Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this while browsing New Hampshire CL. I found it interesting.

Is that a 3D printed flywheel fin assembly? Kinda cool.

I've been wondering about the viability of printed parts that are getting hard to find. Like, I wonder if the material would be strong enough to make starter pulleys for the old Remington Mighty Mite century series that always got chewed up.

I've been wondering about the viability of printed parts that are getting hard to find. Like, I wonder if the material would be strong enough to make starter pulleys for the old Remington Mighty Mite century series that always got chewed up.

Well, we’ve all been waiting with baited breath for yrs (now) to see viable replacement part in all hobbies from 3D printing.

The layering process in plastic produces crap product that breaks easily and is expensive. The military has another process that works well for plastics but out of the consumer’s reach.

I’m tired of waiting and I’m tired of all the promises given. So yeah, while it’s possible to print the parts it hasn’t exactly caught the hobby world on fire yet.

Kevin

I believe it is.....looks like the ones that guy is on here was going to make and sell....I know he sold a few but then kinda faded away....haven't heard much from him in a while.

I believe it is.....looks like the ones that guy is on here was going to make and sell....I know he sold a few but then kinda faded away....haven't heard much from him in a while.

This is a new 3d printed flywheel fan that fits the Jonsered 70e (and I believe the 66e, but I haven't verified that). The original OEM pn was 504612506. This is only the plastic fan, not the metal flywheel. This part is 3D printed out of PETG and has shown excellent durability on the saws it has been placed on. Please note, you may need to take a bit of sand paper to the ID in order for it to properly fit onto the flywheel. I haven't heard any complaints about this, but please be aware given the tolerances of the flywheel itself, you may need to do some fine tuning.
s-l500.jpg

It started here:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/70e-plastic-flywheel-3-d-printable.269641/

Fascinating...I actually asked something on the last page and had to go back and reread the whole thread. He improved the plastic with a more durable plastic.

Looks like from the discussion though, pieces with hollow cavities like saw top covers are moot, for now. What's really inspiring is the idea that someday you could take a phone pic of a working part on an old machine, transfer it to software and have that part printed. Now you're talkin' something. Above and beyond the absurdity of five hrs to make one part. I was really interested in the beginning on how he made his 'model'? Then there was the concept of using the printed part to make a mold for regular mold injection.....

Still, what few pieces have been made are by guys working professionally with these machines and have 'permission' to tinker around on their own. We are still far from somebody seeking business requests to make plastic and metal parts for the chainsaws of your choice. I only complain because I may have just ten yrs left of toting around and working with chainsaws. I see the future in this, but I don't know if it's going to encompass me in my lifetime. If you're younger and you don't care about older guys that have always used chainsaws, then it's no big deal.

In any event, plastic flywheels for the 70e are out there!

As in many AS threads....there was some dark, undercurrent personal history thing going on which I'm glad I didn't understand. For a few posts it looked like the thread was going to grenade....fortunately, it didn't.

Kevin

Still here, just don't comment much. I have sold a pretty good amount of the printed flywheel fans through here and eBay. I always keep a few printed and ready as eBay has proven to provide a pretty steady stream of buyers.
Regarding the comments about longevity, the latest revision had some geometry and material tweaks to address some of my own worries, but I haven't heard of any of the earliest ones that woods works (Denny) has nor the later ones failing. Nonetheless it's good to see you guys are still keeping these saws running decades after their introduction.

Still here, just don't comment much. I have sold a pretty good amount of the printed flywheel fans through here and eBay. I always keep a few printed and ready as eBay has proven to provide a pretty steady stream of buyers.
Regarding the comments about longevity, the latest revision had some geometry and material tweaks to address some of my own worries, but I haven't heard of any of the earliest ones that woods works (Denny) has nor the later ones failing. Nonetheless it's good to see you guys are still keeping these saws running decades after their introduction.

The real litmus test of course, is someone who has cut about 60 cords or more with one.

Guys that put one on and the saw winds up as a shelf queen most of the time is pretty meaningless.

We keep all manner of J’reds running here....great marque. Pretty soon it will be ‘decades’ after these saws had any factory support......lol.

Hopefully there comes a day when quality aftermarket parts can be made. That will take some of the pressure off of what’s left of the NOS stuff, which could just be used for templates.

Kevin

Ahhhhh....good to know. I keep a fair supply of good used and a few NOS fans in stock for my own projects but wouldn't mind getting hold of one of yours to look at and try.

I've got a 1998 vintage Jonsered 2065 that was originally a fire service saw (cutters edge brand) that I'm fixing up and converting back to standard saw service. I need a new clutch drum and sprocket but I'm finding an endless amount of part numbers out there. I was originally under the impression that aside from the plastics on the saw cover essentially this saw was mechanically identical to a Husky 365. If that is true, why are the part numbers for a 365 drum & sprocket different from what I'm finding for the 2065? Adding to the confusion it seems like lots of part numbers have been replaced by others over time. Anyone have a good online source for these parts or at least the proper part numbers I should be looking for? Thanks!

Any of those should work. The different part numbers come from several things. They made some drums with holes for cooling and if you are looking at drum/sprocket combos, they can have different sprockets (7 pin vs 8pin etc) and they may have even made a spur sprocket for them. All variant would have a different part number. A clutch drum for a 2063/2065/2071/2163/2165/2171/2166/2172/371xp/365/365sp/362xp will work.

Back