Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices like that always bring a story to mind. There was this old fella lived in Surry, the next town over and he had a real nice, stock 1954 Harley Panhead that he rode once a year down the street a couple miles and back. This was in 1989, the first year of the Harley Fat Boy and we had a guy from away with lots of money show up in town. He had connections I guess as had two Fat Boys in factory crates delivered to his house. That first year the Fat Boy only came in silver so he unpacked one of them and got it going, rode it around proud as could be. One day he stops into the old fella's place because he had the panhead out putting another coat of wax on it. So Bruce talks with the old guy for a bit and then asks "Tell ya what......I'll swap you even this brand new, first year Fat Boy." The old fella scratched his chin a couple times and says, "Can you get any more of them?".......Bruce smiled and said "Yes I can"........the old fella looked at him a minute and said, "Well, thanks for the offer but I guess not.......' cause you see.......you can't get anymore of these" The old fella told me this story himself.....slapping his knee and laughing heartily.......when he ended the story saying "And I sent him down the road!!! LOL!!!

The AMF yrs of Harley are not thought of to be the best bikes. I looked at Harley around '94 and was not impressed by the fit & finish or the price. I think the Evo engine hadn't come out yet. No doubt Harley always had 'the look'. When the big Japanese cruisers came out in the 90's, they endeavored to 'look' like the Harley's on the surface, but in form & function they were very different, totally reliable bikes. I settled on a 1400 Suzuki cruiser which I still have. Granted it has some chrome engine covers that are supposed to make it look like a Harley 'shovel head'. But that's where the comparison ends; overhead cams, three valve cylinders and two carbs. It was the fasted cruiser to 100mph back then.....I used to tease Harley owners with it.....lol.

The Honda 750CB changed motorcycles forever. Before that there was nothing but a rash of poorly made American and British bikes that spent more time being repaired then they ever ran. I had a Harley XLCH in HS...when it was running, it was a great bike......faaaaast. But I never knew if it was going to kick over or when it was going to kick over....lol. It may sound unAmerican, but Japanese bikes were truly amazing things......

Kevin

Yep the AMF years were bad!! The Evo made it's first appearance in 85 and some models were still chain drive...86 they went to complete belt drive on all models. My 1959 Panhead is still in fine order after owning it for the last 44 years....we been along ways together....wore the speedo out at the first 100,000 miles....it is one of 151 FLH models made in 59...that was the top of the line back then. It sits right between my 900 Super Sport Ducati and my 916 Ducati Superbike......I guess I'm just to cheap to buy more than 2 sparkplugs at a time!!!!

I always wanted a Hayabusa......but that would have made me lose my license. My friend bought a modern Triumph crotch rocket about ten yrs ago. He didn't have a motorcycle endorsement, so he asked me to ride it home. I was fooin' around with it on the hwy and got it up on its power band.....in no time I was doing 140mph without the bike even in a sweat. Nay, nay.....I did NOT need anything like that....lol. Scary fast and mostly impractical.

Now that Harley V-Rod is a sweet bike...you sit upright. If I ever got anything else, it would be that. But again, how to you stay off the throttle......

Kevin

There's a guy from Sweden that started another saw forum. He claims the 100cc 910 was not only a reality, but actually produced! So that's more than a few prototypes.

They had a problem though with the case castings and they were failing around the seals. Many were sent back for new cases. Not sure if this was due to some issues at the Partner plant or what.

He also indicated that the saws were sent HERE mostly because of their size. WHAT?????? This may be now the rarest saw in NA.....this might account for "Denny", the infamous PNW logger pictured in Jonserds sales literature to always have a 910E.

All I can say(still in shock), is SHOW ME the money!

Kevin

OK, so the word is that however many were made of the 100cc 910E's(and it was a low number), they were sent to NA. So unless they blew up.....this is probably the rarest saw out there.

As far as any numbers, it's all hearsay.

Kevin

OK, so the word is that however many were made of the 100cc 910E's(and it was a low number), they were sent to NA. So unless they blew up.....this is probably the rarest saw out there.

As far as any numbers, it's all hearsay.

Kevin
They didn't blow up.... they are all probably sitting around with bad coils :ices_rofl:.

Well, I'd sure like to get my hands on one, even broken. I have the rear handle mount kits. And coils unless they used another....doubtful.

Or just see a vid of one ripping into some wood.....lol!

I just bet they gave that "Denny" one and the reason he was so loyal to that model. Probably had some production designation that it was 100cc, like 910E-X or whatever.

I need to quit obsessing over this....lol. That Swedish site owner is going to talk with those old Jonsereds factory workers he knows. Short of written documents, this is the best info we will ever get. He says they react oddly when queried about Jonsereds questions. One worked right at the time that Jonsereds and Partner quietly merged operations. Information like this is invaluable to us here in the States.

The guy that worked at Tilton in MN we were talkin' with was hard pressed to give out answers too. I don't get it, but ya can't afford to make these guys mad.

The case casting failures of the 100cc 910E were actually the fault of the Jonsereds factory, not Partner as I originally suspected. Partner's case casting process was known to be better. Who'd of thought.....

Kevin

Well, I'd sure like to get my hands on one, even broken. I have the rear handle mount kits. And coils unless they used another....doubtful.

Or just see a vid of one ripping into some wood.....lol!

I just bet they gave that "Denny" one and the reason he was so loyal to that model. Probably had some production designation that it was 100cc, like 910E-X or whatever.

I need to quit obsessing over this....lol. That Swedish site owner is going to talk with those old Jonsereds factory workers he knows. Short of written documents, this is the best info we will ever get. He says they react oddly when queried about Jonsereds questions. One worked right at the time that Jonsereds and Partner quietly merged operations. Information like this is invaluable to us here in the States.

The guy that worked at Tilton in MN we were talkin' with was hard pressed to give out answers too. I don't get it, but ya can't afford to make these guys mad.

The case casting failures of the 100cc 910E were actually the fault of the Jonsereds factory, not Partner as I originally suspected. Partner's case casting process was known to be better. Who'd of thought.....

Kevin
Interesting info for sure. I too would love to see one. I always figured that if there were any out there they existed in prototype form only & in super low numbers.

Interesting info for sure. I too would love to see one. I always figured that if there were any out there they existed in prototype form only & in super low numbers.

Went past prototype into small numbers....AND wound up over here. I guess that's exciting except I never heard anyone mention one in all the saw forums over the yrs. :(

I'd give that 111S I have as an even trade for one, even if it had ripped rear handle AV's and a bad coil.

Maybe more info will come out when he asks the old Jonsereds factory workers......when they're not being weird. Patience, patience........lol.

I thought the same thing;a few prototypes floating around over in Europe. I had no idea they actually came over here and some were sent back for bad case castings.......insane.

Kevin

The p/n for your busted piece is 506 15 89 01, which according to Jack’s small engines is still available via Husky/Redmax and is only $5.24, so you could try ordering it and hope you get lucky.
Well I ordered this from Jack's only to have them tell me several days later it's NLA. Guess it's not gonna be likely I'll find another vent, so guess it's time to make one.

Well I ordered this from Jack's only to have them tell me several days later it's NLA. Guess it's not gonna be likely I'll find another vent, so guess it's time to make one.

Well, like I said earlier, the thread is likely to be Euro pipe thread which is very similar to US IPS. Try a Sch80 nipple in there...the plastic threads won't hurt anything on the saw case. If it fits, from there you should be able to reduce and fashion something similar to the OE part.

Kevin

Back