Just bought a stihl MS270, need some help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neither does mine. uses about 80-90%. i have a 20" bar on mine w/Oregon chisel chain. this little saw is impressive. it goes thru 16-18" black oak like butter. on softwood, w/an 18" chain, your saw should fly. you've got something wrong somewhere. a good dealer should have filled oil & gas, adjusted rpm and chain oiler, and trial cut in wood....

I agree regarding what dealer role is!! Yes.. very good saw. We run it along side several pro saws (MS260 Pro and MS361) every day.. and it holds it own with no problems. A bit heavier than the 260 but a good saw with lots of power -- we run a 20" bar as well but that is max for the 270.

The second is I think the 18" bar is too long, it chugs through thicker wood, it will slow right down, is this a bar issue or am I cutting wrong? I generally try to keep logs under 14", we have bigger saws for the bigger stuff. is there a way to crank the oiler up on the new saws?

If you're keeping your logs 14" and under what difference does it make if you have an 18" or 16" bar, you would still have the same number of teeth in the wood. Sounds like you might be forcing the saw into the wood, a mistake many beginners make. I've ran an 18" bar on an 028 for years and does just fine. If you're burying the bar in tree bigger than the bar then it's makes a big difference but it sounds like you're trying to avoid that by using it on smaller stuff which is good.

Shorter bar = more oil per cutter

I think a shorter bar and chain would get more oil per link than a longer one. I try to stay away from maxing out a bar and chain for that reason.

If you're keeping your logs 14" and under what difference does it make if you have an 18" or 16" bar, you would still have the same number of teeth in the wood. Sounds like you might be forcing the saw into the wood, a mistake many beginners make. I've ran an 18" bar on an 028 for years and does just fine. If you're burying the bar in tree bigger than the bar then it's makes a big difference but it sounds like you're trying to avoid that by using it on smaller stuff which is good.

I just was thinking because the 16" bar is shorter it takes the saw less effort to move the chain around the bar. Our bigger saw is an 066 with a 24" bar, its the felling saw.

Sounds like you need to sharpen you chain. Did you?

I sharpen my chain after every use, and adjust depth stops accordingly.

My 270 would get a little hot, mostly because I was treating like a big saw and really doggin on it. I would clean the oiler passages, sharpen the chain and let it cut at the pace it wants to. It's a great saw, but nothing like your 90 cc saw.

I just was thinking because the 16" bar is shorter it takes the saw less effort to move the chain around the bar. Our bigger saw is an 066 with a 24" bar, its the felling saw.

I sharpen my chain after every use, and adjust depth stops accordingly.

What do you consider after every use? a full day of cutting?

Is oil being slung from the tip of the bar? Check that first.

Is the wood very wet? It might be water vapor that you are mistaking for burning oil. How does the wood look like. Is it burnt at the cut faces?

What do you consider after every use? a full day of cutting?

Yes.
I fell another tree after checking everything i was told about in this forum, it worked alot better. no burning, no smoke, cut like a hot knife through butter. as it turned out it was the chain not being too loose and woodchips being stuck under neath the chain. After cleaning and maintenance it worked fine, tomorrow i will do another full day of cutting and hope it goes as well.

Glad to hear you got it running smooth as mine has been incredible and you got me thinking about how much I've used it and never smoked it. I've had that lil dog in some really large hardwood 30in + with the 18in bar. Saw maintenace is very important when doing that, (clean and plenty of oil). I've run mine w/o laying off for an entire tank of fuel. It did melt a bit of the orange plastic above the muffler but no smoke ever.
Smoke=shut down immediately, something is wrong

Latest posts

Back