Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember seeing one of these for sale a long time ago( 10-15 years). I have no answer, only thoughts. It sort of looks like an auto-sharpen set-up, but I never heard of any Jred coming with that. The silver paint points toward the earlier saws of this series. Well it's a snowy day here, maybe I'll do some research.................

BOOM!
According to the sales literature, the 50 was available with "an extra attachment for automatic chain sharpening". I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that's what this cover is for. And of course the IPL doesn't show anything.

View attachment 724847

Hmmm that makes as much sense as anything......I knew you might have some info!! Never heard of it myself, but, again that doesn't mean much.... Like to see as pic as well, to see what else there is to it...

BOOM!
According to the sales literature, the 50 was available with "an extra attachment for automatic chain sharpening". I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that's what this cover is for. And of course the IPL doesn't show anything.

View attachment 724847

Yep like the Nordfeller....the some saws were set up for it but haven't seen anything in the IPLs that alludes to or describes it.....

Hmmm that makes as much sense as anything......I knew you might have some info!! Never heard of it myself, but, again that doesn't mean much.... Like to see as pic as well, to see what else there is to it...

Like most of the “self sharpening” systems it went the way the Dodo. Something short-lived like that is gonna be real hard to find a pic of....might have been one of those cardboard picture things made to stand on a dealer’s counter?

Eric be da man once again

Kevin

Does anyone know if the 45mm Husqvarna 55 cylinder from huztl would fit on a 490. I think the jug would need to be trimmed down on a lathe to make it fit in the case. Trying to get a bit of input before I order

So here was part of my morning; 90yr old Sugar Maple with five trunks...weighted 180 degree off from the intended lay. Sorry not a J'red, but I think a 2094/95 would have done five with a 46" bar. But that would have been with 3/8" chain and I don't do 3/8" chain. Notice I didn't say "never"....lol!

Steel plate you see in the foreground was for a 30 ton jack cut-in. It was all that jack could handle. Been much happier with the a Silvey 50 ton jack....which run a $1,000 USED!

That's my helper, although he wasn't allowed anywhere near the tree while doing this. Had some rot starting in the center....neighbors only appeared after it was down to 'help'....haha. Tree huggers would let this tree go until a storm made it demolish buildings and/or kill someone. They don't understand anything about trees like these and their life spans.

That nasty looking Walnut over the head of my grandson is coming down next. But I'm gonna have to top some of it with a man-lift first.

Maple one.jpg Maple five.jpg

Kevin

Thanks Tim! I'll get a picture of the hinge wood and stump shot appropriate for a heavy tree like this.........with some rot in the center. Always watch you chip shavings; they tell the story when you hit rot.

I have a customer that has rural rental property besieged with these old Sugar Maples I've taken down. Gotta really look for clothesline anchors, iron cable and the lot from past owners. These places have had MANY owners over 90/100 or so yrs.

Camera depth of field thing; hinge wood the same width on both ends.

Maple seven.jpg Maple six.jpg

Thanks Tim! I'll get a picture of the hinge wood and stump shot appropriate for a heavy tree like this.........with some rot in the center. Always watch you chip shavings; they tell the story when you hit rot.

I have a customer that has rural rental property besieged with these old Sugar Maples I've taken down. Gotta really look for clothesline anchors, iron cable and the lot from past owners. These places have had MANY owners over 90/100 or so yrs.

I've ruined many sharp chains on Sugar Maples. I think every one in the state of Vermont has 7 strands of barbed wire and a few forgotten taps from sugaring.

I've ruined many sharp chains on Sugar Maples. I think every one in the state of Vermont has 7 strands of barbed wire and a few forgotten taps from sugaring.

Oh hell yeah.....classic tree to string a hammock or clothes line from, corner to a fence etc etc. I removed a big eye bolt before I started. I fully expect something 'else' and losing a chain or two.
I'm not sure why anyone in a sound state of mind would let a five trunk Sugar Maple survive and get to this size. Those trees have done more damage around here from storms than any other.

It had flowing water coming off one of the cut trunks. I tasted it and it just seemed like water....but I know nothing about sugaring trees.

Kevin

Freebie

I don't have a need for a top handle, but I've found myself drinking the koolaid and eyeing them. Then this one fell in my lap. I gotta go through it but it doesn't have much use.

I find myself using my 2139T and freebie Echo 340T much more than I ever thought I would. I bet you'll find something to do with it...........

Back