Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MN added sales tax on internet purchases. I'd forgotten about it until it popped up on an honest website. Thing is with the tax I coulda ordered from an instate seller and gotten the stuff quicker. Gotta pay more attention ordering now.

Exactly, and if this becomes a trend state by state, I think it could only hurt eBay type places. It certainly motivates me to find private sales closer to home. I mail ordered all my life from out of state and never paid any sales tax.....then with the Net, same thing as long as it was out of state. Although Amazon has been reaming me for yrs claiming the stuff I buy all comes from their WA fulfillment centers or in-state vendors.

Kevin

We don't have any bad taxes on the online stuff up here. I bought a chinese muffler for a 630 late last month with free shipping and it came in today. I'm surprised because when I placed the order it said it would get here on the 22 at the earliest.

Exactly, and if this becomes a trend state by state, I think it could only hurt eBay type places. It certainly motivates me to find private sales closer to home. I mail ordered all my life from out of state and never paid any sales tax.....then with the Net, same thing as long as it was out of state. Although Amazon has been reaming me for yrs claiming the stuff I buy all comes from their WA fulfillment centers or instate vendors.

Kevin

You can thank South Dakota for this. Last summer they won a law suit which opened up this can of worms. Now states can charge sales tax on internet sales if they so desire. As a seller we were worried we would have to keep track of each states sales tax and remit it every month, but eBay has stepped up and taken care of the sales tax. This seller has nothing to do with it.

You can thank South Dakota for this. Last summer they won a law suit which opened up this can of worms. Now states can charge sales tax on internet sales if they so desire. As a seller we were worried we would have to keep track of each states sales tax and remit it every month, but eBay has stepped up and taken care of the sales tax. This seller has nothing to do with it.

Wow...then screw you, SD legislators!

WA couldn't balance the state budget if they had only ten dollars and spent the ten dollar. So the monies they collect for sales tax on Internet sales will be funded into someone's pet project and never see the light of day. In a state already horrifically in the red, more money is just money spent poorly.

Kevin

I had won a very clean 49sp on eBay and due to a label mix up got a crusty, rusty muffler 52 instead. After I was done pouting about it, I cleaned up the 52 and found this. A carb kit, bar & chain, and a little cosmetic work and I have a good running and looking saw.
20190222_131411_Burst01.jpg 20190222_131315_Burst01.jpg
The seller refunded all money including shipping and gave this to me free. I really can't complain.

I had won a very clean 49sp on eBay and due to a label mix up got a crusty, rusty muffler 52 instead. After I was done pouting about it, I cleaned up the 52 and found this. A carb kit, bar & chain, and a little cosmetic work and I have a good running and looking saw.
View attachment 717765 View attachment 717766
The seller refunded all money including shipping and gave this to me free. I really can't complain.

I’d say that’s a stand up seller! Care to share his seller name? Is he selling just J’reds or other saws too?

Kevin

I’d say that’s a stand up seller! Care to share his seller name? Is he selling just J’reds or other saws too?

Kevin

They sell a variety of things on eBay. I don't think they know too much about the saws as it was just listed as a parts saw. I'll pm you the info.

I'd take a good running 52 over a nice looking 49sp any day, especailly at that price!

I had a 49sp and a 52E that I sold to someone who needed a good saw. Out of all the saws I have sold, I really wanted to pick up another one of those. Not even close to being the best saws I have let go but I just like the Jreds. I wish I could afford to chase more of that series.

You forge knives? I find that fascinating. I'd be happy to send you some when you are ready. Perhaps we could do a trade for a knife?

I did that once...the knife making thing. VERY competitive business and even if you're in The Guild, it's tough competition. Only when you get a name can you start to make money for your efforts. That's why so many of the big names just started out as hobbyists. I thought maybe I'd go back to it someday, but as I get older I don't think so.

Very few forge anything....mostly they buy the steel blanks of their choosing and work them down to size by cutting & grinding. In fact for many, many yrs, knives were made from hacksaw steel by most makers.

Kevin

I did that once...the knife making thing. VERY competitive business and even if you're in The Guild, it's tough competition. Only when you get a name can you start to make money for your efforts. That's why so many of the big names just started out as hobbyists. I thought maybe I'd go back to it someday, but as I get older I don't think so.

Very few forge anything....mostly they buy the steel blanks of their choosing and work them down to size by cutting & grinding. In fact for many, many yrs, knives were made from hacksaw steel by most makers.

Kevin

I know this guy uses old files a lot. He is a sales rep that calls on us at work. Does knife making as a hobby. Does some awesome work.

https://www.deyongknives.com/

I have a coffe can full of old files and rasps at the shop I was gonna give him next time he stops in.

I'd take a good running 52 over a nice looking 49sp any day, especailly at that price!
Oh pshaw!!!! Though I hate to admit the 52 is the better built saw over all. I can fix anything mechanically wrong with these saw...I can't fix how a saw looks.....I always resist trying to repaint a saw or even saw parts. So that said, a mint looking 49 would be my choice, mostly because it will have much less time on it......and of course it's pretty!!! The only all red Jonsereds!!!...LOL!!

Latest posts

Back