Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...lots of $$$$. Can't get excited about repainted saws. The 111S isn't even 100% with the broken manual oiler button.

Crazytown...but I bet there's a shelf collector out there willing to pay.

I nearly went blind reading the all caps item descriptions of the other seller. He did sell the 49sp for $450.

Kevin

There's one born every minute!! Friday is PayDay!!! I have 5 in equal or better condition in my stash.....In 1978 I bought my original 49SP brand new for $249.00.....got a manual, file, grease gun, scrench and a Jonsereds hat plus an "Atta Boy" slap on the back.....but......they don't make 'em any more...sooooo......

This is what Bob (spike60) said about that saw:
Ah yes, the old 988 Super prototypes. Story goes that Jonsered was considering either updating the 920 chassis, or adopting the Husky 288 from the other side of the Electrolux family. A handfull of prototypes, actually referred to as "marketing samples" were made in Jonsered colors. A couple going to Canada, and a couple going to Tilton Equipment.

As we all know, Jonsered updated the 920 into the improved and more powerful 930 Super and never went with the Husky chassis. Those 988 samples are much sought after by Jonsered fans. Or so the story goes.

So who owns that and is it for real? What cc?

Kevin

This is what Bob (spike60) said about that saw:
Ah yes, the old 988 Super prototypes. Story goes that Jonsered was considering either updating the 920 chassis, or adopting the Husky 288 from the other side of the Electrolux family. A handfull of prototypes, actually referred to as "marketing samples" were made in Jonsered colors. A couple going to Canada, and a couple going to Tilton Equipment.

As we all know, Jonsered updated the 920 into the improved and more powerful 930 Super and never went with the Husky chassis. Those 988 samples are much sought after by Jonsered fans. Or so the story goes.

So who owns that and is it for real? What cc?

Kevin

That story was just for fun. It kind of started from people saying the 820/830 were rebadged 281's and the 920/930 were 288's. There were no saws made. I took a beat, non-running, but complete 288xp and painted it Jred/black. I had my fun with it, rattle canned it back to a Husqvarna and unloaded it on ebay.

What's even more baffling to me is that the 49 seems to be more sought after than the 52. I'm guessing that since the 49 was less money, it sold in greater numbers. Guys wanting a saw like dear ole dad had bypass the 52, and often pay more, for a 49, which was likely what their father had.

When I bought my 49 in 1978 it sold for $249.00.....the 52 sold for $274.00 and the 52E was $299.00.....they did every thing they could to cheapen the 49 money wise. I mean tiny little things like on the back of the clutch cover there is a little nub of rubber in the lower back corner to keep the cover from chafing on the case on the 52/52E.....the 49 didn't get this though the cast hole for the rubber is there. Gas and oil caps are the same except the 52/52E got chains limiters...not the 49. The points ign on the 49 is way light duty compared to the 52 but amazingly they go decades without problems. I believe the 49 was a way bigger seller than the 52/52E.....I think folks overlooked the 52's a lot and either went with the cheap 49SP or more expensive 621 which was about $350.00. These were very expensive saws for the day...the same month I bought my 49 a close friend laughed at me for spending that kind of money as he had just bought a Mac 10-10 for $179.95.....maybe I was stupid but I still run and use my 49....his Mac only lasted about a year.....then he beat it to death on a tree for an on going non-starting issue....LOL!

What's even more baffling to me is that the 49 seems to be more sought after than the 52. I'm guessing that since the 49 was less money, it sold in greater numbers. Guys wanting a saw like dear ole dad had bypass the 52, and often pay more, for a 49, which was likely what their father had.

Another couple things to consider concerning this family of saws is the fact that the 52/52E were pro saws and generally bought by pulp cutters or fire wood guys and most were simply worked to death so there are just not as many around anymore. Whereas the 49SP was generally bought by folks who were not making a living with the saw so many sat more than got used so there are many more around percentage wise of the total number sold.

I we are to discuss this family there another saw that you rarely see around much. The 521E......this was a major redesign of the 52/52E.....it cost a LOT...If I remember right they were close to $450.00. This saw looked similar to the rest but had a totally different flywheel side case half and recoil. It ran the regular 52/52E top end, crank and carb but had an alum flywheel, electrically heated handles with two heat ranges, an electronic ign (different and more modern than the 52E) and came stock with a chain brake. This was/is the absolute Cadillac of the family. If I'm just bucking up firewood in the cold that's the one I pick up!! They were also a bit heavier than the others. Power to weight takes a back seat compared to toasty fingers in thin gloves!!

670 WC Vent Saw gettin a Work out today at training house.
Pulled out of reserve status.

Cutters edge build w/ bullet chains

$million dollar purchase, then foundation tear down and rebuild

Erik

b7754009a72bda55d0527eb017c4762e.jpg
01b2eea69efaebb985101e5d89834442.jpg
910546615ae0f9f05121e3d64551ee97.jpg

Starts, handles & cuts like a charm !!

Erik

Out here in western Illinois.....good road trip....left Monday and spent the night in Woodstock NY...caught with Bob (spike60) Tuesday morning for a visit...had a good chat then went to Watkins Glen and hiked the gorge...then to Niagra Falls on the Canadian side for the night...then Wed walked the American side, after that we drove down and spent the night with PB and family. We had an excellent visit....the wimin went to bed early and PB and I sat on his back porch having a few frosty ones, watching lightening storms in the distance play across the flatlands whilst we were talking Jonsereds.....wonderful evening!!! Both Lee and Bob say "Hey" back to you Eric!!!!!

Sounds like a good trip, Robin!
The midwest is endearing....I grew up there and came back to have my big farm in MO. The storms are sensational light shows....especially this time of yr. I used to watch my weather vane flipping around on top of one of my barns....when that happened, all hell was about to cut loose....lol. On a clear day, I could see south all the way down to Jefferson City and that's where the thunderstorms always came from. You could watch the light show and thunderheads an hr or so before they hit the farm.

Kevin

Sounds like a good trip, Robin!
The midwest is endearing....I grew up there and came back to have my big farm in MO. The storms are sensational light shows....especially this time of yr. I used to watch my weather vane flipping around on top of one of my barns....when that happened, all hell was about to cut loose....lol. On a clear day, I could see south all the way down to Jefferson City and that's where the thunderstorms always came from. You could watch the light show and thunderheads an hr or so before they hit the farm.

Kevin

Yep certainly BIG sky area.........reminds me of the ocean...without the water.....

Leaving Tuesday for Copenhagen and Sweden; will spend a few days visiting with Magnus while I'm there. His saw collection is epic, but I think his parts collection is even more impressive. Anyway, I've been in more of a selling mode than a buying mode lately, but I suspect I will pick up a few things while I'm in the Motherland...

Scott

Yeah, that was too rich for my blood. It's listed as sold for $1,200. Once I sell my 4 maybe I can afford 4 pretty nice cars?

Hey Scott, I still call dibs on one of your complete 111s'.....but if you could get that price for them all, more power to ya...lol.

Get some pics of that big collection & parts.....so we can all drool.

Kevin

Hey Scott, I still call dibs on one of your complete 111s'.....but if you could get that price for them all, more power to ya...lol.

Get some pics of that big collection & parts.....so we can all drool.

Kevin

Kevin -

Yep, have your name on one of them. Will see what I can do on a slightly better than "pretty nice car" price...:D

I'll certainly take plenty of pics.

Scott

Latest posts

Back