• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Just Starting Out - How am I most likely to hurt myself?

windsurferk

windsurferk

ArboristSite Lurker
After watching dozens of youtube videos and reading The Tree Climber's Companion, I took the plunge and ordered the basic gear for a MRS/DdRT setup like the one shown in this video -- clove hitch on my harness carabiner and a blake's hitch for ascending/descending. I'm using a friction saver in the tree and have made several short climbs to get the hang of things. So far, so good. I'm excited to climb higher.

Whenever I'm starting out a new, potentially dangerous, hobby, I like to ask those with more experience how a beginner is most likely to hurt himself to avoid having to learn the hard way! What are the most common causes of accidents among recreational climbers using MRS/DdRT?

My gear/setup:
ROPE, ARBORMASTER HAWKEYE 150'
SADDLE, NEW TRIBE TWIST
CARABINER, PIRATE AUTO-LOCK
FRICTION SAVER, CAMP HERBOL 120cm

Thanks in advance for your tips.

NIP Group
lowandslow

lowandslow

ArboristSite Operative
After watching dozens of youtube videos and reading The Tree Climber's Companion, I took the plunge and ordered the basic gear for a MRS/DdRT setup like the one shown in this video -- clove hitch on my harness carabiner and a blake's hitch for ascending/descending. I'm using a friction saver in the tree and have made several short climbs to get the hang of things. So far, so good. I'm excited to climb higher.

Whenever I'm starting out a new, potentially dangerous, hobby, I like to ask those with more experience how a beginner is most likely to hurt himself to avoid having to learn the hard way! What are the most common causes of accidents among recreational climbers using MRS/DdRT?

My gear/setup:
ROPE, ARBORMASTER HAWKEYE 150'
SADDLE, NEW TRIBE TWIST
CARABINER, PIRATE AUTO-LOCK
FRICTION SAVER, CAMP HERBOL 120cm

Thanks in advance for your tips.
Always wear a helmet..
I swung around and hit my noggin

Haironyourchest

Haironyourchest

ArboristSite Guru
Website
www.youtube.com
Taking chainsaws out of the equation obviously reduces your chances of getting hurt a lot. Your main risk of catastrophic failure is unclipping yourself by accident. I did a training course a few years ago, and one of the guys on the course did thus - he was advancing his main line and forgot to lanyard in before unclipping. He was totally without life support thirty feet up a sycamore. The instructor thankfully spotted this. He was discharged from the remainder of the course, pending further discussion with his employer. Kid was inches from death and didn't know it.

Always be tied in, lanyard or main line.