Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my 49sp is running good just got done cutting some limbs up for my mother inlaw. I am not sure if I have to much mix or if it is running to hot but it is smoking pretty good when running it.

What is your mix ratio and what are you using? If you see the muffler itself smoking, you need to investigate....

Kevin

What is your mix ratio and what are you using? If you see the muffler itself smoking, you need to investigate....

Kevin
Mix is 50:1 and using two cycle oil
Now my understanding is that the chainsaw hasn't run for over ten years. And yes smoke is coming from exhaust. Like I said not sure if maybe it is to rich or getting to hot

That is a tank vent line as Kevin said. It actually terminates way out in the in the trigger handle on the right side after it passes through the case. The other end attaches to the vent on the top of the gas tank on the left side of the saw. Couple pics of two non-running 2050's I have here, they are pretty much the same as 2045. The first pic is from a 1995 and the line just slips into the vent fitting. The second pic is of a 1996 2050 and this shows a check valve attaching to the same fitting and the hose then attaching to the check valve then going to the right side. Either way the hose attaches in the same place. I don't know much about these saws as they are not something I would use......not as long as I had a running 49SP......

View attachment 843631View attachment 843632
Thanks cantdog. This one looks like your '95 as it didnt have that check valve, unless it was supposed to have one and it got removed at some point. That vent fitting on the left which is where I assumed it went looked like it was just a pocket, didnt see any kind of vent there. Customer picked it up yesterday and havent heard anything back so I assume it's running ok. He dropped a 2145/2150 turbo off at same time. That one had bent throttle linkage so it wasnt getting full throttle. 1st time I've ever seen throttle linkage that didnt attach to the trigger, it's just a push rod. Dont care for that at all. Would never own J'red myself, I have my E ho CS400 for the small stuff and an old Poulan 3700 for the big stuff.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks cantdog. This one looks like your '95 as it didnt have that check valve, unless it was supposed to have one and it got removed at some point. That vent fitting on the left which is where I assumed it went looked like it was just a pocket, didnt see any kind of vent there. Customer picked it up yesterday and havent heard anything back so I assume it's running ok. He dropped a 2145/2150 turbo off at same time. That one had bent throttle linkage so it wasnt getting full throttle. 1st time I've ever seen throttle linkage that didnt attach to the trigger, it's just a push rod. Dont care for that at all. Would never own J'red myself, I have my E ho CS400 for the small stuff and an old Poulan 3700 for the big stuff.

Yeah those don't really represent the original Jonsereds quality......I have no use for them at all.....though I will say I have a 2055 that is a pretty nice saw but smaller ones are not much.......IMHO....

Mix is 50:1 and using two cycle oil
Now my understanding is that the chainsaw hasn't run for over ten years. And yes smoke is coming from exhaust. Like I said not sure if maybe it is to rich or getting to hot

What I was trying to explain is that in a hot running saw, the muffler itself may smoke....not just out of the exhaust port, but they can get so hot the top. bottom, sides etc....like steam is coming off the muffler if that makes any sense.

If it's a Tilly carb, you should be about 1 1/4 turn out for LOW and about 1 turn out for HIGH. If you have HIGH any leaner to 4stroke well, then you have an air leak somewhere most likely.

What brand of mix oil are you runnin'?

Kevin

For whatever reason, the Swedes got over complicated/weird on the gas tank venting system. It's also that way with a lot of Husky saws. I think they just overthought it.

My 2100 has this goofy vent system that is unobtianium. But there's this little plastic check vent(maybe Echo) you can buy along with the right sized gas-rated grommet.....you just stick the two pieces into the existing hole in the tank body. Done and done......and you don't have to search for something that's uber rare/expensive.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back