Just starting out in Milling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not a Norm router station, it is my workbench. It was on old Masonite topped POS, I threw some 3/4 plywood on it, screw nice oak on all edges, laminate over the whole thing, route the oak/laminate for final trim and it makes a real clean surface.

Looks good Quietfly. I plan to start milling this year too. Did it cut the way you thought? Any problems or hiccups? And what did you end up choosing for a mill saw and chain?

That's nice looking stuff - big piece too! I've wondered what sass looks like - reminds me of ash. I hear the smell is nicer!

Looks good Quietfly. I plan to start milling this year too. Did it cut the way you thought? Any problems or hiccups? And what did you end up choosing for a mill saw and chain?
Grandberg mk III 24 inch, stihl 084 with 2 custom bars set up with 3/8 instead of 404.
It cut better than than i expected. No hiccups yet. Mind you it took all of 15 mins to mill that log.

Good stuff man. Did you recently purchase the 084? Mind me asking what ya payed for her? Oh and post some pics of the set up.

BOA

Hey Guys,
I'm just starting out in chainsaw milling, and i'm overwhelmed by the amount of info out there. I've read the milling 101 thread on this site several times over and have attempted to soak up every piece of info i can find on various other reputable, or in-famous boards.
My main purpose would be to mill small logs no larger than 24 inches, and make boards that are 13 to 15 by how ever long the log would be, to provide me with an abundant "free/cheap" supply of wood for projects.

Based on this would a panther mill II 30 inch be suitable for short boarding work? I've also looked at the
Granberg 777 & the Granberg MK-III. Panther looks bare bones but solid. I'm looking at picking up a used stihl 044 or a husky 281, or 390 as a mill saw.

I'm not sure what bar and chain i'll use, as again the amount of information is just staggering. i was leaning towards a ripping milling chain like the Oregon 72RD, but the low pro 3/8's chain supposedly being up to 30% faster also has some appeal.
I'll mostly be milling Maple as that's whats available to me here with some beech and Sassafras thrown in on occasion.

I figure i'd like to do it right, however i'd also not want this to be the start of a Divorce due to spending. :)
I appreciated any and all advice.
thanks!
-Chris

Hi Chris -
Welcome to the world of weird!
I run a 36"Alaskan MK3 on a Husky 372 and I have no worries.
That's a small 70cc motor pushing a long chain and here's a secret - get the auxiliary oiler and be liberal with the lubricant.
A bit of advice:

1. Keep the saw and the bar perfectly clean. I use my air compressor to clean my rig - daily so it's 100% dust free. Don't forget to clean the bar's groove.
2. Go slow - it makes for a cleaner cut. Think a year ahead to when you have to run the boards through a planer.
3. Get the logs off the ground. I use a car jack and 6x6's to raise it up prior to sawing - your back will thank you.
4. Use "stickers" from the same tree to separate your boards as you dry them - that will reduce staining on your valuable boards.

In closing, Chris, making your own projects out of wood - that you milled from a tree is pretty special - good going guy. Be extra nice to your wife...Picture 052.jpg

Im looking to make an aux oiler next,it's on the list. ... but the list just keeps getting bigger. I mount my logs on a ridgd work table that ive propped up with jack stands, i rarely get logs longer than 28 inches so i cant grunt them up there without an issue. I can't wait till i can use some of my own slabs to make stuff. A solar kiln is also on the list..... lol thanks for the kind words and advice.

Great tips Promac555. I'm also planning on using a 372 when I start milling, so that's all good to know.

And happy millin' Quietfly! After your first taste, it sounds like you are looking to go further already!

Honestly not sure what type of chain it is, it came with the saw and since nose and sprocket has been switched to run 3/8s i haven't picked up more chain yet. It cuts everything really well, so i cant complain.

Latest posts

Back