Jonsered CS2252 idle, winter operation and temperature

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas Kvinge

Reaction score
I got a jonsered cs2252, it does not idle very well before it has run for about 30 minutes, I have to constantly press the gas, it has been like this since is was new, and they replaced the carburetor, but it's still the same. I think it has to do with temperature, but I'm not sure as I have not been able to test it with much higher temperatures. I know there is a winter operation kit, but the manual says to use it when it's colder than zero °C. Right now the temperature is around 1-2 °C. In the wall behind the carburetor there is supposed to be a plug that you can take out, but mine is just plastic, and the plug came in the kit in a bag with the blue cover. Do i have to cut the wall out behind the carb? I'm surprised I cant find much about this on the net.

Hey, welcome to the forum.

The blue winterkit is meant to be placed over the recoil cover, restricting the cold air that is sucked in. Note: It should never be used when it's warm, there's a chance that it may fry the piston and cylinder.

Infact I never use the winter kit on any of my saws.

Out of the box strato saws with autotune/carbcontrol has a tendency to die when idling until they are run in properly. It will take between 10-15 tanks of fuel for that to happen. It is also important to follow the starting procedure described in the manual. You should always use the high idle function when you are warm starting the saw. It is also a good idea to let the saw run at high idle for atleast 30 sec after starting the saw to let autotune adjust. To reset autotune: Let the saw idle for a couple of minutes before running it hard in a log for 5-10 min.

With high idle function, do you mean how it operates after it starts before you press the gas (with the chain running)?

I've read the manual pretty careful before using the saw, but I never really understood the difference between cold start and warm start. When it's warm, I usually just start it without the choke, and it does not have issues when it's warm.
I don't have the manual in English, it's in Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and Finnish, and I think some things in it are explained very poorly.

I've never used a winter kit on any saw before.
I'm not talking about the cover, but the little plug that is supposed to be on the wall behind the carb, and your supposed to remove it for temperatures below zero.
I won't mount the winter kit now then, but in case I need to use it when it's really cold, Could you explain how to mount it?

With high idle function, do you mean how it operates after it starts before you press the gas (with the chain running)?
Yes.

I've read the manual pretty careful before using the saw, but I never really understood the difference between cold start and warm start. When it's warm, I usually just start it without the choke, and it does not have issues when it's warm.

That's ok, the main thing is that the saw starts easy.

Here is a summary of the starting procedure just incase.

Cold: 1. Engage the chocke, 2. push the primer/purge bubble 5-6 times, 3. push in the decomp button, 4. pull until the saw fires, 5. push down on the chocke/start button to engage the high idle function, 6. push the decomp button and start the saw and let it run for atleast 30 sec before using it.

Warm starting the saw: 1. Engage the chocke and push down to activate the high idle function, 2. push the decomp button, 3. start the saw.

The winter kit usually just clips onto the recoil cover and some are held in place with a couple of screws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_qNhPboLI

I've tested some more with the saw.
Right now it started fine, I used the choke once and it fired right up, took the choke immediately down.
Then I placed it on the ground without touching the gas. It ran for maybe 1 minute in high idle before it died.
Then it's impossible to start. I've only tried first without choke, then I tried to take the choke up then down and start, it's dead.
Is this normal?
This is the way it's been acting since it's new, it's impossible to use it without constantly holding the gas down, and that's sometimes dangerous too.
For it to run properly idle I have to wait for like 30 minutes till it's hot.
Maybe I will take it to a different dealer that can tell me what's wrong here.

Hi Jonas
My Jonsered CS2252 has exactly the same issue as yours with poor/no idling and once it dies it is impossible to start until it is cold again. Did you find out what was wrong?
Cheers Jon

When run in very cold weather a saw carb can freeze after a while causing the motor to starve for fuel. This was a common problem in the north,and a winter kit would usually fix the problem. But I'm not sure your operating conditions are cold enough to cause that,and it won't happen at startup,sounds like there is maybe a lean low speed mixture problem...

Yup, mine has the same issue since new, they even changed out the carb once and no change....i run 40/1 amsoil dominator to 91 real gas (non ethanol) only.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It sounds to me like a lean low speed fault with those carbs. Having worked for dealers for decades factory faults aren't uncommon and sometimes they are not resolved.
If you wish,send me the carb and I will modify the low-speed circuit for you for free,I have the special tools and experience modifying carb circuits. When I return the carb I will describe the mod so you can pass it on here to others. PM me if you want to...
One question,can you not richen the low speed screw to cure it,I'm guessing it doesn't help?

Latest posts

Back