Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is, you know your vintage cats. I used to collect vintage snowmobiles until it got to expensive and we lost the storage shed. Saws are a little cheaper and a lot easier to hide from the wife.

I used to hoard, I mean collect snowmachines too. I joke that I spent my youth pulling on the cord of a Cat and even rode one once.

I used to hoard, I mean collect snowmachines too. I joke that I spent my youth pulling on the cord of a Cat and even rode one once.
I remember 1 motoski with a big 1 lunger Hirth. Ran great as long as ya never shut it off. Ether was about as good as pissing on it. Lynx and Cheetah were much more reliable!

LOL....Sounds just like my youth with a McCulloch...….!!!!

I was just gonna say something snide about the MAC’s they had on the landings in the middle 70’s; pulled on them all day and one started....lol!

I saw them run those things flat out up in the Grand Mesa in the dead of winter when they could still do 100mph or better.

I figured that was a toy given my history of excess, I should probably avoid........

Kevin

Hey Scott,
If you have a cutting torch, just cut a dawg with a template you make from another one. I used to do that all the time with just regular mild steel; knock the slag off, do some hand grinding and voila.

I should offer you my 111S back that I bought from you for the same price. But I guess I'll replace the gas lines, rebuild the carb, check the points out, put new crank seals on and see what I've got.

Kevin

I've got a torch, a band saw, grinders, etc. But I'm thinking about grabbing one of my west coast dogs and going to get a few cut with a waterjet.

I'd love to have that 111S back, but I'm having a heck of a time thinning the herd here. I sold 3 or 4, but I still have 4 more on the shelf.

I was going to bring up the hydro cut option....but here at least, it's horribly expensive. The guy charges you $100 just to walk into his office. And when the dust settles, it's just a shop in a small town charging BIG prices. I'm not buying into that mentality. So......I just do it old school.:cheers:

I never thought in a million yrs you'd be poor someday with 111S'....funny how things turn out. I hope to have this one you sold me going soon and then decide what to do with it.

Mostly perseverance and diligence on your part for finding all those 111S'....give yourself some credit for that.:numberone:

Kevin

Well there's your problem you had Cats! My old Yamahas and Polaris always seemed to start, lol.

Just kidding I've had a couple vintage Cats too, they are fun. Currently have a '73 JD 600 and a '79 Polaris Centurion I'm building. I was up to around 10 or so vintage sleds at one point too. As said before saws are much more manageable. Pic is from a vintage ride a few weeks back. I'm on the Deere in front, behind me is my buddy on his Deere.Screenshot_20200302-102716_Chrome.jpg

Back to saws....after stupidly selling a nice running 70e I had last summer, I finally tracked another one down yesterday. Last one I had to put a 3d printed fan on. That saw ran tremendous and cut great, but I needed cash so I sold it.
The one I just purchased is complete and seems in decent shape. Bonus is that it's a later one with metal fan and newer ignition. Nice! Gonna try and get it up and running tonight.

Glad to have a Jred in the herd again....20200318_171421.jpg

Definitely a bonus not having the SEM's under the flywheel. And yeah, the plastic fans are now 3D printed by an AS member and I hear no complaints.

He's gets to use a very expensive machine from work to print the fans......if I remember the thread correctly.

Best of luck, hope she's a runner!

Kevin

Cool! I asked him to explain his machine process......because the cheaper machines just layer print weak plastic parts that don't hold up. And what a lot of people don't understand is that to print something the size of that flywheel fan, it take HOURS. So using a machine at work you don't pay into is a huge perk.

Kevin

Well went right through the 70e tonight. Was a bit of a mess to start.
20200319_195836.jpg
Flushed tank and it looked pretty good. Fuel line and filter looked good still. Pulled plug, great spark and on/off worked well. Then pulled recoil to wind it a turn to take slack out of rope. Plus the fan screen had all the rivets broken and was held on with wire. So drilled broken rivets and installed new. Everything looked good under recoil housing too.
20200319_214036.jpg20200319_214041.jpg
Put some fresh mix in tank and it took just 2 shots of mix down carb to start pulling fuel on its own and run. Sounds great and seems to run well. Unfortunately found it has a broken clutch drum, so I won't be able to try it out tomorrow.
20200319_230637.jpg

Got a good deal though, right?

I would, unless you know otherwise, replace both crank seals on saws of this vintage. So many of these good vintage saws are being burned up on the second tank full because they sat so long and the seals are leaking. Cheap insurance.

I did the same thing on my 80 screen some 40+ yrs ago....lol.

Kevin

Can seals be done without splitting case? Anyone got the numbers for the seals?
Yes they can in most J'reds. In the larger saws like the 80/801/90/111S it's a 30mmx15mmx6mm seal. But you can use the more common 30mmx15mmx7mm seal. I'm not sure on the smaller saws like the 70e.

I'm sure someone will answer soon.

Google search says
PART # 504146200

Kevin

Back