Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe on paper to an engineer, but in actual hard use the chain wears way into the spur and causes all kinds of problems. Whereas in a rim sprocket drive you just replace the rim. Also, since a spur drive can't float like a rim drive, your chain will come off easier when you snag it limbing. I never knew anybody in the woods who stuck with a spur drive.

What's favored in timed competition, I have no idea.

Kevin
Exactly why I switch saws to rim sprockets!! Might have had to skip out of the way of an odd chain or two over the years... :)

In pro use, it was a good day if the chain didn't come off......almost always snagged off in some nasty limbing exercise. The little 'feelers' are the ones that get ya because they're small enough to work in between the bar tip and chain.

Really depended upon how 'clean' the work was. Always using full-wraps, the wrap would take the brunt of the damage...rarely going into the chain guard hard.

Kevin

Husqvarna 2100CD versus the Jonsered 2094

Husqvarna:

99cc
56mm Bore
40mm Stroke
Max RPM around 9,500-10,000 wo/Gov

Jonsered:
94cc
56mm Bore
38mm Stoke
Acres doesn't say but it's way over the Husky

I had a chance today to pit these two great saws against each other. Both with Oregon .404 68CJ .063 gauge skip-tooth chisel chain. Both 36" Oregon bars....same fuel mix, same bar oil. I don't pretend this was some scientific comparison, but who wants that anyway?

Wood is Maple, down since late spring and cuts range from over three ft diameter to just under two ft. I didn't know what to expect going into this and there were surprises!

The 2094 screams, quite frankly....even 4stroking nicely. That was a nice surprise.....this saw has guts! However, hookin' the dawgs into buckin' three ft diameter Maple and larger, it doesn't have the torque to severely lean into your saw. The 2100 by comparison with that size wood just seems happy to take anything that you can give it. Wished I could make vids.

Now here's where the comparison gets interesting though.............when you get under three ft cuts where you can see the tip of your bar, the 2094 pulls away from the 2100 in cut speed. I did the comparison back and forth for hrs, all with the same result.

In conclusion, I think what I'll do is set up the 2100 CD with a 44" bar, while keeping the 36" bar on the 2094. Use the 2094 for slightly under two ft to right at three ft. I'll use the 2100 for anything larger than three ft. Unless I'm into three ft timber and larger, I'm leaving the 2100CD at home....there's a new guy in town...lol! Bet ya never thought you'd hear me say that.:surprised3:

If I get some time, I'll put a tach on them and report back.

(
And a shout out to Kensie for selling me the 2094!)

I do have pics:

Husqvarna 2100CD versus the Jonsered 2094

Husqvarna:

99cc
56mm Bore
40mm Stroke
Max RPM around 9,500-10,000 wo/Gov

Jonsered:
94cc
56mm Bore
38mm Stoke
Acres doesn't say but it's way over the Husky

I had a chance today to pit these two great saws against each other. Both with Oregon .404 68CJ .063 gauge skip-tooth chisel chain. Both 36" Oregon bars....same fuel mix, same bar oil. I don't pretend this was some scientific comparison, but who wants that anyway?

Wood is Maple, down since late spring and cuts range from over three ft diameter to just under two ft. I didn't know what to expect going into this and there were surprises!

The 2094 screams, quite frankly....even 4stroking nicely. That was a nice surprise.....this saw has guts! However, hookin' the dawgs into buckin'three ft diameter Maple and larger, it doesn't have the torque to severely lean into your saw. The 2100 by comparison with that size wood just seems happy to take anything that you can give it. Wished I could make vids.

Now here's where the comparison gets interesting though.............when you get under three ft cuts where you can see the tip of your bar, the 2094 pulls away from the 2100 in cut speed. I did the comparison back and forth for hrs, all with the same result.

In conclusion, I think what I'll do is set the 2100 CD with a 44" bar, while keeping the 36" bar on the 2094. Use the 2094 for slightly under two ft to right at three ft. I'll use the 2100 for anything larger than three ft. Unless I'm into three ft timber and larger, I'm leaving the 2100CD at home....there's a new guy in town...lol! Bet ya never thought you'd hear me say that.:surprised3:

If I get some time, I'll put a tach on them and report back.

(
And a shout out to Kensie for selling me the 2094!)

I do have pics:

In theory, that is what I would have guessed. I have run both these saws, but never side by side so it's nice to see a real world comparison. Nice job, much better than these guys who make three cuts with a brand new saw and give a full review of how great it is.

Next test will be the 111S against the 2100CD. I've been thinking about this one for a long time. In reality, I think the 111S is a rather dated design like a lot of late 60's early 70's saws and although it has boatloads of low-end torque, I've heard the terminal rpm is pretty low.

Kensie's recent video of one cutting down a Pecan tree is not impressive....not for all the money and hype that saw garners. His chain sounded too tight and that would affect the slow revving, but the terminal rpm sounded really slow to me.

The 111S is gonna have to perform for me or it regrettably, goes down the road. More to come on that.......

Kevin

Next test will be the 111S against the 2100CD. I've been thinking about this one for a long time. In reality, I think the 111S is a rather dated design like a lot of late 60's early 70's saws and although it has boatloads of low-end torque, I've heard the terminal rpm is pretty low.

Kensie's recent video of one cutting down a Pecan tree is not impressive....not for all the money and hype that saw garners. His chain sounded too tight and that would affect the slow revving, but the terminal rpm sounded really slow to me.

The 111S is gonna have to perform for me or it regrettably, goes down the road. More to come on that.......

Kevin
It's may have been a little tight, but wasn't super tight. Not nearly as tight as I used to run them. That chain just barely fit, my adjuster was almost maxed out, so I was lucky to even have anything that worked, and that was after filing on the bar to fit lol

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

No there was one that just ended. Didn't put it on my watch and forgot about it. Was at $200 with less than a day when I saw it. It ran. I was just curious how much it went for.

I was thinking/talking about the first one......didn't see the second but they both pretty ruff!!!

First one probably a decent price (these days) even if it’s a part saw. Second one.....obscene price for a really rough saw. No one got a ‘deal’ there.

Looks like the first one went under the radar......while the second buyer got stabbed in price.

What are you gonna do, it’s flea bay after all....lol.

Kevin

Back