Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Could be a simple problem".....could win big @Vegas too.

"This is a $600-700 saw in working order".....in what universe is a 621 worth that??

Kevin

Yeah....when I see prices like this for old junk (basically parts saws) I always think back to the 621 I watched on ebay a few years ago. It was beautiful!! The guy had hand built it completely from NOS parts.....even the screws....had a brand new 20" total bar and Oregon chisel chain. Not a nick in the paint...even the silver on the top cover was in perfect condition. Looked for all the world that it had just left the factory. I was very interested in what kind of price it fetched so watched it very closely. I felt real bad for the guy in the end....the damn thing only sold for $206.00 plus $20.00 shipping..........I was expecting at least $500.00......it was truly a museum piece.....

Yeah....when I see prices like this for old junk (basically parts saws) I always think back to the 621 I watched on ebay a few years ago. It was beautiful!! The guy had hand built it completely from NOS parts.....even the screws....had a brand new 20" total bar and Oregon chisel chain. Not a nick in the paint...even the silver on the top cover was in perfect condition. Looked for all the world that it had just left the factory. I was very interested in what kind of price it fetched so watched it very closely. I felt real bad for the guy in the end....the damn thing only sold for $206.00 plus $20.00 shipping..........I was expecting at least $500.00......it was truly a museum piece.....

Scott did a similar thing I think with a 621. Used NOS parts to make it look supreme.....went all through the saw. Got a similar price. eBay is just hit & miss that way. Lots of posers and liars selling for more. Just doesn't make sense.

That saw you mentioned sounds like from Kevin in SK. He was building saws from NOS parts. Then he got mixed up with posers that were buying his saws cheap and flipping them high. He told me that the 'fun' of building/selling saws was just over for him.

Kevin

Scott did a similar thing I think with a 621. Used NOS parts to make it look supreme.....went all through the saw. Got a similar price. eBay is just hit & miss that way. Lots of posers and liars selling for more. Just doesn't make sense.

That saw you mentioned sounds like from Kevin in SK. He was building saws from NOS parts. Then he got mixed up with posers that were buying his saws cheap and flipping them high. He told me that the 'fun' of building/selling saws was just over for him.

Kevin
Might have been.....I don't remember the seller just the saw. It would be irritating to build a nice saw and have to let it go cheap at auction and have the next guy make all the money on it for doing nothing but marketing it better....guess that's where a reserve price comes into play, then you get at least what you consider your rock bottom price for the item or you keep it to try again.

Yeah, you can also pull the saw from auction if the prices are spooky low. I did that recently on an electronic audio unit that wasn't being bid past my $35 starting price. I think eBay charges you for a reserve price. I don't sell much of anything.

Everybody would like to be in the cat bird's seat watching their item being bid way past their expectation....but sometimes it all falls flat.

Kevin

MAC??? Partner P100. Look at the handle, that's a Partner handle if I ever saw one. Again, we have a rare saw where the seller says he has the parts that are missing. For that money WHY doesn't he put the parts back ON the saw??

Kevin

As far as I know they were Partner designed and marketed as the Partner P100, the 1000 Mac and the 1020 Jonsereds. in the proper colors of course.
Eric likely has more info than me on this item. As an aside there is a P100 just down the street that I need to go get...one owner saw and a home owner at that so in great shape.....needless to say the price is way less than this one!!!!

As far as I know they were Partner designed and marketed as the Partner P100, the 1000 Mac and the 1020 Jonsereds. in the proper colors of course.
Eric likely has more info than me on this item. As an aside there is a P100 just down the street that I need to go get...one owner saw and a home owner at that so in great shape.....needless to say the price is way less than this one!!!!

Yeah, I forgot they were made for MAC as well. But they are all the same Partner saw with different paint schemes. Kind of a bloated design, if you ask me. Not something I would ever chase after unless the price was right.

In the heavyweight world of 100cc class saws, the Partner P100 was nothing extraordinary in actual use. Certainly not the saw the Husky 2100/2101 was.

Kevin

You pretty much got it. The only thing I would add is by the time they were sharing the design the Partner version was the P100 Super.

WOW again!!! This guy is flailing!!! When I first posted his add he wanted $1125.00 OBO then he went to $850..00 OBO and now he's changed his add again and he want $700.00 OBO and the ad will only be up today and tomorrow!!
Th' boy ain't very patient is he???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsereds-1020-Chainsaw/274413723064?hash=item3fe4551db8:g:aVkAAOSwK31e-wvO

Getting further into the 70E. Lots of carbon on the piston and the combustion chamber. Bore looks good though, debating on splitting the case or not. I imagine these are similar to the stihls of the same era in that it takes a tool or fixture to split the case? If so I’m pretty sure the one I made for my 075 that mounts to the bar studs will work.

6C5A1F3E-CDC3-4D8C-83B9-C0F3E6C787E7.jpeg1FBA4679-50EA-42C5-A0D1-F73B0074E23E.jpegAB6BBC51-0869-4411-B1AD-FBDFCD5F1B1D.jpeg
9C0AB1C1-9EA4-42CC-89E8-F1A31539EDBE.jpeg

Getting further into the 70E. Lots of carbon on the piston and the combustion chamber. Bore looks good though, debating on splitting the case or not. I imagine these are similar to the stihls of the same era in that it takes a tool or fixture to split the case? If so I’m pretty sure the one I made for my 075 that mounts to the bar studs will work.

View attachment 839783View attachment 839784View attachment 839785
View attachment 839786
I would very carefully check for any up and down play on either end of the crankshaft......if none discovered I would pop the seals and wash the bearings out with mix and an acid brush, rotating the crank and flushing frequently. Keep at it until the flush mix is clean....then check the bearing play again.....main bearings should be tight and the crank spin smoothly. If so so I wouldn't split the cases. The Husky tool works great on the larger saws as it leaves the bearings in the case half which can can then be easily tapped out. Other methods work but if the bearing comes out with the crank it's somewhat of a pain to get them off the crankshaft later. Not undoable but a few more steps with a bearing separator and a bar type puller...the PTO side can be a bit more difficult as you also have to pull the oil pump drive gear from the crank.

My puller will be here today!!! Thanks in advance!!

I agree with Robin....up & down movement of the con rod while the crank is secured and up & down play of the crank ends is what you look for.....if neither, wash out those bearings and go with new seals.

That saw doesn't look like it's had enough hrs on it to show wear with the crank/bearings. Jonsered(s) cranks and bearings were top flight tuff stuff back in the day. :cheers:I wouldn't hesitate to keep going with what ya got if there's no play.

Looks like a lot of coke & carbon....too much oil in the mix. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.......I get real tired of these 16:1 guys using modern, ported saws.:omg:
Or maybe he just ran it hella fat.....I dunno.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back