Jonsered 630 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Hello guys, new member but I’ve read the forum for a while. I’m 18 years old, and already have 6 chainsaws... I have a 1977 Homelite Super XL, a ‘78 XL-12, a Stihl 026 and an 009, a husky 266xp, and a Jonsered 630 super. I paid $70 for the 026 and got the rest for free from various people. All of them run except the husky.

I had a question about the jonsered. It runs fantastic after I cleaned the carb (guy that gave it to me said it didn’t run and had been sitting for 15 years). I’ve read they are a decent saw. But mine has a tall, blue top cover and a K&N air filter. All the pictures I’ve seen have a black cover that is flat. Is this an aftermarket thing, or just a slightly different model??

Attachments

• 64745BF1-7924-4897-9CDF-ED6275871F4D.jpeg
    64745BF1-7924-4897-9CDF-ED6275871F4D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 264261A6-2272-4C46-AC59-A120ABF61357.jpeg
    264261A6-2272-4C46-AC59-A120ABF61357.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
I'm thinking an aftermarket Husqvarna thing from a 272. Do all the bolt holes line up because I'm also thinking Jonsered changed bolt patterns during or after the 630 Supers? One or two piece ignition?

You have quite a rarity there young man. That is a Performance Specialties Eliminator top that is no longer available. It should have a K&N filter under the cover. With that set up and the full wrap grab handle those pieces alone are worth more than the powerhead. Don't let that one go for sure. Somebody did you right to get you started in your hobby. You owe them a big favor.

Yes the bolt holes all line up perfectly, it looks like it was meant for the saw for sure. I’m not sure how to tell whether it is one or two piece ignition. That’s awesome that it’s an uncommon kit, I’m really excited about this saw, it will be my main firewood saw for sure. When I took the carb off to clean it, the piston looked like it was in great shape too.

would it be possible to source an air filter for this kit? The one on it is okay, but I’d like to replace it at some point.

Does the spark plug wire travel to under the starter cover? One piece
Does the spark plug wire travel to a blue coil under the top cover? Two piece
Hold the phone I spoke to soon! It may be two piece under the starter on some saws. Mike

Does the spark plug wire travel to under the starter cover? One piece
Does the spark plug wire travel to a blue coil under the top cover? Two piece
Hold the phone I spoke to soon! It may be two piece under the starter on some saws. Mike

It's a two peice.....easy to tell from the photo. Don't have to take anything apart. If the top cover front mounting screw is forward of the top left recoil mounting screw it' two piece......if it's behind the recoil screw it's one piece. Recoils retained the same mounting for all members of this family. That's why the top covers are not interchangeable from two piece to one piece and why as said earlier it's an Eliminator cover that was designed for the 266XP as those are two piece as well.....same cases just different colors.....

Is there any advantage to one piece or two piece? Here’s some more pics of the saw and the eliminator kit.

Attachments

• E428C962-8B72-46F5-92BE-4A91A66CBB66.jpeg
    E428C962-8B72-46F5-92BE-4A91A66CBB66.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 12
  • AAB79C7C-989E-4BAE-978D-A01073E3DB0C.jpeg
    AAB79C7C-989E-4BAE-978D-A01073E3DB0C.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 33619946-2B52-40CB-99C1-6E471FC42033.jpeg
    33619946-2B52-40CB-99C1-6E471FC42033.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 13
  • 2EF9C4FC-0671-4291-98EE-6F8D7E30EDAF.jpeg
    2EF9C4FC-0671-4291-98EE-6F8D7E30EDAF.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
Is there any advantage to one piece or two piece? Here’s some more pics of the saw and the eliminator kit.
Well.....there, is but not really from an ign standpoint. The one piece is more modern and just by the fact it eliminates one more item to trouble shoot/replace. But I don't believe it is a more powerful ign system than the two piece. Perhaps... but I have both in several different saws and don't notice any difference in performance. One thing frequently overlooked when discussing the differences is that the one piece ign change required a totally different flywheel side case half to be built. In doing this they eliminated the seal carrier on this side. The older two piece had the seal mounted in the carrier which is held in with 3 screws and sealed with a dealer only supplied o-ring……..just another place to leak eventually. The updated case half did away with this and the seal is mounted directly in the case. There was a period of time when the obsolete two piece igns were hard to find replacements for but the aftermarket stepped in and that is not really an issue anymore.

Well.....there, is but not really from an ign standpoint. The one piece is more modern and just by the fact it eliminates one more item to trouble shoot/replace. But I don't believe it is a more powerful ign system than the two piece. Perhaps... but I have both in several different saws and don't notice any difference in performance. One thing frequently overlooked when discussing the differences is that the one piece ign change required a totally different flywheel side case half to be built. In doing this they eliminated the seal carrier on this side. The older two piece had the seal mounted in the carrier which is held in with 3 screws and sealed with a dealer only supplied o-ring……..just another place to leak eventually. The updated case half did away with this and the seal is mounted directly in the case. There was a period of time when the obsolete two piece igns were hard to find replacements for but the aftermarket stepped in and that is not really an issue anymore.
In your opinion, what gave the Super, Super II, or Champ the added hp bump?

In your opinion, what gave the Super, Super II, or Champ the added hp bump?

I'm not really well versed in the 670 but have a lot of experience with the 630, 630V, 630 Super, 630 West Coast and Super II. The power increases in this model are, as near as I can tell, the original 630 had the 218 Tilly carb and a two ring piston, the 630V and Super went to 225 carb with a larger bore and some of the V models and Supers had the notorious "Thin Rings" which were actually considered a "High Performance" advantage for power but didn't work out well in general use due to carbon issues. The late Supers went to the single ring piston like most modern saws. Now the Super II is actually a different beast all together. It ended up with a recirculating larger carb, and the afore mentioned single piece ign system......many came with a Ducati ign as well. I don't know if that made a difference in performance but sure does sound fast!! But the largest performance change with the Super II is the cyl…...redesigned with a much smaller "D" shaped combustion chamber rather than the traditional round one and I believe advanced port timing as well.
The 670 likely took more or less the production changes.....the Champ is simply a rebadged 670 Super II......the Champ designation came from the International Timber Sports as the 670 Super II was deemed the top saw for power and handling in it's class for 2-3 years running in the mid 90's in those competitions.

Well I took it out today and cut a load of firewood, the saw really ran great. About the perfect saw for what I do. Now I need to get my 266 running and I’ll have two nice sized saws to use!

Back