Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised that any are available....Robin owns most of 'em.:D

Seriously though.....provenance of a saw means more to me these days than anything else. Otherwise, it's just a saw that strangers owned.......

Kevin

Robin has about a million of them. Luckily, Jonsereds made about 2 million of them..............

Hey wanna sell that Eric???!!! LOL....good story Eric. I don't have any Jonsereds with stickers from any of the local shops here. Don't think any of the dealers had shop stickers around here......to Yankee to spend on them!!

I think the only reason he had stickers is because his brother sold Partner about a 1/4 mile up the road. The Partners had no dealer decal. The general store sold Pioneer and had no decal either. It's funny, now you have to drive 45 minutes to buy ANY saw. We had an Aubachan Hardware 20 minutes away that started selling Stihl a couple of years ago, but they just closed.

I think most dealers didn’t use stickers. Occasionally I see them still on saws.

I think most owners left them on rather than take them off. Most survived or the lettering wore off.

We had two saw shops here. A few yrs ago one owner got sick and just shut the doors. The other is still going with Stihl.

The John Deere dealer here used to carry Husky, but I think not anymore. I’ve only been here twenty yrs, so I don’t know if we ever had Jonsered.

I think the only reason he had stickers is because his brother sold Partner about a 1/4 mile up the road. The Partners had no dealer decal. The general store sold Pioneer and had no decal either. It's funny, now you have to drive 45 minutes to buy ANY saw. We had an Aubachan Hardware 20 minutes away that started selling Stihl a couple of years ago, but they just closed.

Yeah back in the 70's we had six Jonsereds dealers within 20 min drive.....all busy.....then right around when they came out with the 5XX saws they all went away......sell a new saw and not be able to get enough parts to do warranty work soured the pro woodboogers in a hurry and sales suffered.....only one dealer way up in Amherst left around and I guess they be gone too now after the latest Jonsered brand failure....

I have an 80 with a disintegrated clutch. Do any of you Jonsereds experts know of any other models that use a compatible clutch? Nothing is showing up on eBay (or anywhere else) when I search. There are a bunch of 621 clutches, but they appear different. Think they’d work? Any solutions would be appreciated!

I have an 80 with a disintegrated clutch. Do any of you Jonsereds experts know of any other models that use a compatible clutch? Nothing is showing up on eBay (or anywhere else) when I search. There are a bunch of 621 clutches, but they appear different. Think they’d work? Any solutions would be appreciated!

If you just need the hub Chainsawr.com has one on hand.

Thanks for the replies. I need the whole assembly, unfortunately... It appears that 90/801 parts are about as rare as they are for the 80’s. I’m guessing that there are a bunch of em out there, but everyone wants to hold onto theirs and not part them out since they are such beastly saws.

It sure looks like the 49sp, 70e, 521 e, and 621 clutches would work, since they all fit on a keyed shaft (same size?) Those all have three shoes instead of four though- don’t know what difference that would make. I’ll probably just hold out until I see the original equipment pop up somewhere.

You need a final call by either Eric or Robin. I just know the models that I own....they know many more.

If we can establish a range of models with the same clutch assembly, I might be able to come up with a spare.

Kevin

OK, so you piqued my interest on this issue. I tore down my 621 to have a look see (have to do it anyway). The Jonsereds # on the drum is 522800. On my 80 it has an Oregon drum because I changed out over 35 yrs ago....don't remember the reason. Its # is 17344. While they look similar, they are not. The drum bearing on the 80 is considerably larger than the 621. As you would expect with a good company, they upscaled where they needed to with the bigger pro saws.

I think you can pretty much figure the larger cc Jonsereds are going to have different drums than their smaller kin. And the reason they also went to four shoes instead of three. I don't think you'll find a three shoe drum that will fit on the 80/90/801.

Now for some humor. This 621 was sold to me with "spark issues". After removing the flywheel I found this:
621 pic 1.jpg 621 pic 2.jpg

I'm guessing a millennial....who knows jack about a points system, decided he could rewind a coil......and there's electric tape under the points plate too. Fortunately for me, I'm poor with ignition parts......I'll just draft in a whole new complete plate and points assembly.

Kevin

You need a final call by either Eric or Robin. I just know the models that I own....they know many more.

If we can establish a range of models with the same clutch assembly, I might be able to come up with a spare.

Kevin

I won't much help as I'm in the Fla. Keys presently and don't have access to my IPLs or saws. I think you have to stay in the 80/81/801 and 90 family clutch wise but not totally certain....like you suggest.

There's been a survivor 80 on the local cl for $250 but the listing is spelled Jonserud 80. Not sure how many scroungers even see the ad.

aaaahhhh yaaaa.....

The 362XP got ultacrushed by the bobcat skidding out logs...That is what prompted dad to give me the 70E (he felt bad cuz he was driving)...I found AS looking for parts for the 362XP on the net. After some newbie questions on AS and a special thanks again to PES+ it was fixed in a week or two. So as I got immersed in the "chainsaw cult" (as my wife refers to it) I succesfully uncrushed the 362XP and the 70E!

apparently fixing dead saws is addicting...
It is an OCD for me. My current work includes a Shindaiwa PS231, two Tanaka limbing saws, 3 or 4 Echo limbing saws, a McCulloch Timber Wolf 610 and my trusty old Stihl MS200T.

Kevin
80/90/801 at least. Maybe even more because Jonsereds shared a great many parts across models.....which is a good thing for us. My guess is that the 621 clutch won't work.

Kevin

Back Home and did some research......is as we suspected....you have to stay in 80-90 family as far as the clutch goes.

Back Home and did some research......is as we suspected....you have to stay in 80-90 family as far as the clutch goes.

That was my conclusion after seeing the difference between the 621 drum/bearing and the 80 drum/bearing. Makes sense that they were beefing stuff up for the bigger pro saws.

Good to know.

Kevin

Well, the experts have spoken- much appreciated! I’ll just have to keep running my Homelite Super XL-925 on the big stuff until I can find the proper clutch.

I’m pretty sure the reason it broke in the first
place was due to that breather tube(?) that runs right behind the clutch loosening up and getting in the way. It’s filled with tiny metal
pins... Ya’ll might want to make sure yours are secure so your saws don’t meet the same fate.
image.jpg

Yeah, I don't think so. That's a sintered filter plug on the end of the vent. In over 40 yrs of use, I never had any trouble with that set up. My guess is that a shoe(s) or the drum itself got too thin and broke. You're suppose to check the thickness during the life of your saw. If you limb and rev a lot it's worse.

You're gonna have to replace the cross fitting piece too...you have at least one broken lip the shoes rides on. If you don't know when your crank seals were replaced, I'd do that too when you're in there.

Kevin

Back