JRed 2159 ignition issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2159C that is approx. 7 years old. It has always run perfect; until last sunday. I was cutting for approx. 2 minutes and the engine stalled (from an idle). I restarted the saw and it acted it wasn't firing on every revolution. It will start, but it sounds really "dead" and will not rev up. If I try to keep it running, it will stop abruptly and pop thru the carb. I replaced the plug & verified the spark. The spark looks consistant at "rope pulling speed". Now here's the kicker, sometimes it will idle & rev-up with no problem. I also disconnected the blue kill wire from the coil, with no results.
Are there any known problems with these saws?

Hi there,

It sounds like to me that the plug wire has worn through in a spot and is grounding intermittently on the flywheel or body of the saw. It could also be the coil is leaking spark. I've seen the spark leak on cars and trucks before and is hard to catch. Inspect the plug wire and coil for worn spots or where there has gen spark leaking on the coil. I'll bet you'll find one

A $25 coil from FleaBay cured it! Now comes the test of how long it will last, but for about 1/3 the price of an OEM coil, I'll give it a try.

Back