Just bought my stolen saw back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in August I was robbed and 5 saws were stolen, including my treasured Jonsered 2065, which my father bought brand new in '98.
In 2008 I rebuilt the top end using an NWP 52mm BB kit, which I mildly ported myself (thank you arboristsite).
I truly love this saw and it has witnessed more father-son bonding than anything, except Budweiser.
I was devastated when it was stolen.
So weeks past, and I decided to replace it. I've been cruising eBay for a decent 2065/71 or 2165/71. Then Monday, I found it... MY SAW for sale, being shipped from two towns away!! There are very distinguishing features that cannot be coincidence.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSERED-2...416155?hash=item1a8343eb5b:g:TkkAAOSw9TFdaWJ8
So I contacted my assigned detective, explained the deep sentimental value of it, and with her blessing, I bought it. It just arrived!
Upon positively identifying it, the detective is already moving to get a subpoena and a warrant.
The return address doesn't exist, and the name is from a 78yo lady that died in January 2018! This could topple a sizable crime ring.
I'm just happy to have my favorite saw back.

View attachment 760474
Did you check out Mr. Kalogerinis at 915 Hays St. Fayetteville, NC 28305-5313, that shows on ups label under that Stihl saw.

track it back to the post office it was shipped from,or the truck that picked it up. buy something else that is easily identifiable form the seller, then go wait at the post office to see who drops it off or follow the truck on its route to see where it is picked up at. a baseball bat, a shot gun loaded with #4 shot and some zip ties are all you need. go Dexter on his or her ass and find out who their friends are...wash, rinse, repeat until you have cleaned the nest out.

YES!!! It most certainly is my saw!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
sorry for the delay responding, but I've been in contact with the sheriff's department.

Screenshot_20190918-211828.png
My saw before it was stolen. Note the paint chip missing above the "L" in Stihl, and the dealer sticker.
In the eBay pics the glue residue from the sticker is clearly visible, and the paint chip.

Thanks again!!

If you look at post of tanks in his van and use google earth, you will see business signs in his pictures on both in front of that van. If you purchased from that ebay seller, that is his address.
Damn Duce you be scary quick with that stuff....

I was specifically and clearly instructed not to go near, nor make contact with the address. Sheriff's will have a warrant by Friday.
She (my detective) thinks this is a large, multi-crew operation, and doesn't want me to spook anyone. The seller is using a phony address on the shipping labels, and is dropping the packages off at a FedEx location to be shipped.
They're good. In under 5 minutes they busted in my garage door, cut cable locks, pried open locked metal cabinets, and we're gone. I ran into red tape because I didn't have serial numbers. So... WRITE DOWN YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS!!

Does husky/j-red or dealer where your father purchased it have his name and serial number on file? Those Stihl saws should be easy to trace back to original owners. Glad to hear they will get whats rightfully coming to them and you have your saw back, now get your money back also.. Bad day when someone takes what another has worked for. Loser's, now I will be still and wait to hear about the bust.

I love it! A genuine "Go ahead, make my day" moment. And if i recall, you have the goon's face from your front door camera.
Yes, got a great pic of his face. Identified as Clay W. Carpenter. Has 2 warrants on him. One for robbing me, and an earlier one for "absconding" from his parole.. felony larceny. Quality human being!

Does husky/j-red or dealer where your father purchased it have his name and serial number on file? Those Stihl saws should be easy to trace back to original owners. Glad to hear they will get whats rightfully coming to them and you have your saw back, now get your money back also.. Bad day when someone takes what another has worked for. Loser's, now I will be still and wait to hear about the bust.
The original dealer in Plymouth MA is gone. When I rebuilt it in '08, I had to travel quite a bit for nib oem Jred parts. I moved to NC in November '18.
The serial number is a bit corroded from sap, with last one or two digits illegible. I have a picture of it, but police said they won't use a "partial". I'm unbelievably happy to have it back. Unfortunately I never thought to write or photograph the Stihl 011AV nor the two Mac 10-10 serial numbers. The 261c SN is registered as stolen with police and Stihl.

They're good. In under 5 minutes they busted in my garage door, cut cable locks, pried open locked metal cabinets, and we're gone.

It's awesome that it sounds like these thieves are going to get what they deserve. I'm curious though, you lock up your storage cabinets in your own garage?

I was specifically and clearly instructed not to go near, nor make contact with the address. Sheriff's will have a warrant by Friday.
She (my detective) thinks this is a large, multi-crew operation, and doesn't want me to spook anyone. The seller is using a phony address on the shipping labels, and is dropping the packages off at a FedEx location to be shipped.
They're good. In under 5 minutes they busted in my garage door, cut cable locks, pried open locked metal cabinets, and we're gone. I ran into red tape because I didn't have serial numbers. So... WRITE DOWN YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS!!
The problem with writing down a serial number doesn’t really prove it’s yours. I could go to someone’s house with a great chainsaw in his her garage and write down that serial number. I call the cops and say it was stolen and they will say exactly what I just said.

The real proof is a bill of sale that can be linked to a store that has it on file with a serial number in their records as well. There is no denying that when it comes to proving who’s it is.

I was told this cause we had some bikes stolen 10 years ago in which the serial number thing came up.

I keep all my receipts for my saws and if you buy one used get a bill or sale from the previous owner with

A date
A price
A serial number
And their signature on the same document
Previous owner contact info

I wish a lawyer would chime in and give us their opinion on the matter

The problem with writing down a serial number doesn’t really prove it’s yours. I could go to someone’s house with a great chainsaw in his her garage and write down that serial number. I call the cops and say it was stolen and they will say exactly what I just said.

The real proof is a bill of sale that can be linked to a store that has it on file with a serial number in their records as well. There is no denying that when it comes to proving who’s it is.

I was told this cause we had some bikes stolen 10 years ago in which the serial number thing came up.

I keep all my receipts for my saws and if you buy one used get a bill or sale from the previous owner with

A date
A price
A serial number
And their signature on the same document
Previous owner contact info

I wish a lawyer would chime in and give us their opinion on the matter
Ok. I'm old and remember back when! Back when people shot thieves. The problems are the Elected officials, Attorneys, and giant wimpy idiots making and enforcing laws. Back in 1993 when I thought maybe working Law Enforcement might be fun, I became a Police Officer working a few nights a week. What I saw was, thieves getting back on the streets before the next day or next month. Prison overcrowding. Easy on crime. No one with those big hairy coconuts like real men once had. How do you solve Pig Pen over crowding? Well you DON'T turn those pigs loose, right! So what do you do. Butcher and cull the Herd. ONLY when we decide to grow some coconuts to go with the Banana and eliminate REPEAT offenders, will crime slow. I know a lil bstrd that stole 3 Chainsaws. I put word out it's wise to steer clear of my ****. Caught a guy with out of state Tags in my driveway a few months ago. I wear a pistol in a boot holster. I made darn sure he noticed it when I told him not to ever come back. I practice. Shot a cotton mouth back on the creek a few days ago. Big heads make easy targets. Walmart has stopped open carry in it's stores. If all good men were armed and allowed to shoot back there would be a lot less crime. That's my opinion. Making people mad saying this doesn't bother me. Lets go one step farther and use their organs. Eliminate crime and save lives. Simple!!

I would be concerned that the perpetrators google chainsaws / stolen / recovered and got wind of the law enforcement agenda....-- regardless Congratulations on recovering your your saws I had a backhoe and trailer stolen and 6 years later I saw it less than 10 miles from where it was stolen.. Law enforcement did NOT impress me in the least.... I ended up with it back but it wasn't cheap.. a case of a Lazy Detective

Back