Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO......a 49sp and a 621 are two of the most enjoyable saws I know of to run. Not high power either one but smooth and pretty quiet...decent AV...plenty of grunt if you just let them do their job and don't over try to load them. When cutting to their max you always have the feeling that you have a quality made tool in your hands....
The air filter doesn't look very efficient. Would it be useful to add a layer of felt?

Looks like the decomp has been plugged.....you're gonna want that working most probably.....lol.

As far as those velocity stack filters...they were all the rage once but they don't offer the gains everyone thought they would.

Depending on the foam micron opening, those foam filters usually have a companion oil you're supposed to soak them with.

Or were you talkin' about that copper screen filter in the 621? If so, yes, throw that in the trash and buy the flocked nylon filter with its companion round cover.

Kevin

Filter on my 49sp

Yeah they are pretty wimpy....but same is true with what Kevin said ......there are flocked versions of the 49/52 filter as well. I have several saws with the flocked ones but I've found the stock ones work fairly well if you clean them daily and I give them a squirt wd-40 which helps dust to stick to the screen. The nylon screen filter of the 49/52 is a way finer filter than the copper/brass screen filters on the 80 and 621.

Robin and I have talked about this before in here. The older Mahle cylinder plating is akin to diamonds. Over the long yrs they can digest a lot of sawdust without ill effects.....witness my hard working 80 of 40+yrs!

You're more likely to plug the inside of your crank bearings with dust crude than to do damage to your cylinder plating from sawdust.

Kevin

BUT....if you piston is filthy with coke because you've been running too much oil in your mix over the yrs.....and some of that coke should flake off the piston and try to go down the cylinder walls, then you'll trash the plating....maybe....lol.

Sooooo.....the smart thing to do would be to bore scope that old saw you just bought(especially if the guy is braggin' he used 16 or 32:1 oil mix) and/or take the jug off and clean up everything.

Kevin

Went out today to help a friend harvest some wind blown firewood. Only took the 49SP as it has been running so well. Recoil spring broke before it started and my day was done as I only took one saw. Best place to find a new recoil spring?
I guess I could put a bar and chain on my 90

Went out today to help a friend harvest some wind blown firewood. Only took the 49SP as it has been running so well. Recoil spring broke before it started and my day was done as I only took one saw. Best place to find a new recoil spring?
That's a bummer......ebay is your best bet.

I'd say chainsawr and sawagain, but they've become 'out houses' in the last yr or so....collectors did that. Try them though.

Kevin

Whoa!! Pre-Christmas, fall....the usual good premise for top dollar. I don't know what to say.......

Kevin

Looking at it from the collectors perspective, it's missing a lot of original pieces. Decomp, air filter, intake, and filter cover. Those parts will be hard to find and pricey when you do. Plus, for me, that saw would have been $600 with shipping and tax.

Looking at it from the collectors perspective, it's missing a lot of original pieces. Decomp, air filter, intake, and filter cover. Those parts will be hard to find and pricey when you do. Plus, for me, that saw would have been $600 with shipping and tax.
Even so, these saws with broken or missing pieces have gone much higher in the fairly recent past......like $700 before shipping.

I guess the litmus test will be to see a complete, running saw go though for what has been $900+.

Kevin

Even so, these saws with broken or missing pieces have gone much higher in the fairly recent past......like $700 before shipping.

I guess the litmus test will be to see a complete, running saw go though for what has been $900+.

Kevin

That's the beauty of an auction. The winning bidder may have been willing to pay $1000 for it, but the next guy was only willing to go $450. I think the $100 shipping turned a lot of bidders off from the get go. It's hard saying not knowing, but If he had charged $49 for shipping and even had to eat a little of it, the bid may have been higher. Who knows? Like Tim said, money is tight. I've been lucky with the saws I have been selling, but I don't take the chance with auctions anymore. Of the last 20 auction I did, only 5 people paid. And those 5 got good deals. I don't know who is worse, the drunk bidders on ebay or the drunk craigslist lurkers.

That's the beauty of an auction. The winning bidder may have been willing to pay $1000 for it, but the next guy was only willing to go $450. I think the $100 shipping turned a lot of bidders off from the get go. It's hard saying not knowing, but If he had charged $49 for shipping and even had to eat a little of it, the bid may have been higher. Who knows? Like Tim said, money is tight. I've been lucky with the saws I have been selling, but I don't take the chance with auctions anymore. Of the last 20 auction I did, only 5 people paid. And those 5 got good deals. I don't know who is worse, the drunk bidders on ebay or the drunk craigslist lurkers.
Well sure, you never know how high the winner might have bid. I agree....$100 shipping sounds like a guy not willing to give up anything. Now he eats some crow on a saw that has generally brought more in recent yrs. Auctions are fickle that way.....like the weather. But then again, he could have also given up a little bit for a healthy reserve and protected himself.

Craigslist can draw the worst of humanity.....even outright scammers. It's 'free' premise is just doomed that way. You can't have 'free' anymore on a honor system.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back