Just bought new STIHL MS460, good choice??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are not doing it properly then ! Perhaps the saw needs some tuning ? Or you just don't like Stihl :monkey:

No problems with the tuning, I tune my Dolmars also, I own many saws, most of them are Stihls. I have a 011, 024, 066 and 880, I have two Dolmars 5100 and 7900. I wouldn't say I don't like Stihls. I like the 024 and 066, I probably wouldn't sell either one ever. The 880 is a pig, in performance. The 011 is a nice little saw but it never gets used, it does work good for chainsaw carving so I'll keep it for that.

Now if it came down to it that I had to sell every saw except two, the Stihls and Macs would be gone.:cheers:

BTW, an excellent choice. You can't really go wrong. Excellent power to weight ratio. Saw will last you a lifetime.

Yup the 7900 will stomp the 460, sucks don’t it. Don’t know what you’re looking at but the 7900 is a very quality built saw, they use Mahle for P&C, Walbro and Zama for their carbs, mag crank case. What does your 460 use for a cylinder, Hmmmm???
Excellent anti-vibe, how is the vibs in that rubber mounted 460, talk about tendons and bicep problems.

I don’t know they will last forever, how do you? There are plenty of Stihls out there with broken plastic, I own several Stihls and none of them start that great, minimum of 5-6 pulls, the 880 is more.

I’m glad you appreciate Innovations, Dolmar invented the chainsaw  Elasto-start is nice, especially when you have to pull the Stihls twice as much as anything else. 7900 has a decomp also, makes it easy to pull over a kid could do it!

Dolmars has been putting chain breaks on saws for years now, not sure where you were going with that one, it works too, it isn’t there for looks… And your beloved fuel caps, I see there is a lot of love for those things, I’ll stick with screw in caps, talk about realiablity that you like, don’t look there!

Actually I was quite skeptical about the dogs too, but afer using them I realize a lot of time went into those, they work great and bite when they need to, until you use them you can’t appreciate them.

Neither would win when your trashing them, but there is pro loggers out there using them too. I don’t think a real professional is going to trash there equipment, maybe used hard but not trashed.
Interesting message just one thing dolmar did not invent the chainsaw Jonsered in Sweden invented the chainsaw as you can see in the internationa patents library. Dolmar just changed a few things.

You haven't by any means upset me. Feel free to look and post all you want. It seems odd though that you join the site today and your first post is to correct someone's comment from a thread that's 4 years old. Perhaps you felt the need to make everyone aware of your superior Internet skills of searching for the first chainsaw manufacturer. Whatever the case, i do not care. You've made your first impression, and I've learned all I need to know about you, good day sir.

I think the story went that dolmar came out with the first one man chainsaw or some such anyhow... Either way I think the point was that they have been around for a long time and are a quality saw. I am curious myself about the history but not enough to do any serious research into it. Too lazy :) Most saw companies have seen their time on top one time or another anyhow. Even macs and homelites were top of the game at one time.

I think the story went that dolmar came out with the first one man chainsaw or some such anyhow... Either way I think the point was that they have been around for a long time and are a quality saw. I am curious myself about the history but not enough to do any serious research into it. Too lazy :) Most saw companies have seen their time on top one time or another anyhow. Even macs and homelites were top of the game at one time.
I know about this because my great great great maternal grandfather was willem Gibson the founder of the village of jonsereds, near Göteborg sweden. so the patent belonged to my family. I was reading this thread and came across this so as one would i commented.

You haven't by any means upset me. Feel free to look and post all you want. It seems odd though that you join the site today and your first post is to correct someone's comment from a thread that's 4 years old. Perhaps you felt the need to make everyone aware of your superior Internet skills of searching for the first chainsaw manufacturer. Whatever the case, i do not care. You've made your first impression, and I've learned all I need to know about you, good day sir.
No it is because willem gibson (founder of jonsereds) is my great great great maternal grandfather.
Also to have learned all you need to know about someone from a 30 odd line of words is impressive you must have a PHD in psychology with more wherewithal than freud ever did therefore i relinquish to your superiority. Good day.

Well I have been hearing about the Dolmar 7900 for quite some time now. .2 more HP, a pound lighter, but how is the build quality and what is it's life expectancy? They look under built and a bit cheap. Much like a Husqvarna. You know a Stihl will last year after year, without any cracked plastics, starts every time, and great power. Things I appreciate in Stihl innovation: Intelli-carb compensating carburetor for making minute adjustments automatically when the air filter is dirty, etc. Elasto-start bungee pull cord handle which prevents bicep tendon strains from repeated pulls throughout the work day, day in and day out. More so of a problem if yanking at an angle such as in a tree and using the bicep to pull as opposed to the rear delt and lats. Very effective chain brake system for stopping the chain in a kick back scenario. Single lever start, cold start, stop, run lever. Tool less oil and fuel caps, don't have to find a scrench to re-fuel. Dogs (bumper spikes) that are useful rather than just looking cool like a Klingon bird of prey off of a Star Trek episode. Stihl bar made of the highest quality, and Stihl chain which keeps it's edge longer due to superior high carbon steel used for the teeth.

Who would win. A Stihl MS460 vs a Dolmar 7900 5 days a week in the woods or a professional tree service where it's dropped, rolled, used, and abused??
thank you ...

No haha. Jonsered was the inventor of the first 1 man saw.... I appreciate all the major manufacturers & all I'll add here is, the smaller Stihl's are assholes to work on as are the late 90's early 2000's smaller J'Reds/Husky's. The nylon worm gears on the Stihl's are a joke!

Well I have been hearing about the Dolmar 7900 for quite some time now. .2 more HP, a pound lighter, but how is the build quality and what is it's life expectancy? They look under built and a bit cheap. Much like a Husqvarna. You know a Stihl will last year after year, without any cracked plastics, starts every time, and great power. Things I appreciate in Stihl innovation: Intelli-carb compensating carburetor for making minute adjustments automatically when the air filter is dirty, etc. Elasto-start bungee pull cord handle which prevents bicep tendon strains from repeated pulls throughout the work day, day in and day out. More so of a problem if yanking at an angle such as in a tree and using the bicep to pull as opposed to the rear delt and lats. Very effective chain brake system for stopping the chain in a kick back scenario. Single lever start, cold start, stop, run lever. Tool less oil and fuel caps, don't have to find a scrench to re-fuel. Dogs (bumper spikes) that are useful rather than just looking cool like a Klingon bird of prey off of a Star Trek episode. Stihl bar made of the highest quality, and Stihl chain which keeps it's edge longer due to superior high carbon steel used for the teeth.

Who would win. A Stihl MS460 vs a Dolmar 7900 5 days a week in the woods or a professional tree service where it's dropped, rolled, used, and abused??
Dolmar

Latest posts

Back