Jonsereds 110/111/111S Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All -

When doing some research on the Jonny 110/111 saws, it seems that the info is spread around all over the place. I'd like to start a thread to try to flesh out what we know already and consolidate the data in one thread. This thread is cross-posted in a few different places in hopes of reaching all folks who may have info.

First, starting with the 110, I believe production started in 1972. It's a 110cc saw, listed at 20.25 lbs, powerhead only. The 110's are quite rare, and all had a one piece top cover.

I have one, maybe two 110's in my collection, but only one has a serial number. The other does not have a serial number, and it could be a 111.

This is my 110, serial number 701058. It's the 110 listed on Magnus's site that has a serial number -

I'm fairly sure the 110 was a one-year only saw. It was followed by the 111, likely in 1973. I believe the 111 was also a one year only saw, but perhaps it was manufactured for 2 years. I'm not sure of the differences in the 110 and early 111. However, I believe the late 111 saws came with a two piece top cover.

111 with one-piece cover -

111 with two-piece cover -

The 111S is the most common variant. I believe production started in 1974 and went until 1980. This is another one of mine - serial number 717131 - the only one I picked up in Europe. This is also the latest serial number listed on Magnus's site.

Please post if you have saws, info, details, etc.

Scott

Some difficult to find parts on the 110/111 saws -

Fuel tanks - prone to springing a leak.

Oil reservoir cap - very uncommon 2.0 x 1.75 thread. I haven't found a good option/substitute here. I need a few of these; not sure if it's worth trying to have them reproduced.

Mufflers - not many used ones available, especially not good ones.

Air filter covers - 111S - there's a shortage of these. I've been looking for one for months. Again, not sure if it's worth having these reproduced.

Pistons - no reproductions available, but some have theorized that a Dolmar 166 piston will work. I have both at home; I need to compare them. Uncle Lee @leeha may have some very nice new 166 pistons left.

A few other data points on these saws -

I have seen two different variations of the felling dogs/spikes. One is quite long -- perhaps for west coast saws?

I don't have any pictures handy of the other dogs.

And there are at least two different types of full wrap handles - I believe the early one had the hanging leg terminating fairly high up.

And the later one had a hanging leg that terminated lower and with a curve. Perhaps it was less likely to get caught on stuff?

Here's a question - does anyone know if Jonsereds supplied the full wraps? Or were these added to saws after they were manufactured and shipped?

Great stuff, Scott! As you know, I’ve long proposed the full-wrap saws that came to the PNW were done by US contractors. The Husky 2100 even has US thread bolts in their full-wraps.

J’reds with full-wraps on saws other than the 110/111/111S had either steel or aluminum full-wraps.....different diameters too. There was also an AV mount that took the full-wrap clear to saw on the clutch side. This I never see on the 110/111/111S saws. On the 80/90 there is an actual ‘apex’, for lack of a better term, that snugs up against the rare AV.

What we need is someone who worked @Tilton back in the day and sold the bigger saws to loggers.....like the Tilton in Portland, OR.

Kevin

Nice info Scott. I have a couple unanswered questions that you may or may not know. I see and have had some
111S saws with and with out the 4 holes in the air filter covers for what reason I don't know except to add more
air to the motor for more power. But why some and not others. Also there are two different handle bar mounts
on the right side, One where the handle is long and one short where the adaptor is long. I know the adaptor where
it mounts to the fuel tank is there weak point as I have had a few with cracked tanks.

Good thread:clap:. I don't collect saws anymore but I really liked those old Jonsereds. Never had a 111 but lusted after one when I seen one .

Nice info Scott. I have a couple unanswered questions that you may or may not know. I see and have had some
111S saws with and with out the 4 holes in the air filter covers for what reason I don't know except to add more
air to the motor for more power. But why some and not others. Also there are two different handle bar mounts
on the right side, One where the handle is long and one short where the adaptor is long. I know the adaptor where
it mounts to the fuel tank is there weak point as I have had a few with cracked tanks.

Lee -

On the holes in the air filter cover, I'm guessing this was something added later in the 111S production -- the only IPL I have is from 1983 and it shows the holes in the lid. Also, the newest 111S that I have has the holes. Having said that, not all of my saws have serial numbers, and there's no guarantee that the air filter covers are original, so this is a bit of a SWAG (stupid wild-assed guess).

Good point in the adaptor for the full wrap saws. I need to do a bit more investigating here.

Thanks

Scott

Scotts's one pic of the dawgs on the 111S (Post #3 above the snow pic)...they are most likely custom and/or upside down. For those of us that bucked more than felled, dawgs were configured like this:

This dawg is custom and I made it patterned after the Husky 2100 factory dawgs. Personally, I liked big dawgs for felling and bucking.....probably because I got used to it. I have the same dawg on my work 90. Unfortunately, I never saw a way to put a dawg on the clutch cover, so that you could have a pair. I suppose anything is possible with enough time. 0408130936.jpg

Kevin

Here's the 2100 with two factory dawgs and the dawg I made the pattern from for my Jonsereds. I bought some decent lookin' dawgs off eBay for older Jonsereds, but never put them on. I also took a pattern in and had a machine shop make a few for me. Not sure why now I have both....lol.

NCM_20140322_082013.JPG

Kevin

Lee -

On the holes in the air filter cover, I'm guessing this was something added later in the 111S production -- the only IPL I have is from 1983 and it shows the holes in the lid. Also, the newest 111S that I have has the holes. Having said that, not all of my saws have serial numbers, and there's no guarantee that the air filter covers are original, so this is a bit of a SWAG (stupid wild-assed guess).

Good point in the adaptor for the full wrap saws. I need to do a bit more investigating here.

Thanks

Scott

My guess is that the holes were a way to swirl sawdust and chips around and out of the airbox. The 2100 has a chip screen to catch the larger stuff. The Swedes were usually uncanny about getting air into the airboxes.

Kevin

Scotts's one pic of the dawgs on the 111S (Post #3 above the snow pic)...they are most likely custom and/or upside down. For those of us that bucked more than felled, dawgs were configured like this:

This dawg is custom and I made it patterned after the Husky 2100 factory dawgs. Personally, I liked big dawgs for felling and bucking.....probably because I got used to it. I have the same dawg on my work 90. Unfortunately, I never saw a way to put a dawg on the clutch cover, so that you could have a pair. I suppose anything is possible with enough time.

Kevin

Kevin -

These are upside down but they fit either way. I don't think they're custom, because 3 or 4 of my 111's have the same ones.

Your custom dogs look pretty darn good.

Scott

Kevin -

These are upside down but they fit either way. I don't think they're custom, because 3 or 4 of my 111's have the same ones.

Your custom dogs look pretty darn good.

Scott

I thought they might be. Sometimes the holes are the same and someone does that. If all those dawgs are the same, we can safely assume they were fitted to the 110/111/111S series saws.

Kevin

All -

When doing some research on the Jonny 110/111 saws, it seems that the info is spread around all over the place. I'd like to start a thread to try to flesh out what we know already and consolidate the data in one thread. This thread is cross-posted in a few different places in hopes of reaching all folks who may have info.

First, starting with the 110, I believe production started in 1972. It's a 110cc saw, listed at 20.25 lbs, powerhead only. The 110's are quite rare, and all had a one piece top cover.

I have one, maybe two 110's in my collection, but only one has a serial number. The other does not have a serial number, and it could be a 111.

This is my 110, serial number 701058. It's the 110 listed on Magnus's site that has a serial number -

I'm fairly sure the 110 was a one-year only saw. It was followed by the 111, likely in 1973. I believe the 111 was also a one year only saw, but perhaps it was manufactured for 2 years. I'm not sure of the differences in the 110 and early 111. However, I believe the late 111 saws came with a two piece top cover.

111 with one-piece cover -

111 with two-piece cover -

The 111S is the most common variant. I believe production started in 1974 and went until 1980. This is another one of mine - serial number 717131 - the only one I picked up in Europe. This is also the latest serial number listed on Magnus's site.

Please post if you have saws, info, details, etc.

Scott

I found these clutches with this P/C. Think they might fit a 111?

Having trouble with this site, will continue attempting download. Site has been really weird lately.

Latest posts

Back