Just acquired a Husqvarna 55. Need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a nice looking Husqvarna 55. Bought it right.
Its pretty clean, but I'm a little nervous about it.

It turns freely, but seems to have constant and consistent drag on the pull cord when you pull it. Kind of feels like when a crank bearing has gone bad. I had a Stihl that exhibited this kind of symptom.

I'll check to make sure the coil has not come loose and stuck itself to the flywheel magnet. Also, there seems to be a baffle or something rattling around in the muffler, I'll make sure that's not the cause of the back pressure. Also will check the piston and cylinder. Also will check the clutch for function to make certain something is not messed up in there.

Anybody have any other suggestions what might be going on with it?
Does anyone have any opinions of this saw?

It seems pretty well built and robust, kind of reminds me of the three 136 Husqvarna's I used to have. They were tough little brutes I must admit. Enjoyed them more than I thought I would. Kind of miss them actually.

Thanks.

Yup 67L36Driver,
Your right Sir. Crank play will tell the story in most cases.
Probably not possible to have a bad crank bearing making that much resistance, yet still have no trace of movement up/down or in/out.
After work tomorrow, if I have any steam left in me, I think I'll tear into it.

I decided the first thing I'd do is pull the muffler and look at the piston.

Findings:
1) The piston is scored considerably and ring is bonded tight in the ring groove.
2) The crankshaft had absolutely no play in/out, or up/down. Everything looked good there.
3) Checked for spark with an in-line tester, and the spark was extremely strong and consistent.
4) Overall condition of the saw is very nice, does not look like there are many hours on it. I'll try to post some pictures.

Conclusion:
I think I'll try to trade the Husqvarna 55 for some kind of Echo, John Deere, McCulloch, or Poulan product that needs work.

Great timing! HLS Pro parts (who I think is a site sponsor) has a "daily deal" on OEM 55 P/C kits for $70 that ends today. Great deal, and a great saw to invest a little money in. You could go Huztl/China parts route, and I've had success with those parts to an extent, but for $70, OEM is the way to go. Good luck!

I'm curious. The 55 came after my time at Electrolux Motor. Looking at the material, finish & markings of OEM cylinders pictured on more than one seller's website, I would have picked them as a US casting, e.g. Lone Star.
Does anyone know if this is the case?

I'm curious. The 55 came after my time at Electrolux Motor. Looking at the material, finish & markings of OEM cylinders pictured on more than one seller's website, I would have picked them as a US casting, e.g. Lone Star.
Does anyone know if this is the case?
all those were swedish made. never seen anything but mahle top ends as said above.

all those were swedish made. never seen anything but mahle top ends as said above.
Traditionally, Mahle are German made but I understand what you mean.
All pro saws (closed port) had either Mahle or KolbenSchmidt c&p, as did all
semi-pro (open port) saws....until...the 66, which had a Gilardoni hybrid-port design.

The only Husqvarna homeowner/farm saw from that era that I know had US made cylinders is the 45. Thought they might have gone down the same road with the 55.

Back