Just bought new STIHL MS460, good choice??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexTreeService

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It was a toss up between the 460 and the 660. I didn't like the extra 1.5 lb weight of the 660, or the $200 price jump. I did like the 1 extra HP. Ultimately, I went with the MS460 at 6HP, 15.2 LBS with a wrap handle, a 28" bar, RapidSuperFull-skip chain for $950. I needed a good tree service ground saw for bucking, felling, limbing, and occasionally in the tree for large trunk/crane sections. I also need to take fill the void between a MS390 limbing/bucking ground saw, and a MS880 trunk bucking saw with a 47" bar.

Is there a better choice? The 660?

I think you made the the correct decision with the 460,you guys are so lucky with the price of saws over there.I just got a price on a 460 power head only $1450.

You did good. I have never ran a 660, but most say the 460 will cut close with a 660 until you bury a 28" bar. That's when the 660 shines. I love mine, I run a 25" and RS. Plus you have the 880 for the really big stuff.

460 is the best saw Stihl make or have made (not that I'm biased!). It is light enough for small limbing, stick a short bar on it and it makes a wicked firewood saw, and it will pull a 25" bar without breaking into a sweat. I would imagine that on most jobs, you won't bother with the 660 any more.

I've got two of them, one that I got new and one that arrived as a cheap box of parts from eBay.

460 rules

i use 2 n460's and a 372 and a 660 but the got to saw IS DEFINITLY the 460 , use it for nearly everything , 20" and 25" but mostly 20" . never a problem .

Yes I think that is the best choice given that you already have a 880 to do big stump work.

I like the 25" bar, semi chisel chain on the 660's for stump work. Much better than dragging out the 084 unless the stump is a 4 foot plus monster.

They had a 460 at the Anitique Acres GTG last year, it sucked compared to 660's and 372's.

Good choice! Smaller in size with big power!!! Plus if you need anything bigger in power you all ways got that monster 880!!!!

Congrats on the new 460. Also, it's nice to see a guy with a tree service using an MS390. Other than the fact my MS390's bar oiler doesn't oil enough, the saw is great.

I think you made the right choice. My 460 is my favorite saw by far!

better choice? sure, the 7900. better choice in the stihl line-up? nope!!!! you did well.....enjoy your saw. i have a 440 that will be a 460 one day!
Neal

Well I have been hearing about the Dolmar 7900 for quite some time now. .2 more HP, a pound lighter, but how is the build quality and what is it's life expectancy? They look under built and a bit cheap. Much like a Husqvarna. You know a Stihl will last year after year, without any cracked plastics, starts every time, and great power. Things I appreciate in Stihl innovation: Intelli-carb compensating carburetor for making minute adjustments automatically when the air filter is dirty, etc. Elasto-start bungee pull cord handle which prevents bicep tendon strains from repeated pulls throughout the work day, day in and day out. More so of a problem if yanking at an angle such as in a tree and using the bicep to pull as opposed to the rear delt and lats. Very effective chain brake system for stopping the chain in a kick back scenario. Single lever start, cold start, stop, run lever. Tool less oil and fuel caps, don't have to find a scrench to re-fuel. Dogs (bumper spikes) that are useful rather than just looking cool like a Klingon bird of prey off of a Star Trek episode. Stihl bar made of the highest quality, and Stihl chain which keeps it's edge longer due to superior high carbon steel used for the teeth.

Who would win. A Stihl MS460 vs a Dolmar 7900 5 days a week in the woods or a professional tree service where it's dropped, rolled, used, and abused??

I had the same decision to make, and I went w/ the 460 as well. It normally wears a 25" bar and RSC chain. The 460 can do most of my big work just fine, only on rare occaisions do I need more saw.

awesome saw running a 28" you did good.
as good as it is the epa has it breathing through a mixing straw.

Well I have been hearing about the Dolmar 7900 for quite some time now. .2 more HP, a pound lighter, but how is the build quality and what is it's life expectancy? They look under built and a bit cheap.

Yup the 7900 will stomp the 460, sucks don’t it. Don’t know what you’re looking at but the 7900 is a very quality built saw, they use Mahle for P&C, Walbro and Zama for their carbs, mag crank case. What does your 460 use for a cylinder, Hmmmm???
Excellent anti-vibe, how is the vibs in that rubber mounted 460, talk about tendons and bicep problems.

Much like a Husqvarna. You know a Stihl will last year after year, without any cracked plastics, starts every time, and great power.

I don’t know they will last forever, how do you? There are plenty of Stihls out there with broken plastic, I own several Stihls and none of them start that great, minimum of 5-6 pulls, the 880 is more.

Things I appreciate in Stihl innovation: Intelli-carb compensating carburetor for making minute adjustments automatically when the air filter is dirty, etc. Elasto-start bungee pull cord handle which prevents bicep tendon strains from repeated pulls throughout the work day, day in and day out. More so of a problem if yanking at an angle such as in a tree and using the bicep to pull as opposed to the rear delt and lats.

I’m glad you appreciate Innovations, Dolmar invented the chainsaw  Elasto-start is nice, especially when you have to pull the Stihls twice as much as anything else. 7900 has a decomp also, makes it easy to pull over a kid could do it!

Very effective chain brake system for stopping the chain in a kick back scenario. Single lever start, cold start, stop, run lever. Tool less oil and fuel caps, don't have to find a scrench to re-fuel.

Dolmars has been putting chain breaks on saws for years now, not sure where you were going with that one, it works too, it isn’t there for looks… And your beloved fuel caps, I see there is a lot of love for those things, I’ll stick with screw in caps, talk about realiablity that you like, don’t look there!

Dogs (bumper spikes) that are useful rather than just looking cool like a Klingon bird of prey off of a Star Trek episode. Stihl bar made of the highest quality, and Stihl chain which keeps it's edge longer due to superior high carbon steel used for the teeth.

Actually I was quite skeptical about the dogs too, but afer using them I realize a lot of time went into those, they work great and bite when they need to, until you use them you can’t appreciate them.

Who would win. A Stihl MS460 vs a Dolmar 7900 5 days a week in the woods or a professional tree service where it's dropped, rolled, used, and abused??

Neither would win when your trashing them, but there is pro loggers out there using them too. I don’t think a real professional is going to trash there equipment, maybe used hard but not trashed.

Last edited:
who said you pull the stihls twice as much, is that proven fact. and how tuned these saws. my stihls are a one pull kinda saw. a couple pulls when its 15deg out.

however if they are not tuned correctly or if someone who doesnt know how to start a saws trys this story can be difrent.

maybe the dollys are fuel injected and auto tune to the force being applied to pull rope.

Good for you, I'm glad. I tune the 7900 the same as my Stihls. The Stihls start different:)

Back