Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know where to find felling spikes for a 621? Were they ever made for a 621?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.020-.030 is what they tell me. You can always go to the edge, but on a really hot day and when expansion is greatest.....you may regret it.

On most of the old J'reds the base gaskets are incredibly thin....I think that's why a lot of the performance builders delete the base gasket and go with just sealer.

Kevin

.020-.030 is what they tell me. You cab always go to the edge, but on a really hot day and when expansion is greatest.....you may regret it.

On most of the old J'reds the base gaskets are incredibly thin....I think that's why a lot of the performance builders delete the base gasket and go with just sealer.

Kevin
Yes they are.......usually around 0.007" compressed so you won't pick up a lot of squish by simply deleting the base gasket. Depending on what the squish figures are you would only get to 0.020" by machining the cyl base to get that figure with the base gasket.

Hello All,
New here and was wondering if any one knows where I can find a service manual and/or owners manual for a Jonsereds 49SP.
I found one that looks like it has only been used a few times in its life, it looks almost new!
Wanted to learn more about it and also find out what the mix ratio is for the gas.
I have seen 25 to 1 and 40 to 1 on the web.
Thank you,
Art

Hello All,
New here and was wondering if any one knows where I can find a service manual and/or owners manual for a Jonsereds 49SP.
I found one that looks like it has only been used a few times in its life, it looks almost new!
Wanted to learn more about it and also find out what the mix ratio is for the gas.
I have seen 25 to 1 and 40 to 1 on the web.
Thank you,
Art
Welcome to the site. I have never seen a service manual for the 49SP but owners manuals can be found on ebay from time to time. You can get answers to most any Jonsereds question you might have right here, from splitting the cases to spark plug replacement.
As far as oil goes, I run all mine at 50:1 using a high quality full synthetic oil......personally I use Stihl Ultra as it's very high detergent and I can buy it just down the road 6 days a week.

Welcome Art!
I too use the Stihl Ultra, but have recently fattened it to 40:1. I have no reason for doing that other than being uber cautious and running principally vintage saws. With a modern, high quality oil mix, there is no advantage to fatten the mix beyond 40:1.

We've never put together a list here for vintage ported J'reds that don't have companion Service Manuals, but there are a few. AFAIK, I've never seen a Service Manual for a 910e....to name another.

Kevin

Welcome to the site. I have never seen a service manual for the 49SP but owners manuals can be found on ebay from time to time. You can get answers to most any Jonsereds question you might have right here, from splitting the cases to spark plug replacement.
As far as oil goes, I run all mine at 50:1 using a high quality full synthetic oil......personally I use Stihl Ultra as it's very high detergent and I can buy it just down the road 6 days a week.
Thanks for the welcome and information.
Checked eBay, no luck but I will keep checking!

Welcome Art!
I too use the Stihl Ultra, but have recently fattened it to 40:1. I have no reason for doing that other than being uber cautious and running principally vintage saws. With a modern, high quality oil mix, there is no advantage to fatten the mix beyond 40:1.

We've never put together a list here for vintage ported J'reds that don't have companion Service Manuals, but there are a few. AFAIK, I've never seen a Service Manual for a 810e....to name another.

Kevin
Thanks for the welcome and reply on the oil mix.
I think I will go with the 40:1.
Kind of split the difference between 25:1 and 50:1!

Thanks for the welcome and reply on the oil mix.
I think I will go with the 40:1.
Kind of split the difference between 25:1 and 50:1!
You'll never get hurt @40:1 and the ol' ported J'reds. For me it's a bit of old school :cheers:peace of mind.

However, I ran 50:1 Ultra for many yrs without an incident of any kind.

I don't know why some of the J'reds had unpublished Service Manuals to consumers for some saw models....one of the many Jonsereds mysteries.

Kevin

Yeah the different oil ratios have more to do with the of production than the saws themselves. Meaning that as time went on oil technology improved so the ratios became lighter on the oil needed. Early saws called for 16:1 using nondetergent 30wt car motor oil.......they will still run fine on 40-50:1 with modern synthetic two stroke oil. I have seen many more chain saw P&Cs ruined from to much cheap oil rather than to little oil. Carbon KILLS!!!

I know quite a few stubborn types who given their druthers, will still use 32:1 or even 16:1 on modern ported saws. I've taken the jug off of a few of them too.....carbon/coke bombs waiting to happen....lol!

All it takes is one small piece of coke to flake off and travel down the side of the cylinder.....good bye internals.

We've come such a long way with modern oils and two cycles. I can remember a time before real bar oil when we just used motor oil and thinned it with diesel in the winter.

Kevin

Back