Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tap
I took a few photos while I had the saw apart this morning. Pay special attention to the fuel line in place on the saw. I don't like how it fits at all. It is in the way of the throttle arm at 3/4 to full throttle. It did not in tests but It could get trapped behind the fuel line, as it bumps into the hose on the way forward to wot and stretches the hose out of shape this is definitely a poor excuse for a fuel line. I will swap it out when I get the new one I just ordered last week supposedly it is one inch longer than this one? We will see, In the photos you can see the difference between the new one I just put on and the old one I took off.IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1521.JPG

Yes my boy I agree as well ! I am very glad you said that. I have been in the house now a while and thinking about it I came to the same conclusion a few hours ago. I will change it soon before I even try to run it. This is the way I thought I was told to put it in ? maybe not though. I could tell something was up or rather down when I saw how the linkage affected the line. I have a new one on the way when I get it I will swap it onto the saw. It is supposed to be 1 inch longer too so that will be good.
So the way the line is made it has to be installed from the inside of the tank up through the carb box floor,.. Right?

Definitely upside down......those lines are not the same as the OEM ones that I used to get....those had what might be described as a double grommet with a channel in between that locked them into the tank top.....with a flange inside and out. But the big end of the line is definitely filter end. Later versions went to just regular straight or pig tail lines......I prefer these to the built in grommet type....mostly because it doesn't cost $10-$12 for a fuel line. But if you have an early saw with the large fuel hole you're kind of stuck with it.......unless you swap out to a newer tank.....the latest versions of these saws (Super IIs and Champ) had recirculation carbs which meant they have two fuel line holes in the tank but at least they both take normal lines. So there are basically three different tank types that will bolt to this saw.

Well I kind of knew it was wrong right from the beginning, that is why I asked so many questions about the install of it. Not a big deal like I have said when the new supposedly longer line comes I will put it in the right way. But they must have to come up through from the bottom cause I cannot see pulling that cone shaped portion down through the hole from the top.
Next question as far as the tank vent so how do I check it? blow it out good enough? or do I unscrew it and take it out some how? I tried to unscrew it yesterday to check and make sure it was clear, but after about 20 turns of the screwdriver it did not move. I blew it out/off with compressed air though.

I just got the new gas line from Sawagain and ya know what it is at least 1" longer than the other new one I already had , the one that was on the saw wrong a moment ago. So if you need new gas line for the 630 and maybe others? don't waste time someplace else this is the one you need. It is the Oregon brand. I installed it up through the tank from the inside up towards the carb. I used a piece of blasting wire I had to do it with. I just fed the wire down through the carb floor, then I fed about 4-5 inches of the wire into the fuel line. The just pulled up on the wire while feeding the fuel line in through the tank cover hole. It came right up the carb floor perfectly. The line also came with a new filter.IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1528.JPG

Kevin had that listed for like $1200 at first, If I had to guess, he is in talks with someone about buying it and raised the price so no one would buy it to keep from pulling the listing from eBay, he always puts high prices, but considers good offers. He had a saw listed for $1000 and sold it to my buddy for $700 because that was the offer he had on eBay. But we also bought a lot of other stuff from him

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Kevin had that listed for like $1200 at first, If I had to guess, he is in talks with someone about buying it and raised the price so no one would buy it to keep from pulling the listing from eBay, he always puts high prices, but considers good offers. He had a saw listed for $1000 and sold it to my buddy for $700 because that was the offer he had on eBay. But we also bought a lot of other stuff from him

Makes sense....kinda. I know that a lot of stuff sold locally just disappears off eBay if it was listed there too. The eBay gods have no real way to track that and you can give some phoney excuse for dropping the listing, I think.

Kevin

Yep, but on the buy it now items you can just close it whenever you want, but depending on how much you sell on eBay you can be charged for it to put it back up, that's why some items go up and then come down when they have more stock. When I talked to Mr Kevin on the phone he was telling me he wouldn't pull the saw from eBay unless my buddy was absolutely sure he was buying it.

New from eBay.

How common are heated hot air handles on a 490?

Looks like a low hour machine.

Won't idle down. Suspect an air leak. Shows light scoring on exhaust side looking through the sparkplug hole. Can't see the intake side. Didn't want to disturb the hot air tubes on the muffler.
IMG_20190112_104238511.jpg IMG_20190112_104228261.jpg IMG_20190112_104211570.jpg IMG_20190112_102934156.jpg IMG_20190112_102906932.jpg IMG_20190112_102849827.jpg

That was a Partner thing, and the 490 basically being a Partner had them. It also trickled down to the 525, 450, etc. As for how common they were, I've seen a couple over the years, probably 1 out of a 100.

Yep they be a poor attempt at heated handles......however the 490 is an excellent saw....you can do away with the whole thing pretty easily.....no need for that to nullify a deal......490 pistons are in the aftermarket and the crank seals are the same as the 262, 257, 357, 359 etc. and likely more models as well so that's a non-issue too....very common Husky seal. These are relatively easy to source parts for.

From what I understand it was a failed design unlike the electric heated handles. Supposedly the tubes plug easily. But never having owned one..........

Does look low hr!

That was a Partner thing, and the 490 basically being a Partner had them. It also trickled down to the 525, 450, etc. As for how common they were, I've seen a couple over the years, probably 1 out of a 100.

Didn't think it was too practical. Gonna have to play find the air leak. Had the idle screw backed all the way out. Throttle butterfly was completely closed and it was still spinning the chain.

Yep they be a poor attempt at heated handles......however the 490 is an excellent saw....you can do away with the whole thing pretty easily.....no need for that to nullify a deal......490 pistons are in the aftermarket and the crank seals are the same as the 262, 257, 357, 359 etc. and likely more models as well so that's a non-issue too....very common Husky seal. These are relatively easy to source parts for.

Yep! Another fixer upper! Gonna be a nice one though!

Back