sort of a general cover to keep large debris out but, definitely allows dust to get in there, obviously...Odd design. Seems they'd have wanted the pump pretty well covered to keep crud out...well ok, thanks for the info...learned something.

If you buy a new sprocket,get one with a rim.

Think I understand this now. Pic shows that the cover for the oil pump wasn't even attached to the rim. It's a bit hard to see but the cover was loose. So I did purchase a new rim type sprocket with all the stuff that goes along with it (washer/oil pump cover/bearing), so hope to have this repaired soon. I think the cover broke off the rim, and enough dirt kept it in place. Once I pulled it off, it obviously isn't going to stick by itself to cover the pump.IMG_0409.JPG

Update-Put on the new Clutch cover, rim sprocket, and then the white plastic part and then the oil pump cover. Apparently I somehow misloaded the clutch cover tangs into the oil pump gear, aaaaaand, wrecked it, and the white plastic part got hot and that's wrecked too. Sometimes, ya just gotta laugh. Now, part of me asks, why the hek do they have the white plastic part anyway? Odd design I guess.

I think the white plastic is a spacer as well as a debris shield. I may have some good pump gears and plastic disc if you need it.

Update-Put on the new Clutch cover, rim sprocket, and then the white plastic part and then the oil pump cover. Apparently I somehow misloaded the clutch cover tangs into the oil pump gear, aaaaaand, wrecked it, and the white plastic part got hot and that's wrecked too. Sometimes, ya just gotta laugh. Now, part of me asks, why the hek do they have the white plastic part anyway? Odd design I guess.

Maybe i dont understand correctly what you are saying,but with the rim sprocket ,you only need the white plastic and the the thin washer that comes with,nothing else.

Back