Just starting out in Milling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhh, that makes sense. I just put one of those light bars on my 064/066 hybrid. I really like them.

Aloha,
Just saw your post.
One essential thing to add to your mill is a winch. Best $50 I've ever spent. Get a cheap one and add a Kevlar line. The line won't stretch and is tough. It makes cutting sooooo much easier. I added a little pulley to the end of the ladder with a clip.

This and please invest in anti vibration gloves. They're cheap and really will save your hands.
IMG_3052.JPG IMG_3523.jpg

Anti vibe gloves are usually only needed running older saws and if you hold onto the saw.
I noticed a big reduction in vibe just going from the the "white finger" tingling and jelly forearm 076, to the 880.
Even on the 076, when I setup a remote (motor cycle) throttle on the wrap handle I found I no longer suffered from "white finger" so no longer needed the anti vibe gloves.
The other thing that reduces vibe is to use new handles covered with soft rubber mountain bike handle grips.

stance2x.jpg

Gloves.jpg

Anti vibe gloves are usually only needed running older saws and if you hold onto the saw.
I noticed a big reduction in vibe just going from the the "white finger" tingling and jelly forearm 076, to the 880.
Even on the 076, when I setup a remote (motor cycle) throttle on the wrap handle I found I no longer suffered from "white finger" so no longer needed the anti vibe gloves.
The other thing that reduces vibe is to use new handles covered with soft rubber mountain bike handle grips.

View attachment 540321

View attachment 540322

I need to set up a remote throttle. Been on my to do list for a long time.
My 084/088's do have a lot less vibe, but my 090's just cut better here in Hawaii on any exotic hardwood over 30" wide.

My Norwood came with remote throttle ,slick little setup .Not sure if they sell it seperate or not .norwood mill 6.jpg norwood mill 4.jpg norwood mill 3.jpg mill 261.jpg

Some people looked at me sweating over the mill saving some poor tree from firewood like I was nuts. They never looked in my wood shop or saw any finished products. Just knowing where the wood came from makes it more fun.
QrtrsawnSm.jpg
QrtrSawnSpeaker.jpg
Good looking 1/4 sawn oak and used handsomely as well.

Oh my forester tows great, i tow my 17 ft bass boat with it. The issue is no trailer, and more specifically the wifes mandate of no new toys until after the baby arrives in August.
Grandberg mk III 24 inch, stihl 084 with 2 custom bars set up with 3/8 instead of 404.
It cut better than than i expected. No hiccups yet. Mind you it took all of 15 mins to mill that log.
That 084 a good choice,3/8 chain helps get more from saw than w/.404 . Good looking cuts. Quietfly check my avatar. 60" bar on 460 running square chisel skip to keep from wearing out PH in that 1 cut. Ash stump. The beauty that shows up is just amazing to me. Mill safe

Back