Just bought a toro stump grinder . Any input?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_1212.JPG bought this thing off eBay for 1500.
It came on train and I just picked it up this afternoon.

I've got a couple questions if someone could help me out please.

1- it puffs white smoke when running fairly bad. Especially when getting bogged down. What's causing this and how to stop?

2-anything I should know about this particular model?

Thanks in advance!
Has a Honda gx390 engine

Was it new when you bought it.
Does it run any better at partial choke, if so pull the carb and clean it.
It's pretty much standard procedure for me on most Honda products I buy, and I buy quite a few.
I'm also wondering why you chose that type of grinder and why you didn't buy one off craigslist.
Brett

Was it new when you bought it.
Does it run any better at partial choke, if so pull the carb and clean it.
It's pretty much standard procedure for me on most Honda products I buy, and I buy quite a few.
I'm also wondering why you chose that type of grinder and why you didn't buy one off craigslist.
Brett

I bought it used off eBay.
I chose this one because it's the same one everyone rents here in town and it's always got the job done for me. It's also lightweight so I don't need a trailer.
I bought off eBay because I used PayPal credit to fund the purchase

I bought it used off eBay.
I chose this one because it's the same one everyone rents here in town and it's always got the job done for me. It's also lightweight so I don't need a trailer.
I bought off eBay because I used PayPal credit to fund the purchase
Cool, I get that.
Any pictures of the stumps you've done.
I'm considering getting one that is a bit bigger and has the hydro drive, but it still is a lot smaller unit than most. It's big enough, but small enough to fit on the trailer with my tractor.

Cool, I get that.
Any pictures of the stumps you've done.
I'm considering getting one that is a bit bigger and has the hydro drive, but it still is a lot smaller unit than most. It's big enough, but small enough to fit on the trailer with my tractor.
Don't get me wrong, I would love a bigger machine . But I'm working with little capital so this price range was the most affordable for me.
And honestly , this little grinder can grind almost every stump I need it too. i live in Arizona and the trees here don't get very big so this machine is sufficient enough for what we got

I’m interested to hear what you think of it. I’ve looked at these before but those with knowledge talked me out of it. I do trees on the side and nothing really big. I figured this would be good to have around but I have no experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, I would love a bigger machine . But I'm working with little capital so this price range was the most affordable for me.
And honestly , this little grinder can grind almost every stump I need it too. i live in Arizona and the trees here don't get very big so this machine is sufficient enough for what we got
I appreciate the info and the picture.
What type of tree is the one in the picture.
Did you get a chance to mess with the one you just bought yet.

I appreciate the info and the picture.
What type of tree is the one in the picture.
Did you get a chance to mess with the one you just bought yet.

I think that tree was a China berry.

Tomorrow will be the first time I actually use it for work.

So far here's what I've done to it:
-put brand new teeth on
-greased cutter wheel
-new air filter, spark plug and oil change
-adjusted brake
-fresh gas

It's now running much better and not producing white smoke. I think the commenter above was correct about water being in gas.

I've got to grind 2 pine and 1 mesquite stump tomorrow, I'll post pics . This will be my first time working with the new grinder

I’m interested to hear what you think of it. I’ve looked at these before but those with knowledge talked me out of it. I do trees on the side and nothing really big. I figured this would be good to have around but I have no experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's better than no grinder.
It's kind of like comparing a craftsman chainsaw to a Stihl ms660.
Obviously the Stihl is a stronger choice, but with a sharp chain, the craftsman cuts wood too

Looks good, I always found the challenge having to grind down 10+" to meet contract specs. You have to excavate a significant sized

Yea it has a hard time going deep because the frame around the cutter wheel bottoms out on ground.
Honestly I usually grind them about 2-4" below ground , cover it up and the customer pays.
I've only ever had 1 customer request a deeper depth because they were going to pour concrete over top it. And it was a pain in the ass to grind it.

Latest posts

Back