Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to choose one Jonsereds in this cc range, it would be the 70e. Don't mind the weight or the girth given it's a pro saw and I know it will last forever.

There is nothing really that dates this saw other than the weight and girth.......compared to the newer stuff.

Hope it winds up in your stable!!

Kevin

I agree Kevin, 70e is a great saw. I sold one last year and instantly regretted it. Took a bit to find a replacement for it and I can tell you this one isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It is a bit heavy, but despite the weight it is well balanced and just feels "right" in your hands.

Yep.... 70e is a nice saw. Spent many days behind one cutting big pine and spruce saw logs in the winters of the 80’s. To bad they had such a potentially problematic fan/ign. They cured this with the updated later versions with the alum flywheel and (now) modern one piece coil. I have been collecting parts to build one of these units. However there are way more of the older ones around than the newer ones. ...

Yep.... 70e is a nice saw. Spent many days behind one cutting big pine and spruce saw logs in the winters of the 80’s. To bad they had such a potentially problematic fan/ign. They cured this with the updated later versions with the alum flywheel and (now) modern one piece coil. I have been collecting parts to build one of these units. However there are way more of the older ones around than the newer ones. ...

This is true and the one I have a line on is the older style......so no hurry.....lol.

Kevin

I use a steering wheel puller for all my flywheel work. Use my own mm bolt lengths and fender washers. Sometimes I'll strip a hole in the flywheel and I just tap to the next mm size.

Don't run your puller bolts past the thickness of the flywheel because it's easy to hit igntion parts under the flwheel and ruin them. In this case, you'd damage the SEM's module potting and maybe more.

Kevin

I use a steering wheel puller for all my flywheel work. Use my own mm bolt lengths and fender washers. Sometimes I'll strip a hole in the flywheel and I just tap to the next mm size.

Don't run your puller bolts past the thickness of the flywheel because it's easy to hit igntion parts under the flwheel and ruin them. In this case, you'd damage the SEM's module potting and maybe more.

Kevin
Thank you.
That’s why I am going to build a specific puller. I Don’t want to ruin something in the ignition while removing the flywheel. It’s not a problem to make one at work.

I see you are in eastern Wa. Whereabouts if you don’t mind me asking.

Aaron.

Thank you.
That’s why I am going to build a specific puller. I Don’t want to ruin something in the ignition while removing the flywheel. It’s not a problem to make one at work.

I see you are in eastern Wa. Whereabouts if you don’t mind me asking.

Aaron.

Southeastern WA, not far from OR.

The steering wheel puller works fine using a couple of fender washers under the bolt heads.....but yeah, something purpose built would be cool.

I don't remember what the Husky/Jonsered tool looks like......maybe mock something like that up.

Kevin

Hello all,
new to the forum and Jonsereds. Just got lucky yesterday and picked up a 49sp in great condition as far as I can tell. Threw some fuel mix in her and tried firing up but she wouldn’t turn over. I decided to pore a lil bit of gas in carb throat and choked her pulled cord and she fired over for about five seconds. Unfortunately that was all the time I had yesterday. Hoping to get to it today. I’ll try and get some pics up. the reason I say I was lucky is I only paid $25 for this beauty.

Hello all,
new to the forum and Jonsereds. Just got lucky yesterday and picked up a 49sp in great condition as far as I can tell. Threw some fuel mix in her and tried firing up but she wouldn’t turn over. I decided to pore a lil bit of gas in carb throat and choked her pulled cord and she fired over for about five seconds. Unfortunately that was all the time I had yesterday. Hoping to get to it today. I’ll try and get some pics up. the reason I say I was lucky is I only paid $25 for this beauty.
Sounds like you have spark so that's good.....looks like a thorough inspection of your fuel lines and filter are the first thing to look at....the line should fit tightly on the carb connection and the line must be long enough the filter can lay on the bottom of the tank......look for any cracks or pin holes. If that all checks out you have to dig into the carb for a though cleaning and a new full kit.

Well the Jonsered 70E is officially mine now. Time to get serious about refreshing it. Built a puller at work today. Clutch side is 30mm bolt pattern. Flywheel is 40mm bolt pattern. M5x.8 threads.
View attachment 836693View attachment 836694
Whoa....you should offer that to us old J'reds freaks! Nice! I suspect though, the bolt patterns will be different on the larger J'reds.

I have an old Granberg File 'n joint from the 70's that was made to sharpen square file chisel chain. I've cobbled it up over the yrs because of the cheap alloy pot metal they used. Somebody with your talents would make short work of repairing it, I bet.

Kevin

Whoa....you should offer that to us old J'reds freaks! Nice! I suspect though, the bolt patterns will be different on the larger J'reds.

I have an old Granberg File 'n joint from the 70's that was made to sharpen square file chisel chain. I've cobbled it up over the yrs because of the cheap alloy pot metal they used. Somebody with your talents would make short work of repairing it, I bet.

Kevin
Thanks!
I can make more that’s not a problem. The center bolt won’t be as fancy though, I’ll probably just use a standard bolt and turn a point on it. If anyone is interested just shoot me a PM I’ll gladly ship to anywhere in the lower 48.
If you have pics of that granberg or dimensions send them to me and I’ll see if I can help.

Thanks, been waiting a looooong time to get anyone interested in doing something like this. My Granberg sharpener was at a metal works shop for seven months and they did nothing.

I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully the link in AS where a retired machinist made a square file sharpener I think out of a Granberg like mine. Anyway, we had a long thread about it. He didn't want to make another one.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back