Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So odd thing happened today with the 2065/372 hybrid. Was using the tach to adjust the carb and all of a sudden the saw sounded funny. So I let off the throttle and let it wind down; it straight up died.

Huh, ok.

So I went to pull it over to restart and couldn’t pull the cord; Locked up tight.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDGGGGGGGEE!!

Bring it into the gargae and start to tear it down. Muffler off look into the cylinder; its perfect. Pull the cylinder bolts and pull the cylinder: its perfect. Inspect the piston: perfect. Not even scuffs on piston or cyl. Check the ring; its pristine. Pull off the recoil and turn the crank by hand; no issue, spins freely, no tight spots or ‘catches’.

WTH???

Inspect EVERYTHING again, no issues. Put the recoil on and pull it over, no issue. Slide the cylinder back on, bolt it down and pull it over: perfect.

WTF is going on?!?!?

Clean up the crank case and the cylinder base, prep it for reassembly, slap some more gasket maker on and toss it all back together. Guess I’ll try to start it and run it again tomorrow.

Hydro-locked? Vapor locked? No evidence of any damage anywhere inside. No evidence of anything hanging up, rubbing, catching..... Nothing. Carb is OEM off of stock 372xp at stock settings.

That's certainly a puzzler....I would suspect something to do with the starter pawls....I have acquired a couple saws that were "locked up" only to find the saw was in great shape but the recoil was froze up......I know...not your issue...but it's just something simple I expect.

Everything moved freely, even the starter pawls, which is what led me to believe vapor-lock. Although, i really can’t see it as a feasible possibility. I know ANYTHING is possible, but seems odd to me.

Question on taking a Jonsered 520sp apart. There is a resistance when turning the crankshaft, felt like the crank dragging on something, so started disassembly. From the parts diagram I thought I could just undo the cylinder bolts and the top part of the engine would pull out, leaving the crank in the bottom part of the crankcase. It doesn't seem to work that way. I have succeeded in removing the cylinder from the top portion of the crankcase but it stell won't come out. I can't see what's holding it in... I can pull it up about a half inch then it hits something with a metallic click, like there is still a very loose bolt or something blocking it. What am I missing? Lots of sawdust around the crankcase and I am working on the kitchen table so can't blow it out with compressed air and it's -15 C outside.
Thanks in advance...

Question on taking a Jonsered 520sp apart. There is a resistance when turning the crankshaft, felt like the crank dragging on something, so started disassembly. From the parts diagram I thought I could just undo the cylinder bolts and the top part of the engine would pull out, leaving the crank in the bottom part of the crankcase. It doesn't seem to work that way. I have succeeded in removing the cylinder from the top portion of the crankcase but it stell won't come out. I can't see what's holding it in... I can pull it up about a half inch then it hits something with a metallic click, like there is still a very loose bolt or something blocking it. What am I missing? Lots of sawdust around the crankcase and I am working on the kitchen table so can't blow it out with compressed air and it's -15 C outside.
Thanks in advance...

To my knowledge, and I’m no expert, the only thing that will retain a piston in the cylider is aluminum transfer or a broken ring catching on one of the ports. Not to make you panic, but that could explain the difficulty pulling it over as well

Hi,
perhaps I wasn't clear... the cylinder is off... it is the separate upper section of the crankcase that is problematic, a picture being worth a thousand words...
Jnsrd piston by Grant, on Flickr
38350738754_ef6e4608e6_z.jpg
Jnsrd piston[/url] by Grant, on Flickr[/IMG]
script>

Hi,
perhaps I wasn't clear... the cylinder is off... it is the separate upper section of the crankcase that is problematic, a picture being worth a thousand words...
script>

Never had one of them apart. There isn't screws that come up from the bottom?

Nice find on those !
Did a litle break in my 920 , I found a non running 930 so I took what I needed on it , and decided to do some mod , delete fuel governor on carb , shorten those felling spikes , and put this foam filter ... Not the same saw now [emoji28] I took elbow from 395 xp , the best moment were to find how to pass throttle linkage [emoji35] I use the same spray I put on my dirtbike , it's clean and doesn't seem to take too much dust , I tested it on very hard and dry acacia
cc060bc12990d49133c9eb7d42379913.jpg

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Those rubber seem to be like new , why replacing them ? [emoji38]
I have a question about 920/930 , is this cooling plate mounted between the jug and and rubber is a good thing ? I thind it is à bit restrictive for cooling flow and litte chips that come from starter cover isn' it . I don't have 930's ipl
241d0ee3c03811adfd5128ee2e0e7325.jpg
09fbfbcac17dd254f284715dd6b2898e.jpg
97ba96d0e1dffc075b68fbc1fd0a51e9.jpg

K
Hi,
script>
The oil pump is located in that part of the case, perhaps it is hanging up somehow.

Hi,
script>

I have a question about 920/930 , is this cooling plate mounted between the jug and and rubber is a good thing ? I thind it is à bit restrictive for cooling flow and litte chips that come from starter cover isn' it . I don't have 930's ipl

930 ipl

Attachments

• 930 ipl.pdf
    968.7 KB · Views: 4

The smaller ones look really good don't they? The front ones were complete mush. Lol!

Found him! Zero_sum is his AS screen name. Don't know the dude other than he's posted in here. He's got the crank want in his sig along with a gasket want for the 111S.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsered-chainsaws.99245/page-343

Scroll down to post #6847

Kevin

I'm still alive.... thanks for looking out for me guys. I haven't been able to check in as much lately.... need to fix that. Scott got a hold of me, very kind of him. I need more time to work on my saws.......lol.

Latest posts

Back