Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To bad.........I'd love to have this saw........but I really can't stand repainted saws.......robs them of their history...good or bad....these don't surface very often....and I have the shop service manual for it. Probably would have paid his price if he hadn't painted it ...poorly........damn...I sound like antiques road show!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jo...=item28777e162e:g:OIkAAOSwsrBcbUrg:rk:32:pf:0

To bad.........I'd love to have this saw........but I really can't stand repainted saws.......robs them of their history...good or bad....these don't surface very often....and I have the shop service manual for it. Probably would have paid his price if he hadn't painted it ...poorly........damn...I sound like antiques road show!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jo...=item28777e162e:g:OIkAAOSwsrBcbUrg:rk:32:pf:0

I totally agree on repainting. That guy came in here yrs ago challenging me for what I said about his eBay saw and paint ‘special’ job.....complete with red overspray on the bar etc. You’d have to remove all the paint and start over....what a mess.

I’m all for original patina......

Kevin

This is a 111s that I had at one point. It had been "touched up". Not only were there runs and over spray, they used a horribly incorrect color. I'm pretty sure it was IH red. Luckily I was able to remove move of the paint and not damage that tough old Jonsereds coating below, but the rear handle and recoil were so bad I had to sand them and repaint. It had a repro decal kit on the top cover, so I didn't touch that, but the silver was not the shade I would have chosen. I ended up selling it and I kept my original 111s. I think I would only paint a saw again if it was missing enough paint that I was worried about corrosion (80-90%).

111S_22.JPG

You have two problems with repainting. One, it will not be durable like the old finish and people are resorting to clear coat etc on a saw. Two, it's damn hard to match the original color with today's paints....the silver top being the most tricky. And forever your brain will be telling ya it's not a perfect match.

If you're gonna try to make it look original again with a repaint, it needs to be perfect. If you buy a saw with a repaint, you're stuck with that forever unless you strip it down and start over.....to me, that's the worst of it. I'd love to repaint my old workhorse 80, but I know it won't come out like I want it.

Kevin

This is a 111s that I had at one point. It had been "touched up". Not only were there runs and over spray, they used a horribly incorrect color. I'm pretty sure it was IH red. Luckily I was able to remove move of the paint and not damage that tough old Jonsereds coating below, but the rear handle and recoil were so bad I had to sand them and repaint. It had a repro decal kit on the top cover, so I didn't touch that, but the silver was not the shade I would have chosen. I ended up selling it and I kept my original 111s. I think I would only paint a saw again if it was missing enough paint that I was worried about corrosion (80-90%).

View attachment 719115

That's still a nice looking 111S, Eric.

Most saws that you see for sale that have been repainted, the paint job shows no sign of a class paint job either. No masking.....no prep.......just like, stand back with a rattle can in one hand and a beer in the other, close one eye and just let 'er rip....

I think that’s in Chainsaw 101; ‘touch up with a rattle can, poorly, because it’s just a chainsaw.’ Over spray tells the whole story on work prep.

But that sure is not in sync with market pricing these days. AFAIC, leave the saw alone that way....lol!

Generally, I don’t see poorly repainted saws adding anything to the sale, in fact, quite the opposite sometimes.

Kevin

Thanks for the info @Cantdog. I havent put them side by side to see if they're different. I found a couple more if I want them. Are they a "West Coast" thing or just an option?

Thanks for the info @Cantdog. I havent put them side by side to see if they're different. I found a couple more if I want them. Are they a "West Coast" thing or just an option?

Generally a "West Coast" addition or from a fire entry saw..........never installed on factory saws.......other than the "West Coast" editions......

I wouldn't pass on ANY NOS J'reds parts if they are priced decently.....you can always trade later. I used to buy hardware bits for J'reds in lots on eBay......don't see that much for sale anymore.

Kevin
These arent nos, they're used but figured they may be kinda rare. I sold a mid sized box of nos stuff to a member a couple years ago and havent had any since.

These arent nos, they're used but figured they may be kinda rare. I sold a mid sized box of nos stuff to a member a couple years ago and havent had any since.

Like Robin said, the only thing set up like that from J’reds was the West Coast 670. And I suspect it was done over here by Tilton under contract and not in Sweden.

Kevin

Like Robin said, the only thing set up like that from J’reds was the West Coast 670. And I suspect it was done over here by Tilton under contract and not in Sweden.

Kevin
I know nothing about these risers and thats why I asked but the 2077 I have used to belong to my boss in the mid 90's and it had one then. This 2077 was purchased here in our little town and I saw one on a 2083, maybe 2188 at my husky dealer. I'm just curious cuz they look cool and they're not seen often.

I know nothing about these risers and thats why I asked but the 2077 I have used to belong to my boss in the mid 90's and it had one then. This 2077 was purchased here in our little town and I saw one on a 2083, maybe 2188 at my husky dealer. I'm just curious cuz they look cand they're not seen often.

Yeah, they look cool, but there have been many tests run on Swede saws and aftermarket velocity stacks......there’s no real gain.

They appeared on saws here in the PNW after Mt Saint Helens blew. But with foam and oil bath filters. They looked cool to weekend warriors and firewood cutters and so the rest is history. They were also used as forest fire saws.

Kevin

There may be no horsepower gain but theres a bigger filter so restriction time will be longer.

Just my thinking

Exactly and why they leave off the top cover.......for fast accessibility. Plus with the original oil bath, they were trying to stop the ash from getting to the motor.

They learned a lot up there working in that blowdown with waist deep ash.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back