Jonsered 801

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

end-user

Reaction score
I just picked up a new-to-me Jonsered 801. Seller says it was just serviced, and it looks great! Couple issues, though. First, not really a big issue, but the off switch doesn't work. Instead, I can pull the choke and kill it. Next, it acts like I need to up the idle - won't stay running. I only used it a little when I got back. Started fine, ran fine, worked for about 15-20 minutes, but then it started sputtering out when left to idle. The gas should be fine (new enough). Any ideas? Also regarding gas, does anyone know what the mixture ratio should be on this old saw? I thought I saw 25:1, but that seems high.

Hey end-user....welcome to the site! First....it's a Jonsereds...NOT a Jonsered.

It sounds like you need to lean it out just a tad on the "L" jet to get the idle up or turn the "T" adjustment up just a bit....hard to tell just what it needs without hearing it run.

I use "Stihl Ultra" full synthetic oil at 50:1......I think the original mix was 32:1 on those but oil has come a long way since that saw was made......carbon build up from cheap, or outboard oil will kill a two stroke saw just as dead as to little oil. With any good name brand synthetic chain saw oil you'll be fine at 50:1. That may bring your idle back up as well......may not need to fuss with the carb settings at all.....

Keep an eye on ebay for a new switch......same switch fits all the old Jonserds no matter the model.

Back