Jonsered and Stihl mix up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrence Jefferson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just going through parts and removing some good parts from parts saws and I noticed that the js 2149 and the Stihl 028 use the same size piston. The Pistons are different but I was wondering if anyone has put the 028 dome piston in a 2149 or 2150 without problems ? I'm not afraid to try it but I was just curious if anyone has done it and what they thought performance wise afterwards.

That's good to know. Thank you. I have a used 2149 cylinder I will use once I clean it up if all else checks out. The big thing I'm noticing is the jonsered is a open port on the transfers and the Stihl is closed and the piston shape is different also. This is looking like a good project for later in the week when it's too hot to do much outside.

FWIW: The piston for a Homelite SXL is direct interchange with the Remington PL/SL-4.

And, the piston intended for a Homelite XL-925 can be used in a Remington PL/SL-55 by shortening the skirt in a lathe to match the Remy.

Pistons do tend be generic but you must know how to run a dial caliper. [emoji6]

IMO there are much better options for performance on the 2149 case than the stock open port jug. Even the closed port 45mm 2150/2152 jugs are better performers and Hyway makes a popup piston for them. Then there's the 346xp top ends that sell complete, at the dealer, for less than $100.

If you decide to go the 44mm route an easy way to check your compression height is to stick the wrist pin halfway into each piston. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it will work.

This is nothing I have to do I was just kicking around the idea last night. I know the 2152 cylinder and piston on a 2149 case is a screamer with minor porting. I built one for my uncle this spring. I was just wondering if anyone has done this. I'm not necessarily looking for more power or anything I was just curious. I don't need to buy a cylinder or piston for my jonsered it is in perfect running order. I was just tearing down a 028 that the lower bearings are stiff on and when I saw the piston my wheels started turning.

FWIW: The piston for a Homelite SXL is direct interchange with the Remington PL/SL-4.

And, the piston intended for a Homelite XL-925 can be used in a Remington PL/SL-55 by shortening the skirt in a lathe to match the Remy.

Pistons do tend be generic but you must know how to run a dial caliper. [emoji6]

Micrometer you mean. Dial caliper is not nearly accurate enough for measuring a piston, where a thou or two off can be a big deal

Well I got into this a little more tonight and I can't do it cause the connecting rods are different and I don't have any way to machine the piston to get it to fit. But otherwise it was looking good.

Well I got into this a little more tonight and I can't do it cause the connecting rods are different and I don't have any way to machine the piston to get it to fit. But otherwise it was looking good.
Like the pin diameter or the width of the rod end where it fits into the piston?

For the most part piston diameters are measured in whole millimeters, so calipers are plenty accurate.

During my employment as plant engineer (30 years), if I needed an exact measurement, I drug the subject parts or pieces to the machine shop.

Most often my dial calipers sufficed plus/minus a half thou. [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back