Just Joined

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again all.
Great site from what I’ve been reading in. I need to start asking questions on the 026, is there a Stihl section? Or just in the chainsaw area.
BoB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, here’s the deal. I bought the saw new in 94 ( ice storm ). Very pleased with it. I only used it off/ on for a few years, and only need one occasionally. BUT, I wanted a good saw that would last, not a cheaper saw. Fast forward to now. I’m now living in a cabin in the woods and need a saw again. The last time I used it, the bar oiler wasn’t working. ( no oil slinging off the tip like when it was new ). Rather than ruining the bar/chain I didn’t use it.
So now after sitting for over 10-15 years, I’m getting it out again. I dumped what was left of the old gas and oil, put some kerosine in and I’m flushing and cleaning it up inside and out. The saw I’m sure only has a combined run time of maybe 12/15 hrs total. Nothing should be worn out. Likely stopped up.
Are parts ( Filters mostly ) still available from Stihl? If not who makes replacements = to originals?
Sorry for being long winded, but better to know the whole story.
Thanks again
BoB

If it has been sitting for that long there is a good possibility that fuel lines are bad. Also the intake boot and impulse line. I personally stay away from the aftermarket stuff as the quality isn't good.(I'll hear about that) I would start with checking all the parts I mentioned and put in a new plug and fuel filter. Might as well flush the oil tank while your at it. You can check the oiler by starting the saw with the bar off and and seeing if oil comes out the hole. 026 will do this at idle. More to come from others.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Hmm a low hour 026? What ya want for it? Trade ya a ready to go low hour 025?Screenshot_20200321-232646.png

Farmer Steve, Yes, I dumped the oil tank and fuel tank both. Then put some kerosene in each , have it a good sloshing and let it sit overnight. I figured I’d start with a good cleaning and go from there.
It’s been stored where it never got above 70 and never below 50. When I dumped out the old fuel, it didn’t smell bad.
JKStihl, I really like the old saw , and frankly I couldn’t afford another “ good one “. I am glad I bit the bullet and got this one over a cheap one. When did they stop making this saw? I’ve had several asking to buy it, but then I’d have to buy another one anyway.
Another question, what plug is preferred? Bosch or NGK? I could probably get by with just cleaning the original, but I’ll likely install a new one.
Same with the air filter.
Thanks again
BoB

Farmer Steve, Yes, I dumped the oil tank and fuel tank both. Then put some kerosene in each , have it a good sloshing and let it sit overnight. I figured I’d start with a good cleaning and go from there.
It’s been stored where it never got above 70 and never below 50. When I dumped out the old fuel, it didn’t smell bad.
JKStihl, I really like the old saw , and frankly I couldn’t afford another “ good one “. I am glad I bit the bullet and got this one over a cheap one. When did they stop making this saw? I’ve had several asking to buy it, but then I’d have to buy another one anyway.
Another question, what plug is preferred? Bosch or NGK? I could probably get by with just cleaning the original, but I’ll likely install a new one.
Same with the air filter.
Thanks again
BoB

bosc plug WSR 6 F. NGK BPMR 7 A. Either will work fine. There are several different filters for that saw Bob. Yours may be ok with the amount of time on the saw. Again OEM over aftermarket. Here's a link to another thread where you can parts list, repair manual and owners manual if you don't have one.https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-beg-for-manuals-thread.68615/page-1579

I already found and downloaded the owners manual and I found a pdf of the parts, hoping it’s correct. My original manual is here ( somewhere ). I’m planning on cleaning the original air filter. I’m reading it’s fleece??
And yea, I’ll get some pics up [emoji1303]
Thanks again for all the info.
BoB

42b86b69823652cd379e958f748bad5a.jpg
6199f94da8e8c2de1ebc7014c860bd60.jpg

Before

I have the bar and chain off. Got them soaking. Brushed everything but the air filter with kerosene and wiping down. I blew out the air filter best I could from the inside and wiped down the outside.
So far it’s all cleaning up good. And I’m really thinking the hole in the bar and the opening to the top groove was stopped up.
More pics to follow. [emoji1303]

Welcome to the site. 026 is a great chainsaw and you will get it back to running order. Lots of folks here willing to help, just ask any question.

Check your mail in basket. I sent you some info your way. (upper right corner of the screen, look for the mail envelope symbol). Link and ipl and manual.

Latest posts

Back