Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow......this has got to be about the sweetest 52E I've ever laid eyes on!!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsereds-...258207?hash=item1a8688be1f:g:3TkAAOSw29Zdp46n

That IS one sweet 52E!!

I guess we'll get another chance at these great condition old saws when the collectors age out/die out. But this time around we'll pay dearly.

Saw looks like it was used about a week's worth if that.....you gotta wonder what the story was there.......

Does a bid retraction on eBay mean that you got cold feet and asked the seller to retract your winning bid? If so the present high bidder/buyer has had 10 bid retractions in the last six months. I thought it meant if you made a typo as a buyer on the amount or the seller never answered your questions etc and you wanted to retract your bid. In any event, this is more than honest mistakes....looks like the way this buyer does business. In all my yrs on eBay as a buyer, I've never done it.

Kevin

That IS one sweet 52E!!

I guess we'll get another chance at these great condition old saws when the collectors age out/die out. But this time around we'll pay dearly.

Saw looks like it was used about a week's worth if that.....you gotta wonder what the story was there.......

Does a bid retraction on eBay mean that you got cold feet and asked the seller to retract your winning bid? If so the present high bidder/buyer has had 10 bid retractions in the last six months. I thought it meant if you made a typo as a buyer on the amount or the seller never answered your questions etc and you wanted to retract your bid. In any event, this is more than honest mistakes....looks like the way this buyer does business. In all my yrs on eBay as a buyer, I've never done it.

Kevin

I had to once......meant to bid $50.00 but typed $5oo.oo and didn't catch it until to late!!! That was in my early days....never did that again!!

10 bid retractions in 6 months seems to be way out of line.......

Well now......A large, well packed box waiting for me went I got to the shop this morning...FedX rarely gets here before 11:00 but they were on it this morning!!!

Unpacked the 80......quite a unit!! It's about as I would have assumed......all sorts of different nonstock screws....but covers all in good shape...no cracks.

This not her first rodeo......she been 'round the horn......not her first summer out.......

New 20" Oregon bar and chipper chain.....not my favorite but serviceable for something else.

Serious compression...may have oil in the cyl or something...can only get it to pull over about once then stops.....perhaps short cord....

The pipe is very well made and looks to have been made for this saw as the flange that mounts it to the cyl only has the correct hole spacing for this ex port.

Muffler bolts are tack welded in place but easy enough to cut away the welds with a small wheel on the dremel.

Flocked air filter....needs cleaning but in good shape.

Well worn spur drive clutch drum that will go to recycling...

Interesting........I think the saw itself will go to parts with some things like the pipe and some other bits will move to a nicer case......perhaps the P&C or as I said may increase it to a 90 and some creative grinding done to that......may have to retune the pipe but that's doable.....fun project for the dark months.

More to follow with pics as I find time to dig into it further...stay tuned!!!

Well now......A large, well packed box waiting for me went I got to the shop this morning...FedX rarely gets here before 11:00 but they were on it this morning!!!

Unpacked the 80......quite a unit!! It's about as I would have assumed......all sorts of different nonstock screws....but covers all in good shape...no cracks.

This not her first rodeo......she been 'round the horn......not her first summer out.......

New 20" Oregon bar and chipper chain.....not my favorite but serviceable for something else.

Serious compression...may have oil in the cyl or something...can only get it to pull over about once then stops.....perhaps short cord....

The pipe is very well made and looks to have been made for this saw as the flange that mounts it to the cyl only has the correct hole spacing for this ex port.

Muffler bolts are tack welded in place but easy enough to cut away the welds with a small wheel on the dremel.

Flocked air filter....needs cleaning but in good shape.

Well worn spur drive clutch drum that will go to recycling...

Interesting........I think the saw itself will go to parts with some things like the pipe and some other bits will move to a nicer case......perhaps the P&C or as I said may increase it to a 90 and some creative grinding done to that......may have to retune the pipe but that's doable.....fun project for the dark months.

More to follow with pics as I find time to dig into it further...stay tuned!!!

I had a hydro lock issue on my 801. It turns out the low mix needle was set too rich and not by much.

Yep just cleaned up it a tad...got the loose stuff off!! Lot of nice parts.....inner and outer bar plates look near new...nice...not all chowered up from tossing the chain.......like the chain catcher is. Clutch cover looks recent as well......however the bar studs are very short and the rear one is adverse to allowing the nut to thread on. Have to hit that with a 3 cornered file before I try to run it.
Kind of weird......the layers of paint are worn away and on the flywheel side the lowest level looks to be orange with red laid over that...hope the pics show that....

IMG_0381.jpg IMG_0382.jpg IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0386.jpg IMG_0388.jpg IMG_0390.jpg

Yep just cleaned up it a tad...got the loose stuff off!! Lot of nice parts.....inner and outer bar plates look near new...nice...not all chowered up from tossing the chain.......like the chain catcher is. Clutch cover looks recent as well......however the bar studs are very short and the rear one is adverse to allowing the nut to thread on. Have to hit that with a 3 cornered file before I try to run it.
Kind of weird......the layers of paint are worn away and on the flywheel side the lowest level looks to be orange with red laid over that...hope the pics show that....

View attachment 766667 View attachment 766669 View attachment 766670 View attachment 766671 View attachment 766672 View attachment 766674

Is strange, almost looks like someone attempted to paint it Husky orange at one point....probably to cover up the bare mag? She's definitely had a few rodeos under 'er belt. Interesting saw though. These days, you made out fine on just the parts alone....if you had to get your money back.

I've never seen a 'well purposed' ol' J'red that didn't have a chewed up chain catcher. I had my original 80 for yrs before I even knew what that was. Full-wraps often take the brunt of the damage when the chain slips off....that and the clutch cover.

Another shipped dirty saw. Like I said before....don't understand that thought process other than 'I don't care'. I stopped buying vacuum cleaners to collect because the freight was getting so high...and 9 outa 10 times they'd come packed full with somebody's dirt. You'd think at least they'd throw the bag away.....people....lol.

Kevin

Had a little time this evening to look at this thing a bit closer. Real strange that I couldn't pull it over more than one revolution...pulled the plug and it pulled over better but still a lot more resistance than it should. Pulled the recoil...ah-ha...really gummed up...couple shots of WD around the pulley screw and pawls and some serious yanking and she loosened right up. Good hot spark......pulled the top cover...pretty scroungy in there too...carb and air filter intake had a bunch of very old red overspray in them. But everything seemed in order, fuel line supple...not hard or cracked.....OEM too....as was the in tank line and filter. Had a mish mosh of flat blade screws holding the cover on so I replaced them with the correct ones when I put the cover back on....threads all good. Got the cover on and no spark??? Pulled it back off and scraped the case and cover joints and reinstalled...all good again. To late tonight to try and start it but she pulls over great now....matter of fact she pulls a bit to easy or way easier than my other 80s......new set of cabers would likely fix that. May try to fire it in the morning......if it will....the seller said it was a good running stock saw......and no matter how pitiful it looks, being a Jonsereds 80 with good hot spark, I expect it is.

Had a little time this evening to look at this thing a bit closer. Real strange that I couldn't pull it over more than one revolution...pulled the plug and it pulled over better but still a lot more resistance than it should. Pulled the recoil...ah-ha...really gummed up...couple shots of WD around the pulley screw and pawls and some serious yanking and she loosened right up. Good hot spark......pulled the top cover...pretty scroungy in there too...carb and air filter intake had a bunch of very old red overspray in them. But everything seemed in order, fuel line supple...not hard or cracked.....OEM too....as was the in tank line and filter. Had a mish mosh of flat blade screws holding the cover on so I replaced them with the correct ones when I put the cover back on....threads all good. Got the cover on and no spark??? Pulled it back off and scraped the case and cover joints and reinstalled...all good again. To late tonight to try and start it but she pulls over great now....matter of fact she pulls a bit to easy or way easier than my other 80s......new set of cabers would likely fix that. May try to fire it in the morning......if it will....the seller said it was a good running stock saw......and no matter how pitiful it looks, being a Jonsereds 80 with good hot spark, I expect it is.

Probably a little down on compression but if it’s 145+Psi, it should scream.

I HATE receiving dirty saws....lol.

Kevin

Any good sites to find older Jonsered parts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Few and far between........sawagain.com is a one of the better chances.. ..ebay is worth watching but parts for the true Jonsereds are really drying up.....understandable since they've been out of production for 35 years.....

So I escaped the "Honey Do" list this morning for a very short period....went over to the shop "To get Tools" and instead fueled up the 80. She fired right up on the 4th pull and seemed to run good at first......but that was short lived. Got it over the wood pile and she was starting to stumble....got about halfway through a piece of 12" maple and she failed.....about then I noticed the pipe was loose. So back to the shop and cut the welds on the bolts. He had used pretty short Philips head screws....the one on the pto side is in behind the bend in the pipe and real difficult to get onto. Discarded all that crap and found the proper OEM Jonsered bolts and a new gasket (there was none) and with a ball end driver got it all back together. When I had it apart I looked at the piston through the port....looked good but a lot of fuel.....I thought she was leaning out in the cut but now it looks more like flooded out......that flocked filter was pretty clogged with dried out oil and fines.....perhaps that's the problem. Oh well another day coming.....back to the "Honey Do" list......

So I escaped the "Honey Do" list this morning for a very short period....went over to the shop "To get Tools" and instead fueled up the 80. She fired right up on the 4th pull and seemed to run good at first......but that was short lived. Got it over the wood pile and she was starting to stumble....got about halfway through a piece of 12" maple and she failed.....about then I noticed the pipe was loose. So back to the shop and cut the welds on the bolts. He had used pretty short Philips head screws....the one on the pto side is in behind the bend in the pipe and real difficult to get onto. Discarded all that crap and found the proper OEM Jonsered bolts and a new gasket (there was none) and with a ball end driver got it all back together. When I had it apart I looked at the piston through the port....looked good but a lot of fuel.....I thought she was leaning out in the cut but now it looks more like flooded out......that flocked filter was pretty clogged with dried out oil and fines.....perhaps that's the problem. Oh well another day coming.....back to the "Honey Do" list......

Carb needs a kit most likely.....could have a leaking crank seal. Dirty saw like that, suspect and check everything...lol.

I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard in the last two yrs where someone got a vintage saw they paid a LOT of $$$$ for and just started runnin’ it. One of the seals gave out and they toasted the piston & jug on saws that were extremely rare.

Conventional wisdom would dictate that when the saw won’t tune or when it starts runnin’ lean.....you’d shut it off and investigate, but in reality that ain’t happening on expensive collectors saws.

You and I both know that trusting 30+yr old seals is a fool’s errand.

Carb needs a kit most likely.....could have a leaking crank seal. Dirty saw like that, suspect and check everything...lol.

I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard in the last two yrs where someone got a vintage saw they paid a LOT of $$$$ for and just started runnin’ it. One of the seals gave out and they toasted the piston & jug on saws that were extremely rare.

Conventional wisdom would dictate that when the saw won’t tune or when it starts runnin’ lean.....you’d shut it off and investigate, but in reality that ain’t happening on expensive collectors saws.

You and I both know that trusting 30+yr old seals is a fool’s errand.

Very true.......this was just a first shot at seeing if it would in fact even start or run. Not likely I'll spend much time , effort or fresh parts on this saw body. Only had a tiny window yesterday to deal with it and was more intent on getting the pipe on solidly. Think I've come up with a adapter plate to eliminate the "behind the bend" screw issue on the clutch side. I think next time I'll replace the air filter with a NOS brass screen type and see what that does......may go as far as kitting the carb but not going to get involved with seals on this leaky old war horse. Rather put the NOS seals in a way better set of cases and start a new build using a lot of the good parts from this saw. Haven't even run it enough to try and tune it.....since it came Dubuque Iowa at 700 foot elevation and I'm at like 15 foot elevation I'm sure she'll need a little tweeking. I'll get some more time to play with it later this week.......did sound nasty and spooled up real quick until it started messing up. All in all, even though it failed I consider it a success just for it to start right up.

Very true.......this was just a first shot at seeing if it would in fact even start or run. Not likely I'll spend much time , effort or fresh parts on this saw body. Only had a tiny window yesterday to deal with it and was more intent on getting the pipe on solidly. Think I've come up with a adapter plate to eliminate the "behind the bend" screw issue on the clutch side. I think next time I'll replace the air filter with a NOS brass screen type and see what that does......may go as far as kitting the carb but not going to get involved with seals on this leaky old war horse. Rather put the NOS seals in a way better set of cases and start a new build using a lot of the good parts from this saw. Haven't even run it enough to try and tune it.....since it came Dubuque Iowa at 700 foot elevation and I'm at like 15 foot elevation I'm sure she'll need a little tweeking. I'll get some more time to play with it later this week.......did sound nasty and spooled up real quick until it started messing up. All in all, even though it failed I consider it a success just for it to start right up.

Good deal....I’m just curious of the sound from that muffler! I’ve only seen vids....never seen a chainsaw run with that dirt bike type muffler in the flesh.

No better guy for a new build project or whatever you decide to do with it.

Snap a pic of the bottom if you get a chance.....like to see the mag rot issue?

Kevin

Good deal....I’m just curious of the sound from that muffler! I’ve only seen vids....never seen a chainsaw run with that dirt bike type muffler in the flesh.

No better guy for a new build project or whatever you decide to do with it.

Snap a pic of the bottom if you get a chance.....like to see the mag rot issue?

Kevin

Will do......probably tomorrow...still serving at the brides pleasure.....and not in a good way......around the house chores and such the rest of the day......sigh.....

The worst mag rot I ever saw was on a 70's Partner that was stored on the floor of a milkhouse on a dairy farm. The floor was always wet and they use an acid cleaner for the pipeline milking system that was also always present. The saw came to me with the complaint of "the cord won't pull". I guess it wouldn't. The whole bottom of the saw was gone. It looked like one of those factory cutaway displays. On top of that the crank was rusted solid. I wish I had a picture of it, but this was way back in the olden days before I owned a camera.

Back