Just Starting Out - How am I most likely to hurt myself?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurferk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After watching dozens of youtube videos and reading The Tree Climber's Companion, I took the plunge and ordered the basic gear for a MRS/DdRT setup like the one shown in this video -- clove hitch on my harness carabiner and a blake's hitch for ascending/descending. I'm using a friction saver in the tree and have made several short climbs to get the hang of things. So far, so good. I'm excited to climb higher.

Whenever I'm starting out a new, potentially dangerous, hobby, I like to ask those with more experience how a beginner is most likely to hurt himself to avoid having to learn the hard way! What are the most common causes of accidents among recreational climbers using MRS/DdRT?

My gear/setup:
ROPE, ARBORMASTER HAWKEYE 150'
SADDLE, NEW TRIBE TWIST
CARABINER, PIRATE AUTO-LOCK
FRICTION SAVER, CAMP HERBOL 120cm

Thanks in advance for your tips.

After watching dozens of youtube videos and reading The Tree Climber's Companion, I took the plunge and ordered the basic gear for a MRS/DdRT setup like the one shown in this video -- clove hitch on my harness carabiner and a blake's hitch for ascending/descending. I'm using a friction saver in the tree and have made several short climbs to get the hang of things. So far, so good. I'm excited to climb higher.

Whenever I'm starting out a new, potentially dangerous, hobby, I like to ask those with more experience how a beginner is most likely to hurt himself to avoid having to learn the hard way! What are the most common causes of accidents among recreational climbers using MRS/DdRT?

My gear/setup:
SADDLE, NEW TRIBE TWIST

Always wear a helmet..
I swung around and hit my noggin

Taking chainsaws out of the equation obviously reduces your chances of getting hurt a lot. Your main risk of catastrophic failure is unclipping yourself by accident. I did a training course a few years ago, and one of the guys on the course did thus - he was advancing his main line and forgot to lanyard in before unclipping. He was totally without life support thirty feet up a sycamore. The instructor thankfully spotted this. He was discharged from the remainder of the course, pending further discussion with his employer. Kid was inches from death and didn't know it.

Always be tied in, lanyard or main line.

Gravity.. burns.. reacting to insects. Talking when you should be thinking. Working tired. And several I have not mentioned like a ground guy moving a truck.. or putting your line in a chipper.
The line in the Chipper I witnessed first hand. Stupid new guy that thinks he knows what he was doing!

Take safe tie ins. If you're not confident take something beefier. Don't take the ins above defects (check the tree before and during ascent). Tie into vertical stems.

Check, double check and triple check your knots.

Take up your slack as you go. It is more work but keeps you safe from a fall.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe :)

My gear/setup:
SADDLE, NEW TRIBE TWIST

And remove the clove hitch from your repertoire... anchor, buntline, figure 8 follow through, anything but a clove hitch, and always with a stopper knot
Like the JollyLogger said, get rid of that clove hitch, like yesterday.

Clear your mind of your date with the hot babe tonight and stay focused on what your doing. Learn and watch all the how to climb videos over and over, cut limbs from the bottom first halfway up then move the bar offset 2” from your bottom cut go slow it will fall away from you.

Latest posts

Back