Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90's are one of the bigger saws J'reds made. The collectors started at the top and worked their way down. I can remember when the 80's/90's sat pretty much stagnant on eBay. Then BOOM.

A lot would depend on the original amount of paint left, OE pieces and sometimes even provenance. Best to have all issues sorted completely because of the lack of parts.

I think your eBay range would be $300-$550 depending on condition for a working saw. Extremely low hrs, all original paint of course, would bring the most.

Away from eBay....somewhat less.......the reality is to figure what you've got into it and what you want out of it.

Kevin

90's are one of the bigger saws J'reds made. The collectors started at the top and worked their way down. I can remember when the 80's/90's sat pretty much stagnant on eBay. Then BOOM.

A lot would depend on the original amount of paint left, OE pieces and sometimes even provenance. Best to have all issues sorted completely because of the lack of parts.

I think your eBay range would be $300-$550 depending on condition for a working saw. Extremely low hrs, all original paint of course, would bring the most.

Away from eBay....somewhat less.......the reality is to figure what you've got into it and what you want out of it.

Kevin

I think you're right on the money (no pun intended).

Just a heads up on an 80 problem that I think may be solved. I've been in conversation with Tim on this for quite some time.

After a fair amount of use, the 80 would start to miss, die and eventually hard to start. I'd put a new plug in and it would work again for quite some time (days/weeks) and again, go through the same symptoms. I tried those 'bad' plugs in other saws and they were indeed, 'bad'. Those were NGK....so I found a batch of 70's NOS Bosch plugs for the saw and bought them. Same problem, with 'bad' plugs but took longer than the NGK's.

Took out the coil under the cover and was going to replace the HV lead. Seemed like it was unscrewing from the coil....it was NOT....solder joint way up in there and ruined the setup. Well, in my stash I found a NOS coil with HV lead.

Put all that in and had the same symptoms....BUT.....I remembered that the plug in the saw was left over from before I replaced the coil. Replaced with NOS plug and it's working fine again. Hopefully, this has put to bed my plug issue.

If this continues, I don't see any other avenue than to sub in a newer points plate w/condenser and maybe even another flywheel. I think it's no small thing to take out a spark plug and probably has to have some serious HV fault to do it.....which would point towards the coil setup.

41 yrs of personal use without a ignition hiccup until fairly recently....can't really complain....lol!

Kevin

OK....here's a puzzler....at least to me. This a very odd Jonsereds saw. Look closely at the pics.....first I've never seen a muffler like that....I don't mean the mods but the exhaust outlet itself, a round outlet but not the round outlet that would have had the spark arrestor screen...smaller and thin walled like the square outlets. Then there's the top handle.....gold or silver covering like a 621 and where it attaches to the AV mount over the clutch cover......no traditional pinch clamp just a screw. Next the trigger handle is black and doesn't look repainted nor does it fit correctly with the lower AV mount. The only black handles I remember were the ones form the Partner designed saws like the 5XX and 8-9XX series...in no way the same as the earlier ones. The main saw is a 70 or 66E I am assuming and though the handles can be hobgobbled from other Jreds the lack of pinch clamp looks stock. Eric you are the best historian in here you have any thoughts or perhaps an explanation?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JO...268812?hash=item5d9c3e054c:g:NrwAAOSwicteLgsK

OK....here's a puzzler....at least to me. This a very odd Jonsereds saw. Look closely at the pics.....first I've never seen a muffler like that....I don't mean the mods but the exhaust outlet itself, a round outlet but not the round outlet that would have had the spark arrestor screen...smaller and thin walled like the square outlets. Then there's the top handle.....gold or silver covering like a 621 and where it attaches to the AV mount over the clutch cover......no traditional pinch clamp just a screw. Next the trigger handle is black and doesn't look repainted nor does it fit correctly with the lower AV mount. The only black handles I remember were the ones form the Partner designed saws like the 5XX and 8-9XX series...in no way the same as the earlier ones. The main saw is a 70 or 66E I am assuming and though the handles can be hobgobbled from other Jreds the lack of pinch clamp looks stock. Eric you are the best historian in here you have any thoughts or perhaps an explanation?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JO...268812?hash=item5d9c3e054c:g:NrwAAOSwicteLgsK
The bit where the pinch bolt for the handle should be is broken off. Whatever did that probably wrecked the original top handle and they used a Jonsereds 80 handle to replace it. From the pictures, my view is that the exhaust outlet is the squared off one I would expect on a J. 621 or 70e but it has been massaged a little and has been rounded a wee bit - alongside a few extra vents being punched into the from of the exhaust too. What has been fitted for a top section of the rear handle didn't start life with that saw. I have no idea what it is off - as you note, you can mix and match the bottom parts of the handles but the top part is too long for 52E, 70E, 80 family of saws. Someone has just been trying to keep that one cutting….

It's obvious that someone had access to a J'reds bone yard and was "making" parts from others saws work/fit, in spite of the saw itself. If there ever was a Frankensaw......

And...I bet the person responsible for all that 'surgery' is proud of his efforts....if he's still alive.

Kevin

The rear handle is from a 451e. They are longer than the 49/70/80 etc, and factory black. It seems I have seen that muffler with the thin round outlet before, but I can't remember where. I'll have to take a look at my parts saws to see if I have one.

I was thinking 451e but was not at the shop to compare one..... interesting that it was the same width. Yeah I can’t remember seeing any mufflers like that one in my travels

I was thinking 451e but was not at the shop to compare one..... interesting that it was the same width. Yeah I can’t remember seeing any mufflers like that one in my travels
One of the pictures gives more-or-less a top down view of the muffler - the top is flat which makes me think someone has just rounded the stock 70e outlet.

One of the pictures gives more-or-less a top down view of the muffler - the top is flat which makes me think someone has just rounded the stock 70e outlet.

That could be......I'm looking at a 70E muffler here and it doesn't really protrude as far as that one and I don't think you could form it from square to round in that short a distance....it's only like 1/4" of material. Perhaps ....but that one is almost perfectly round....doesn't seem like the same person would have been able to accomplish that as did the muff mods

I took a look at my mufflers, but didn't find one with a round outlet like that 70e has. I was probably thinking of one with the removable spark arrestor, but they have a much larger opening when the insert is removed.

If someone happens to be restoring a jred 370. I came across what I think is that weird clammy NOS cylinder with base plate.

The last piston come back to P26. Only difference I see in it and other piston I think is P28 is one skirt on the 26 is narrower. The 3 cylinders came back to P29 and or P26. I dont know these saws at all.
The Partner 650 cylinder should bolt right up to P55 P65 650 700 7000. PP114 is a polesaw, Jred 370 cylinder, Poulan 2750 PP295 cylinder and piston. Only stuff I see for my uses is the is the Poulan 335 3450 P+c stuff.

So if some poulan, pioneer, partner folks need something for a restore. I dont do that ebay high price crap some do. I will practically give what I dont want away.

pnosp.jpg

This is probably my favorite Jonsereds. This 49sp was given to me by a lifelong family friend who past away this past summer. He grew up with my mother and I don't remember not knowing him. He bought this saw new from the dealer we had here in town. The family/friend saws that I own have become the most important to me. This is the only saw I own with the dealer decal from our local shop.

P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG

Back