Jonsereds 49SP - Doing strange things after rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GramCracka

Reaction score
Have a Jonsereds 49SP. Rebuilt the last couple months. Ignition coil to flywheel gapped to .010, spark plug gapped to .020, and replaced the points ignition to the ignition module chip with 2 terminals. So one terminal from chip is grounded to case. And the one terminal is running to a wire nut. Which then from the nut, has one wire running to the ignition module terminal and one running to the kill switch terminal. The spark is a nice bright blue.

However, at times I get spark in both the on and off position. And sometimes just with switch in the on position. Why would this be? The saw will run. And at 160psi compression. I have the carb tuned on the bench so it will run. But when I go to tune in the wood and put under load, it will only run a couple minutes before cutting out on me. Check to see if there is spark. And nothing. Wait a couple hours (or until the next day) and check spark again. Now theres spark. Sometimes in both on/off position, sometimes just ON position.

Is this a bad coil? I have tried 2 coils and 2 different kill switches. Couple new sparks plugs. I've made sure all wired connections are secure and not vibrating loose and rerouted several times. Nothing is touching anything to be grounded out. Is this a faulty electronic ignition chip? I'm just perplexed as to what's going on. New to this site. And rebuilding saws the last couple years. Any help is appreciated.

Chased that same gremlin earlier this winter with my 49sp and discovered the wire to the switch was broken inside the insulation where I had pinched it years ago when servicing the saw. Spliced in some new wire and all was well.
Dallas

Back