Just had my first climb with my new gear.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's actually used gear that I bought for cheap. It's all petzl pieces.

The $1,000 worth of stuff I got for $200 worked out really nice too. I clipped my saddle onto my top hand ascender. I clipped a foot hold into the bottom hand ascender. The foot hold is actually a horizontal stick on a rope that can easily alow both of my feet. You know how it works from here. This is sooo much easier than using the inch worm technique with the blakes hitch.

I climbed up 3 stories into a tree in the park and tried to use my figure 8 to get down. All of my tests failed while I stayed clipped into my ascenders. Supposedly one of the devices I bought is a descender, but it's not obvious how I should apply it, so I didn't risk using that.

After trying the 8 for a while, I gave up, and worked my way down by using the ascenders. That works just as well I suppose, but I need to do a search on the petzl descender for the directions for use to make a pro descent from now on.

It was a short, little climb, but the future never looked brighter from up there.

you should practice a little lower and were the ropes used as well

The $1,000 worth of stuff I got for $200 worked out really nice too. I clipped my saddle onto my top hand ascender. I clipped a foot hold into the bottom hand ascender. The foot hold is actually a horizontal stick on a rope that can easily alow both of my feet. You know how it works from here. This is sooo much easier than using the inch worm technique with the blakes hitch.

I climbed up 3 stories into a tree in the park and tried to use my figure 8 to get down. All of my tests failed while I stayed clipped into my ascenders. Supposedly one of the devices I bought is a descender, but it's not obvious how I should apply it, so I didn't risk using that.

After trying the 8 for a while, I gave up, and worked my way down by using the ascenders. That works just as well I suppose, but I need to do a search on the petzl descender for the directions for use to make a pro descent from now on.

It was a short, little climb, but the future never looked brighter from up there.

How many stories in a tree?

I am not a fan of used climbing gear but that aside, if you can't figure out how to use a figure 8 descender then you are in dire need of the climbing tuition I suggested you undertake a month ago. Over here 3 stories up would be well over 24 feet. Smarter people than me worked out that you only need to fall 4 feet onto a hard surface to injure your spine and double that to die. Get some hands-on help BEFORE you climb. It is much much better than hands on physiotherapy to learn how to walk again afterwards....

I've got one too and have searched it several times and can't find the 'down' button so I leave it in the shop. I think the guy I bought it from ripped me off because he said it worked fine.

Hilarious.

I'll get some snaps, and post them so I can read what the guys here know about these pieces. The guy I bought these from was somewhat a star/inovator here in CA. He ran a few businesses, and made a lot of money in some while in others he built up and sold to better financed branches in the same fields.

One company he was head of was one of the first inovators of hang gliders. They designed, tested, and manufactured a lot of the profiles that are currently produced today. Sold that company after so many years. He also used to rig sail boat masts with the climbing gear I bought from him. He later ran an airlite products company, and he was making his best money in some brokering niche for real estate and the likes. I had this guy on for 3 hours before I took the gear. Really interesting vet. I thought this guy was such a vet of the league (no trees but all aerial) that I gave him his $200 he originally asked for although I had him down to $165. He deserved that extra money. He had climbed and cave dove all of those years. He had brutally destroyed himself at least twice once from a boat mast and once from a hang glider test crash. I have the stunt man's gear here. :monkey:

As mentioned test the gear at the ground with all your weight on it, or find a steep but short hill just to get the feel of the gear. The figure 8 device is very basic and if you can't figure it out then you shouldn't be doing this type of work. Apparantly you didn't buy the "The Tree Climbers Companion" for only $20 bucks as everybody as mentioned or you would of known how to work the figure 8 device.

Also I believe a lot of rope manufacturers started out making rigging lines for sailboats and the shipping industry, so this guy didn't invent that. Also I would be pretty worried about useing ropes that was used for sailing. Sure in a life and death situation, I'd use it but not for making 35k a year doing tree work. Also if this guy is so wealthy, why is he selling old climbing gear for $200 bucks. If he is that wealthy, I would think he would scared of being sued for selling old tired climbing gear to somebody that doesn't know what he's doing and could get killed. Especially considering in one of your post you said he made the saddle himself.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of used climbing gear but that aside, if you can't figure out how to use a figure 8 descender then you are in dire need of the climbing tuition I suggested you undertake a month ago. Over here 3 stories up would be well over 24 feet. Smarter people than me worked out that you only need to fall 4 feet onto a hard surface to injure your spine and double that to die. Get some hands-on help BEFORE you climb. It is much much better than hands on physiotherapy to learn how to walk again afterwards....

I was just telling a guy that the reaffirmation of all climbers is not a bad thing. Even though we may be as safe as bees in the air, it can't hurt at all to hear or read from our peers to focus on caution and preparedness as much as possible. Most of the things people do can incur mistakes, but no major set backs take place. A tiny little mistake in this craft can mean the end. There is no place for mistakes in this one.

By the way, I'm getting through my Climber's Companion. Juicey book. I'll probably read it twice and keep it in the truck for jobs.

The C. Companion is my teacher, but as a born athletic animal I'm not just saying that this book is all I need to make major headway in this craft. I'm not because I don't want to tip off any of the house cats out there that really need to go to a few workshops to learn this craft safely. To expect them to be as virtuous as myself and to be as successful as myself at picking up dangerous and high focus crafts with mere athletic virtues and the little Climber's Companion is to overestimate the average person by a mile.

Nobody should be as improvisational as I am being at taking on tree climbing especially with saws in their hands as I myself am. This is down right dangerous business. To suggest that the house cats could advance as fast as I am doing is just plain murder. No one under any circumstances should take my example of risque and eagerness on the ropes.

Don't be discouraged by the figure of eight, they have ruined greater men. Your potency will be perpetually tested by pernicious tools of this trade. The Blakes Hitch and the Bowline are two of the most nefarious implements of the craft. Some will take a lifetime to master them.

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged by the figure of eight, they have ruined greater men. Your potency will be perpetually tested by pernicious tools of this trade. The Blakes Hitch and the Bowline are two of the most nefarious implements of the craft. Some will take a lifetime to master them.

Heh, heh. I really need to work on my bow and blake skills. Yesterday though it was getting dark, and I didn't want to be up there past dusk in the park working a way to the ground with the bow and hitch.

Here is all of the gear I bought the other day for $200. I think I got a deal.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I was just telling a guy that the reaffirmation of all climbers is not a bad thing. Even though we may be as safe as bees in the air, it can't hurt at all to hear or read from our peers to focus on caution and preparedness as much as possible. Most of the things people do can incur mistakes, but no major set backs take place. A tiny little mistake in this craft can mean the end. There is no place for mistakes in this one.

By the way, I'm getting through my Climber's Companion. Juicey book. I'll probably read it twice and keep it in the truck for jobs.

The C. Companion is my teacher, but as a born athletic animal I'm not just saying that this book is all I need to make major headway in this craft. I'm not because I don't want to tip off any of the house cats out there that really need to go to a few workshops to learn this craft safely. To expect them to be as virtuous as myself and to be as successful as myself at picking up dangerous and high focus crafts with mere athletic virtues and the little Climber's Companion is to overestimate the average person by a mile.

Nobody should be as improvisational as I am being at taking on tree climbing especially with saws in their hands as I myself am. This is down right dangerous business. To suggest that the house cats could advance as fast as I am doing is just plain murder. No one under any circumstances should take my example of risque and eagerness on the ropes.

Lol, yeah, you're just a legend in your own mind.....you better listen to the wisdom that been offered to you, or you may find out the hard way that gravity is a ##### of a teacher.

:notrolls2:

Wow, lol.

:spam:

So what if someone comes along while you are climbing in the park and ties the tail of your rope off to the trunk, how are you going to get down?

Maybe he'll just cut his way down with his new 3120 "climbing saw", LOL.

Brighto, 3120s climb on their owns.

Attn everyone else: Thanks for the hell. No, wait. Thanks for reading that one post. I tread like a poet. I write pages like a paddle boat. I'd hate have it go to waste.

Anyway the sadddle is custom made. That guy, Robertson, was a friend of the prior owner, and he constructed the thing for him.

Any comments on the gear? I was doing my homework on these things, and it doesn't look like any of these pieces are good for descending. I take it that the 8 is an OK descending device, but it is not an ideal one. What does anyone else say?

By 3 stories I assume you mean say 30 feet? Something like that.

Maybe try the Tree Climber's Companion...like memorize that book first.

But I technically don't know anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back