jumbo cylinder for splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought of useing a 6" x42" cylinder to make a double acting splitter two rounds one on each side 4way wedges at both ends of the beam and then stroke one way while loading the other end up. THey just trashed a cylinder for leaky seals in this spec at work and was wondering if a trip into the dumpster was in order?

I thought about it when I built mine but i needed it fast and built a regular one instead. I thought about mounting two I beams side by side with the cylinder inbetween and the splitter sticking up throuhgt a gap in the beams, two big plates at the begining and end of the stroke???? I didn't have time to mess around so I kept is simply, but I bet you could do it. Grandpatractor your skid steer splitter came out awesome by the way :clap:

Anyone ever thought of useing a 6" x42" cylinder to make a double acting splitter two rounds one on each side 4way wedges at both ends of the beam and then stroke one way while loading the other end up. THey just trashed a cylinder for leaky seals in this spec at work and was wondering if a trip into the dumpster was in order?

a free cylinder that size and you're hesitating?

I thought about mounting two I beams side by side with the cylinder inbetween and the splitter sticking up throuhgt a gap in the beams, two big plates at the begining and end of the stroke????

Very interesting. :monkey: Starting to sound like fun:hmm3grin2orange:

I have one about that size off a compactor and it works well with a 10 horse motor and two stage pump. With a four way blade it will split anything I can pick up to split: oak, maple, anything around here.

It twisted the 12 inch I-beam so easy we had to brace both sides of the beam for 5'

go for it

The only downside is slower cycle times with a small motor and pump

math says it would be 4/9 as fast as a 4 inch to push out, and something even slower to come back.

so, instead of a 15 second cycle time for a 4 incher to go out and back, you are probably 36 seconds to go out and back.

If you need seals for it, just send the old ones to us. We can match them us, usually pretty cheap. Our info is at CylinderServices.net

math says it would be 4/9 as fast as a 4 inch to push out, and something even slower to come back.

so, instead of a 15 second cycle time for a 4 incher to go out and back, you are probably 36 seconds to go out and back.

Yeah, the drawback to using big cylinders. What you gain in "oomph" is lost in "time". IMO anything over a 4 or 4 1/2" is just gilding the lily as the 4" - 4 1/2" will split almost anything one is likely to run into.

Harry K

Back