Jonsered bar oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snojetter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is likely a topic that can be viewed pretty generally, but I'll describe my specific situation. I have a Jonsered 2150 that I was testing this weekend. It came to me with a 16 inch "EM" branded bar. For my first cuts after repairing a massive oil tank leak, I used this bar and proceeded to cut into a downed ash tree probably 12 inches or so in diameter. After a few cuts, I noticed the bar was pretty hot and the chain looked dry. It was cutting very well, so not a case of poor teeth. I know it oils well as I accounted for this visually with the bar off. Thinking I possibly had a plugged oil hole or even a bar with a hole that didn't match, I swapped it out for an 18" Oregon bar that I know is compatible from my other 2150. I then went ahead and finished up the tree with no problems.

Later that day, I cleaned up the 16" bar - ran a dental pick to clean out the grooves and the oiler hole. I put it back on the saw and used it on my saw buck to cut up a bunch of small diameter wood (2" up to 6"). I kept an eye on the bar and this time I could see the chain was lubed, the drive links coated in oil, all that good stuff. I thought to myself, the bar must just have been plugged up. Well, not so fast. For my last three cuts, I ran the saw into a 14" poplar and then an equal sized ash. Once done, the bar was dry, the chain links looked dry, and it was quite warm.

So my conclusion was the short quick cuts of bucking the small diameter wood allowed the bar to remain well lubed. While the longer and higher speed operation of the larger cuts somehow overwhelmed whatever oil was getting into the bar. This saw has an adjustable oiler and it was set to the third detent (highest oil output) which should be overkill for the small bar. And like I said, there is plenty of oil output (oil puddles quickly when I let the saw idle without a bar installed) and the saw oiled the 18" Oregon bar just fine.

The oil holes between the 16" and 18" bar appear to line up...but it's hard to know for sure. I guess my question is if a bar fits a particular saw's bar studs and the tightener pin, does that necessarily mean the oiler groove will line up with the oiler hole? And when it comes to bar "mounting standards" is there enough variation for these types to physically fit on the saw but not work in harmony with the oiler? And come to think of it, where does one educate themselves on the various mounting standards anyway? Is there a write-up somewhere?

Anyone else had any run in with a phenomenon like this?

Was the chain maybe a bit on the long or short side putting the bars oil hole on the edge of the saws feed journal? Have you confirmed the oil tank, filter etc are free of debris?

My first thought is that the chain was not correct width or depth for the bar...or conversely...or bar expansion was binding the chain. I don't know what an "EM" branded bar indicates however it's unlikely Jonsareds would market a bar which gave instant problems. You found an oregan bar worked well...recommend it to the owner.

Back