Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll take your word for it-I’m no expert. I suppose the clutch breaking into a bunch of pieces probably knocked the vent loose. (So, that’s the egg before the chicken...?)

Yup, one broken lip. I figured that cross piece was part of the clutch assembly. Guess I’ll have to make sure that’s included when I find one.

Anybody got a part number handy for crank seals on the 80?

Husqvarna 504 14 62-00 for the seals. Size 15x30x6mm.

I used 15x30x7 since they’re more plentiful....1mm thicker. On the crank side with the oiler cam, put the seal in flush, no more. The other side has more room. Put them both flush and forget about it.

No, the cross piece is not usually in with a drum kit. You may have some trouble finding that.

Judging by the damage marks on your case, sure looks to me like the brakes let go first and the damage followed. Spring could have snapped too.

Kevin

Here's an interesting add...….and description.....not sure what "Heats up under heavy use" means...….

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-8...722057?hash=item4b755f3949:g:Go0AAOSwm69eXn3o

Yeah, I don't know what the heck he's talking about....if the crank seals are leaking some, it's possible the saw's running lean enough to cause heat build up....as in a smoking muffler. Anytime I see a smoking muffler and it's not pitch, I investigate the cause.

You can just figure the crank seals are bad unless he replaced them.....if the carb is set too lean it will run hot too. Who knows how much this guy knows. It's probably not toasted yet or it wouldn't start and run/idle right. I think he's trying to be honest, but without seeing this saw in person, I'd push away from this one.

Kevin

An interesting observation is that some "pro" quality Jonsered models are back on the market here, at a local re-established dealership (not "box-store" or anything close to that, but a true dealership).
So far it is restricted to the 2252, 2253 and 2258 models (no 2260, or any larger models). This may sound "halv-hearted" - but the fact is that these are the models that are most relevant in this market.

An interesting observation is that some "pro" quality Jonsered models are back on the market here, at a local re-established dealership (not "box-store" or anything close to that, but a true dealership).
So far it is restricted to the 2252, 2253 and 2258 models (no 2260, or any larger models). This may sound "halv-hearted" - but the fact is that these are the models that are most relevant in this market.

That's incredibly interesting.....especially when we were all getting used to the Jonsered marque as dead. I wonder where they are going with this?

Kevin

That's incredibly interesting.....especially when we were all getting used to the Jonsered marque as dead. I wonder where they are going with this?

Kevin
So do I!

The Norwegian Jonsered website isn't listing the 2252 or 2253, but it is listing the 2258. The site is listing fairly recent IPLs and OMs for all those models though - so I'm trusting the dealers word that they all are available (he didn't have a 2253 in stock when I visited him).

To be frank I am not that surprised that this is happening - the "Redmax" brand is a North American sales brand only (for Zenoah products originally), and there is no chance that saws with that brand name will catch on over here.

So do I!

The Norwegian Jonsered website isn't listing the 2252 or 2253, but it is listing the 2258. The site is listing fairly recent IPLs and OMs for all those models though - so I'm trusting the dealers word that they all are available (he didn't have a 2253 in stock when I visited him).

To be frank I am not that surprised that this is happening - the "Redmax" brand is a North American sales brand only (for Zenoah products originally), and there is no chance that saws with that brand name will catch on over here.

I don’t know how successful the “Redmax’” brand is selling over here in the US. Most of us are avoiding them like the plague. But fundamentally, cheapskates are always drawn to low priced chainsaws.

Kevin

I don’t know how successful the “Redmax’” brand is selling over here in the US. Most of us are avoiding them like the plague. But fundamentally, cheapskates are always drawn to low priced chainsaws.

Kevin
As far as I know there is no technical/quality related reason to avoid Redmax branded products - but the fact that it is just a "sales" brand is reason enough imo.

Of course, Jonsered mainly is just a sales brand as well these days - but the major difference is the very distinguished production past of that brand. There is no such history behind the Redmax brand.

As far as I know there is no technical/quality related reason to avoid Redmax branded products - but the fact that it is just a "sales" brand is reason enough imo.

Of course, Jonsered mainly is just a sales brand as well these days - but the major difference is the very distinguished production past of that brand. There is no such history behind the Redmax brand.

The general theory in my area is that Redmax is a Chinese copy of the Jonsereds. Most have just switched to Husqvarna, a name they know.

The general theory in my area is that Redmax is a Chinese copy of the Jonsereds. Most have just switched to Husqvarna, a name they know.

:lol:That's funny, but also a bit tragic of course!:omg:

For all I know some of the cheaper models may be made in China (but if so they aren't copies of Jonsereds). As far as I know, at least the more expensive ones either are made by Zenoah in Japan or Husky in Sweden. At least it used to be that way, as long as I was updated on the topic (a few years ago)...

Hey Niko!! Great to see you around here! And equally good to hear that the Jonsered brand is somehow surviving somewhere still!

Thanks my friend!:)

I still post in the chainsaw forum now and then, when I have something to tell, see something particularly interesting, or am "called" upon. Most days I just visit the "Good Morning" thread though.

I didn't. On a no new saw diet for about 4 more weeks.

Lol...hear that! WA put the ca bosh on me buying anything over $50 on eBay. They are one of a group of miscreant states that now collect sales tax on all online purchases. That's caused me to quit buying expensive things online, while trying to find stuff more local, privately. Shipping plus the tax is just a no go for me.....don't need it that badly. I do use Amazon, but mostly to get my money's worth on the Prime free shipping. ....they do hit me with WA tax though for everything.

I was just curious how the owner describes the 'over heating' problem.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back