Jonsered 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find. Nice saw. One wonders how many are out there.

Well we know of one for sure. As I asked before, is there a way to contact Johnsereds and find out what the skinny is. Perhaps sawtroll since he is in that neck of the woods would be willing to get hold of them and ask. This has peeked my interest a bit. JR

Well we know of one for sure. As I asked before, is there a way to contact Johnsereds and find out what the skinny is. Perhaps sawtroll since he is in that neck of the woods would be willing to get hold of them and ask. This has peeked my interest a bit. JR

The problem is that the Jonsered of now is just a name left over from the Jonsereds of old. They were bought out by Electrolux shortly after the 81 was made and are now in the Husqvarna Group.

The problem is that the Jonsered of now is just a name left over from the Jonsereds of old. They were bought out by Electrolux shortly after the 81 was made and are now in the Husqvarna Group.

If I could afford it, I would take a trip to the town of Jonsereds and see what type of local history there was. Perhaps much early information can still be learned.

Yes certainly! And thanks for sharing it with us JRed heads!

Now I wonder if there was a 91?

I don't think there was a 91. I've been pokin around a bit and have found a few more points of interest. Bailey's bar finder has an 81 listed (but no 91), and there was an ebay auction for a 90 with the spark arrester, big dawgs, and full wrap handle.

I've also started to wonder, how many 81's are out there with the decal gone, and people think it's "just an 801"?

I don't think there was a 91. I've been pokin around a bit and have found a few more points of interest. Bailey's bar finder has an 81 listed (but no 91), and there was an ebay auction for a 90 with the spark arrester, big dawgs, and full wrap handle.

I've also started to wonder, how many 81's are out there with the decal gone, and people think it's "just an 801"?

I seen that 90, and it made me look through the IPL's but I couldn't find the part number for wrap handle or large dogs. Didn't even think to look for the spark muffler. If I'm not mistaken, the 90 is also in the PNW or Canada.

I bet you are right with the 81 being a west coast model. Wonder if it has any extra power or porting differences. This is certainly an interesting saw. Do you know of any serial number cross references from this era of saws?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My 90 :cheers:

Last edited:
Here's a heads up for you Jonny fans. JANDG has listed this saw on the Trading Post.Nice of him to post it here instead of the 'bay.

I would have been one of those voices saying there was no such thing also. That model does not appear on Tiltons' RPM chart which is supposed to show the max RPM's for every saw model they sold.

One possibility is that Tilton never did import this model for their territory, but it was brought in by whoever was handling the west coast at that time. Similar to the 2147 being available in Canada, but it wasn't in the US.

I suspect you hit that one squarely! :cheers:

A couple of possibilities;

1) That decal could be an aftermarket one, with a misprint (not likely).

2) That decal is missing on most of the old Jonsereds, so many probably is mis-identyfied as 801s (more likely).

I would have been one of those voices saying there was no such thing also. That model does not appear on Tiltons' RPM chart which is supposed to show the max RPM's for every saw model they sold.

One possibility is that Tilton never did import this model for their territory, but it was brought in by whoever was handling the west coast at that time. Similar to the 2147 being available in Canada, but it wasn't in the US.

I suspect you hit that one squarely! :cheers:

A couple of possibilities;

1) That decal could be an aftermarket one, with a misprint (not likely).

2) That decal is missing on most of the old Jonsereds, so many 81s probably are mis-identified as 801s (more likely).

Oregon list the 81 in their "Selector Guide" as well.

Imo the model sure existed - we are down to the question of who changed them from 801 to 81.

As that label often is missing, lots of 81s could have been mis-identified as 801s.......:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Back