Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey cantdog I was wondering what you thought of my young lad's first project with the 520 so and the 2172 I just acquired? I thought any saw was a good first, especially at 8 years old. I am 36 and just started tearing into into them a year and a half ago.

It looks like the 2172 is in great shape and should give you lots of service yet. I have never used a 2172 but have used the 2071 and 2171 which are very similar and thought them to be excellent saws.
Congrats on your youngster's first saw project. Glad it cooperated for you guys. Must say when I first saw your post about it.... I cringed. My disdain for the 5XX series is pretty well known. (Except the 590) They were the most embarrassing series that ever wore the Jonsereds name IMHO. The last feeble gasp of a sinking ship as it were.
That said , again congrats to the boy....and you for helping him understand how things work. That is something seriously lacking in most youngsters these days.

Moving further discussion of my find from the You Suck Thread over to here, where it belongs.

The possibility that I may have picked up a fire fighting 630 model is pretty cool, though I don't know if there's any way one could know for sure since almost all of the stickers are gone. All I have to go by is the model and serial tag.
Still, I decided to take a moment before it got dark outside to remove a few things in order to get a better look at what I got here.
The pistons looking pretty good. Assuming the bare minimum this thing needs is a good cleaning and a new air filter, would this be a good firewood saw to keep around? Jonsereds are brand new territory for me, so I have no idea what's considered good in their respective CC range.
Speaking of the filter, can you still even find them? Are there any generic options out there that happen to fit or can be adapted?
630-tag.jpg
630-7.jpg
630-5.jpg
630-6.jpg

Very hard to know exactly what you have there overall. The cases and crankshaft are later production made in 1989, the 34th week and that one is the 30th unit built that week. This is before the major case change to the single ign model (630 Super II) which is what that particular carb is from. But because this saw shares many parts with various Jred and Husqvarna the P&C could be most anything. You will have to measure the bore to tell more. 48mm will make it a 630, 50mm could make it a Husky 266, 268XP, or regular 268, 52mm will make it a Husqvarna 272XP. On the off chance that the P&C got changed along with the carb from a 630 Super II you would have a real good saw. This 630 cyl can be identified by a "D" shaper combustion chamber rather than the regular round combustion chamber.
K&N makes filters that will fit that stack. If you do not have the engine cover and airbox cover make sure you get the early style engine cover as the late ones won't allow the front left bolt hole to line up.
Though this is a pic of the 61/268XP conversion in my sig it has the exact same carb and stack as yours.

Nick's 359 and new XPs 017.JPGNick's 359 and new XPs 018.JPG

I was thinking I should have mentioned the different top covers on my way home from work this morning. By the way cantdog that is a very nice looking 61 you have there. I have a 1988 I believe without the stack.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_191106690.jpg
    IMG_20201101_191106690.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201101_191055840.jpg
    IMG_20201101_191055840.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Hi guys,this is my first time posting on this sticky.I started out with a J'red 361 back in '82 & still have that saw & it still runs! I picked up a few more of 'em back in 2015.Today I bought 4 more J'reds - 2 49Sp,a 70,& a mystery saw.The mystery saw was supposed to be another 49SP,but it's different than the other 2 I have.One of the 49SP saws came from a feller out toward Chicago (Johnny Blade),I bought the other one locally.The 70 was the first saw I got running today,didn't really take much other than clean it a bit,put fuel in & pull it over.It runs great & oils good too.
The 2nd saw I got running was the 49SP from out toward Chicago.A little disappointed there as it needs crank seals.The 3rd saw I got running was the mystery saw.It's missing the part that attaches to the rear of the carb,U shaped bowl.It's also missing the air filter & the part where the air filter sits in the air box,& missing the air filter cover.I couldn't get the other 49SP running as it had no spark.I'll get some pics posted here so you all can identify the models.

Whatever spring you use, you'd be smart to change all 3. Original 930 clutch has a single spring, looped around with the ends connected.
I seem to recall on either 281's or 2100's installing a 395 clutch was an easy upgrade, I'm kinda suspecting someone did something similar on this saw. A 930 was the precursor to the 2094, correct?

Wha

Whatever spring you use, you'd be smart to change all 3. Original 930 clutch has a single spring, looped around with the ends connected.
I thought the 3 spring clutch was original to the 930's ...I do have a few other clutches with the single wrap spring.
Thanks for the reply !
Ernie

Got a start yesterday on cleaning things up. It looks much more respectable without a layer of black grunge covering it.
After getting the intake/carb cleaned out of dirt and debris, I squirted a prime down there and sure enough, the saw fires off and runs. The automatic oil is still working well too. Guess I should go ahead and get a new filter/lines/carb kit for this? Seems like it'll be a good runner.

A few things that I noticed:
Next to the model tag, someone scratched in what I read as "MILCO 0172"
Cylinder is marked B with a Y161
I'm still getting the feeling that this was a homemade conversion. Take a look at the carburetor/spark plug cover. The hole is off-center, uneven, and you can still see a leftover "d" from Jonsered. Just seems really rough for factory work.
630-8.jpg
630-milco.jpg
630-cylinder.jpg
630-cover.jpg

Got a start yesterday on cleaning things up. It looks much more respectable without a layer of black grunge covering it.
After getting the intake/carb cleaned out of dirt and debris, I squirted a prime down there and sure enough, the saw fires off and runs. The automatic oil is still working well too. Guess I should go ahead and get a new filter/lines/carb kit for this? Seems like it'll be a good runner.

A few things that I noticed:
Next to the model tag, someone scratched in what I read as "MILCO 0172"
Cylinder is marked B with a Y161
I'm still getting the feeling that this was a homemade conversion. Take a look at the carburetor/spark plug cover. The hole is off-center, uneven, and you can still see a leftover "d" from Jonsered. Just seems really rough for factory work.
View attachment 922044
View attachment 922047
View attachment 922046
View attachment 922045
This is just my two bits, but I'd put the stack back on it and run it like you found it (with a filter, of course). The markings on the cylinder are factory, and as for the off-center hole I'd bet you will find it's damn near centered over the intake hole. If you decide you don't want it or want to de-convert it please pm me, I'd be interested in the dual port muffler and intake stack.

I pulled the flywheel off the 49SP today (along with the coil).Jonsered has a unique set up for points I'll have to admit.I'm just wondering where the condenser is?At 6 o'clock?I don't have any pics of the 49SP,but I do have pics of the 70 (not 70E),& the mystery saw.I'd like if any of you guys could tell me what model the mystery saw is.First 3 pics are of the 70.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg