ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Jury duty

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by 1Alpha1, Jan 8, 2019.

1. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.

No!

If I made an arrest, the charge(s) stuck. For me, an arrest was a last resort. If I had to make an arrest, I had no doubt what-so-ever, I had all my bases covered. Each & every frigging time.

I did my part! It was the DA's office that made the final call. I had no control over that.

Husky Man and bowtechmadman like this.
  2. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

I am truly sorry for you but you really did make an absolute fool of yourself. Jury duty is a civic duty. Anyone, claiming they are going game the system needs some help. Might be time to get some.

3. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Having sat on 2 juries, it is somewhat scary and sobering to observe how someone's fate might be decided. I want competent people deliberating, not just those with the minimal qualifications to vote. And I want a really good lawyer if I am being judged. Being 'innocent' is not enough, unfortunately.

Philbert

SeMoTony likes this.
  4. 1Alpha1

How many years have you spent serving your country and community?

You don't have a clue as to what you are babbling on and on about. Why don't you enlighten me a bit as to what your career is or was.

5. 1Alpha1

Juries are not and never will be 100% competent. They are made up of citizens within the community their court system serves. Are all your neighbors perfect? How about all the employees of the local businesses you patronize? How about those that make up the laws within your community? Do they make perfect laws?

Good luck with the lawyers as well. :rolleyes:

Husky Man and unclemoustache like this.
  6. 1Alpha1

By the way, I didn't game anyone. I stated exactly what my career was, and the court decided that they didn't want ex-LE in it's jury pool, for whatever reason that might be.

You shouldn't call others a fool, when you are clearly one yourself. Not everyone cherishes the idea of serving as a juror.

Would you be willing to put your life on hold for 4 months, so that you could serve as a juror?

Husky Man likes this.
  7. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver Tree Freak

Been called for seven or eight times. Sat on three. Interesting experience. Sent one to prison for selling cocaine, another for habitual driving drunk. And, one pleaded guilty when the fool (arsonist) realized a trial was actually going to take place.

Managed to avoid one, murder case, adult on thirteen yo girl, rape and murder. It would have been a travel to SW Missouri and put up in a hotel. Took near an hour to fill out the questionnaire. Yikes! Of course I chose to come across as a ‘get a rope’ type person.

All in all, jury duty is something everyone should experience. A citizenship qualification if you will.

Philbert likes this.
  8. 1Alpha1

Not everyone feels as you do. That's why they have a thing called a jury duty summons. There's plenty of good, rock-solid, citizens that have never served on a jury.

Husky Man likes this.
  9. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Reality: Any defense lawyer will automatically excuse any member called to jury duty who has ex LE experience. They do not like such on juries.

10. CentaurG2

So what you are telling me is that in the USA, I am intitled to a trial by jury of my peers as long as it does not include any ex-LE personnel that view jury duty as a PITA?

lone wolf likes this.
  11. stihl sawing

stihl sawing MAD DOG

I got the letter to serve twice. our term is for three months. First time I had to sit in two trials, had to be Foreman both times. first one was a meth dealer and manufacture. on felon cases the jury has to be unanimous. we had one guy that wouldn't vote to convict. I honestly believe this guy was a plant. It was hard not keeping a couple from jumping on this guy. anyway we spent hours in deliberation because of this moron.

Turned out this clown on trial hade been busted 7 times for meth labs. the evidence against him was overwhelming. we had to judge his sentence and as a hung jury he got off light. I don't know but two women may have jumped him after the trial. they were that mad.

Second trial we convicted was a rapist. he was a youth leader at some church camp. he was bangin some 14 year old girl at night. she consented cause she said she loved him. his defense was she let him and wanted it. don't matter she was underage and can't make that decision. we sent him to prison.

The second three month term I never had to serve on a jury, guess they called others, only had to go once for the briefing and they picked a group and I didn't get picked.

They pick us by our voter registration, They must do yours different Dano since you said you don't vote.

lone wolf likes this.
  12. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

That could work against you depending how crooked they are! Once you are there you can see how they pick , what they look for, likes and dislikes etc!

13. RandyMac

RandyMac Stiff Member

I retired from an admin job at the local Sheriff's Office, everytime I get called for jury duty, the defense burns a preemptive.

bowtechmadman and stihl sawing like this.
  14. stihl sawing

stihl sawing MAD DOG

But Randy, You carrying a tire tool into the jury room does make a statement.

Husky Man likes this.
  15. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver Tree Freak

Not the same but a coroners jury.

A friend related that the local coroner came into the bar and randomly selected seven fellows. Seems an elderly couple had perished in a car crash. He needed a jury to decide which died first for inheritance purposes.

Maryville, Mo.

Bar was a hangout for students at Northwest Mo. State.

Go Bearcats!

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. 1Alpha1

First off, it's entitled. No such word as intitled. :buttkick:

The reason LE is almost always excluded, is that they tend to be pro-law. Being a PITA has nothing to do with it, but in this case, it did for me. I'm not willing to put my life on hold for 4 months, in order to pass judgement on some dirt bag that's on trial.

I've done my civic duty for over 30 yrs. I supplied those that went to trial. I did my part when it came to participating in the American Justice System.

Being a juror, or not being a juror, neither makes you a good or bad American. There's a myriad of ways to serve your country. It doesn't all just boil down to whether or not you were a juror.

Husky Man, SeMoTony and p61 western like this.
  17. 1Alpha1

Here in AZ., they use driver's licenses as a source to build a jury pool. That, as well as voter registration.

Husky Man likes this.
  18. 1Alpha1

Not too sure I'm following your line of thought. And, I have other things on my mind today, so I'm not even going to try and understand.

But, if you want to reword it, I'll consider it later today. ;)

19. CentaurG2

Sigh.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/intitled

You stay classy!

20. 1Alpha1

Okay, so I was incorrect. That makes twice now, I've been wrong about something. ;)

So, are you going to elaborate on what you do for a living? I'd like to know.

Husky Man likes this.